Parents: White Teacher Should Not Teach Black History - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2003, 09:04 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:23 PM
[Q]Main Entry: rac∑ism
Pronunciation: 'rA-"si-z&m also -"shi-
Function: noun
Date: 1936
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination[/Q]

Well, here is Webster's Definition.

I would say if the table was turned on this topic and a black teacher was being told you cannot teach this class because of your skin color......the word Racism would be thrown out there.

reverse would be directed at white people

peace

Old 07-29-2003, 11:45 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
It is about race. The quotes are disgusting and insulting.

If it was just about it being a popular teacher then the "RACE" card should not have been played by the parents. however it WAS. It has been made into a RACIAL issue by people who are BIGGOTED towards white people. Let's call it what it is...reverse racism.

If it was about the teacher, then lets talk credentials, lets talk experience, demonstrate that the white teacher is not qualified to teach the content.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
The whole world is upside down these past few days. MLK must be really proud.
Yeah, no kidding.

Angela

Old 07-30-2003, 09:28 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:23 PM
If this were about a popular teacher's reassignment, the parents could protest without pulling the race card. Trying to cover up the racism involved furthers the notion that only whites can be racists.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:06 AM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:23 PM
Question to everyone: Why is it important to prove that black people can be racists?
Old 07-30-2003, 11:14 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler
Question to everyone: Why is it important to prove that black people can be racists?
Usually it is because then we white people can avoid turning the spotlight inward on ourselves and avoid really addressing the inherent racism that still exists in America today and the legitimate greivances that the black community has. At least that has been my experience when working with cross-cultural groups and race relations forums and discussions.

*edited to add that I don't intend the above comment to be a slam on people posting in this thread. It's just been my observation about these sorts of issues in general.

Old 07-30-2003, 01:02 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4

Usually it is because then we white people can avoid turning the spotlight inward on ourselves and avoid really addressing the inherent racism that still exists in America today and the legitimate greivances that the black community has. At least that has been my experience when working with cross-cultural groups and race relations forums and discussions.
I would agree and only add that it is because ALL PEOPLE can avoid turning the spotlight inward on ourselves.

It is very easy for someone to tell themselves that they are not racists (and they very may well not be). The next step is taking ownership of the problem and inserting oneself in situations where a pattern of racism (however subtle it may be) can be countered and, someday, overcome.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:03 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Racism shouldn't be seen as a strictly "white" issue because that just sidesteps really addressing the racism problem in this society. Unfortunately anyone can be a racist. These people are claiming that it's a "white" problem.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:19 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

Racism shouldn't be seen as a strictly "white" issue because that just sidesteps really addressing the racism problem in this society. Unfortunately anyone can be a racist. These people are claiming that it's a "white" problem.
The strength of racial politics lies, in part, on a presumption that one group can only be or is proned to racism.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:43 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:23 PM
I think that the idea that Black people are "as racist as white people" comes from a particular interpretation of the word racism. It implies that racism is just people not getting along or just a matter of individual people disliking people of a different race.

But racism isn't just people not being nice to each other, it's not just a white person not liking his black neighbour: it's the way in which an entire "race" of people are marginalised in society. In that sense, although Black people can have prejudices against white people, it is in no way comparable to the systematic discrimination which Black people currently face.

Certainly people of any "race" can have prejudices against those of other "races" but that isn't the same as the way in which Black people have been treated throughout history and continue to be treated today.

Or at least that's my opinion.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:16 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
I think that the idea that Black people are "as racist as white people" comes from a particular interpretation of the word racism. It implies that racism is just people not getting along or just a matter of individual people disliking people of a different race.
I posted the Webster dictionary definition. It is not a "particular interpretation". Nothing about the definition is implied.

Quote:
it's the way in which an entire "race" of people are marginalised in society. In that sense, although Black people can have prejudices against white people, it is in no way comparable to the systematic discrimination which Black people currently face.
I have provided a clear example of a rediculous situation in which a teacher was moved for scheduling purposes. This is perfectly legal within the operation of a school system.

The parents instead of dealing with this in a responsible manner are playing brought RACE into it. I am not trying to put words into your mouth, but it seems that you find it acceptable that THEIR biggoted attitude towards the white teacher is acceptable because of HISTORY. I hope I am misunderstanding you, but the history of the African people has nothing to do with this situation nor does it make the comments acceptable.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:22 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Anyone can be a racist.....if this were about white people protesting that a Chinese teacher was teaching European history I would be equally offended and pissed off.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:51 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
the history of the African people has nothing to do with this situation
really?

if this were a math class or a health class i would agree. but it is not, is it?
Old 07-30-2003, 09:01 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

really?

if this were a math class or a health class i would agree. but it is not, is it?
Are you trying to be funny or bait me? I will give you the benefit of the doubt but your vague comments in the past have led me to misunderstand your point.

If you read the whole response to Fizz's my comment is perfectly clear. Of course snipping half a sentence out of context of the entire point really is funny.

Now do I deny that the History has led us to where we are today...no. Is it relevant to the situation that the article presented. No.

Old 07-30-2003, 09:13 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Dread,

you seem to have strong feelings on this.

i was not trying to bait you.
it sounded funny to me, reading what you wrote.

if we were having a real time conversation i would have stopped you and said how can you say this has nothing to do with the history of african people.

here is your post
Quote:
I have provided a clear example of a rediculous situation in which a teacher was moved for scheduling purposes. This is perfectly legal within the operation of a school system.

The parents instead of dealing with this in a responsible manner are playing brought RACE into it. I am not trying to put words into your mouth, but it seems that you find it acceptable that THEIR biggoted attitude towards the white teacher is acceptable because of HISTORY. I hope I am misunderstanding you, but the history of the African people has nothing to do with this situation nor does it make the comments acceptable.

i realize it was part of a response to someone else, but the history of african people is at the core of this whole matter
the parents would not be going on and on if it was a math class.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:14 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks for clarifying.....

EDIT: FYM I changed my other post before reading you last one.

peace