Parents Choose Prayer Over Doctor, Daughter Dies - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 02:10 AM
The best way to deal with these types is to tell them that God blessed the Dr.'s with the knowledge and the strength to heal and that is why they are dr.'s and other people are not. The dr. is there to do God's work! God helps those who help themselves, so help yourself and get to the damn dr.!

Old 03-29-2008, 02:11 AM   #17
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:10 PM
Re: Parents Choose Prayer Over Doctor, Daughter Dies

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

The girl's mother, Leilani Neumann, said that she and her family believe in the Bible and that healing comes from God, but that they do not belong to an organized religion or faith, are not fanatics and have nothing against doctors.
If letting your child die because you're delusional enough to believe prayer is a better idea than seeing a doctor isn't enough to make you a fanatic, then what is?!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-29-2008, 02:21 AM   #18
The Male

Local Time: 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Not sure about this. I mean if you believe in prayer shouldn't it be an everyday, every scenario type of thing, not just when everything has failed?
Indeed it should.

Anyway, God gave you a brain and logic, so these people should have used theirs. Absolutely ridiculous.

Now.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:57 AM   #19
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:10 PM
Old 03-29-2008, 03:34 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:10 PM
Could just have easily been new agers.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:19 AM   #21
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:10 PM
What an awful way to die. She'd have felt so terribly ill leading up to that. How these parents could ignore that is just beyond comprehension.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:10 PM
Re: Re: Parents Choose Prayer Over Doctor, Daughter Dies

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

If letting your child die because you're delusional enough to believe prayer is a better idea than seeing a doctor isn't enough to make you a fanatic, then what is?!
Exactly.
and if they aren't of any particular religion, what grounds will they use as a defense.
Their own beliefs? Will that hold up in court?

I feel for the other 3 children left in their care. If not in their care anylonger then the possible miserable life in the foster system.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
Exactly right. One doesn't pray for God to transport you from New York to Los Angeles, you board a plane and pray for a safe flight.
The scriptures are not full of things like this.

and no one was ever made a saint because a believer said I prayed to them and I was teleported?

Every religious person I know will say they believe that praying can lead people to being cured.

This is what religious people teach and preach all the time.

I guess it is fine to impose religious beliefs on others when it suits ones goals.

What if an adult said I will take no medical procedures, I will pray for the Lord to heal me?

How many of you would want medical treatment forced on that individual?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Every religious person I know will say they believe that praying can lead people to being cured.

I guess it is fine to impose religious beliefs on others when it suits ones goals.

What if an adult said I will take no medical procedures, I will pray for the Lord to heal me?

How many of you would want medical treatment forced on that individual?

That of course, would depend on the nature of the illness or disease/injury etc.. and how well you knew the adult before said event.
But as an adult my wishes should be carried out in such an manner as my family, and lawyer have been instructed.
Especially if I become irrational to the point of saying something like this when they know it's not how I would normally act.
But if I had a devoutly religious sibling/friend who said it for themselves and I knew them to be this devout, then I would follow their instructions, since that is what they have told me from the beginning. Even though they could possibly be saved by medical means.
Children are different - they should not be allowed to suffer and die just because a devout parents prayer will save them.
I would intervene on a family or friends behalf and recommend the removal of a child in this situation, even if it was a sister or brother.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

These stories make me want to tear my hair out, and for all intents and purposes I do consider myself a Christian person. I have never understood the notion that God's will and science/medicine are mutually exclusive. I could not believe in a God if science and medicine were not God-willed. This case is one example of why I have avoided church and organized religion the past few years. I don't buy into the dichotomy of good vs. evil, Satan vs God, and that everything is one thing set against another (ie, prayer vs. medicine).
Old 03-31-2008, 06:29 AM   #26
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 12:10 PM

It makes me crazy when I read things like this too - extremism of any type in any form is just so dangerous and that poor little girl who would have trusted that her mum and dad would do the right thing by her - grrrr
Old 03-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

"Religious people"-would that be all or some? I consider my mother to be a religious person. My brother is a diabetic and never in a million years would she consider prayer to cure his diabetes. He was diagnosed as an adult but if it had been as a child she would consider science to help, because of course there is no cure. She prays, actually every night because that's what she likes to do. She prays for strength and comfort, but she is also a one hundred percent believer in science. Many "religious people" are that way, probably more than you might think. Many are rational, intelligent beings.

And I completely agree with sue, adults can make that choice for themselves if that's what they choose to do and they are mentally competent. Children can't, and your first obligation as a parent is to honor that and protect that and put their well being above any of your ideology, religion, whatever.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:20 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Maybe somebody should put them on trial for criminally negligent homicide and instead of getting a lawyer, they should sit there and pray not to go to jail.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:34 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Take her to the doctor and then pray. They're not mutually exclusive.
I agree.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Could just have easily been new agers.

Yeah.