Pakistan in a State of Emergency - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
She definitely did not have the security she needed.
Indeed she appeared to even be an easy target, given the recent attempt. So sad.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:46 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:39 PM
Quote:
She definitely did not have the security she needed. As I said earlier, both al Qaeda and Musharraf are at blame here, but if I were Musharraf I'd go hide in a cave myself because his actions (or lack thereof) have ticked off the people, the US, and he's always in disfavor with the terrorists.

Then there's al Qaeda, it'll be interesting to see if there will be any sort of civilian or military backlash against them as well.
Not to blame her, but standing through the sunroof of the car (i.e. when she was shot) probably wasn't the wisest decision. That is a huge security mistake.

Musharraf in power is still preferable to total anarchy. I doubt there'll be a backlash against the extremists in the tribal areas - the military has tried and failed in the past. It's sort of the same difficulty NATO faces in Afghanistan against the Taliban -i.e. NATO is losing there.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Pakistan has a history of political assassination and other similar murderous activities for a good 60 years - long before al Qaeda was ever around. I wouldn't put too much stock into their claims. It is a convenient boogeyman to blame; certainly more palatable than the alternative?
Yep. It's way too early to blandly go for the Fox News/CNN 'Al Qaeda must have done it. Dem's de bad guys' type of conclusion -mind you, on the other hand I can't see the benefit from Musharraf's point of view of assassinating Bhutto either. He is certainly not a stupid person, and I do not see a positive outcome from these events for him

Actually, if one looks at the question from a 'cui bono' perspective one might look in the direction of the Islamist politicians, like Nawaz Sharif and Imran Khan - the latter of whom said some pretty unpleasant things about Bhutto in an article in the UK Daily Telegraph a few months ago.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:36 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:39 PM
Actually, I didn't hear it from CNN, and they are not just speculating. Islamist websites linked to al Qaeda are claiming responsibility.

How much truth there is to the claim I don't know, but al Qaeda has been targeting Bhutto for a long time now, and I don't understand why some find it so hard to believe that yes, al Qaeda actually kills people and not just corrupt governments!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:38 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't understand why some find it so hard to believe that yes, al Qaeda actually kills people and not just corrupt governments!
?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:39 PM
Quote:
How much truth there is to the claim I don't know, but al Qaeda has been targeting Bhutto for a long time now, and I don't understand why some find it so hard to believe that yes, al Qaeda actually kills people and not just corrupt governments!
Who and/or what are 'Al Qaeda'?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:31 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Balochistan has seen recent killings of Bhutto supporters. A group like the Baloch Liberation Army can't be ruled out.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:50 PM   #53
may
The Fly

I am deeply saddened by the untimely death of the beautiful Benazir Bhutto. What a tragedy. She was such a bright light for a country in chaos and was so brave to reach out to the Pakistani people. I sincerely hope that someone will step up to the plate and be as brave as she was to help Pakistan become a nation of peace.

Furthermore, I have concerns about the money the U.S. is sending to Pakistan to "stop" the war on terror. We have given in excess of 5 billion dollars yet the Taliban and al Queda (sp?) is getting stronger? This doesn't make sense to me. I think the president of Pakistan may be (or someone within) may be filtering our money to the ones we are trying to fight.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:02 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by may
I am deeply saddened by the untimely death of the beautiful Benazir Bhutto. What a tragedy. She was such a bright light for a country in chaos and was so brave to reach out to the Pakistani people. I sincerely hope that someone will step up to the plate and be as brave as she was to help Pakistan become a nation of peace.
She was not the saint you make her out to be.

RIP.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:09 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by may

Furthermore, I have concerns about the money the U.S. is sending to Pakistan to "stop" the war on terror. We have given in excess of 5 billion dollars yet the Taliban and al Queda (sp?) is getting stronger? This doesn't make sense to me. I think the president of Pakistan may be (or someone within) may be filtering our money to the ones we are trying to fight.
The same could be said for the tens of billions of dollars that the US and NATO have spent in Afghanistan. Military funding does not guarantee results or "victory". NATO is losing in Afghanistan.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:36 AM   #56
may
The Fly

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaveC
[B]

I understand that there was quite a scandal before her exile, but she was for helping the people of Pakistan.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:11 AM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

shit................

I've actually been on vacation {day/nite #3 of 4}......

and I mean REALLY on vaction .....
News Junkie that I am..........EVEN when I'm on vacation
i usually read the papers/listen to All News station, plus another one with a particular POV.........

Except this time THATparticular news station-- I can barely get in the part of NYC I am vacationing in (vs my home in another part of NYC)............
SO i figured OK... I'll make it truely a vacation and NOT LISTEN TO the news...............

WHAT the fuck WAS I THINKING coming into FYM tonight !??!!

i just caught the full thread's title then--
I scrolled SO QUICKLY thru the pasted item that I missed the whole assasination thing........UNTIL I looked down the rest of FYM threads.........

*runs around in a metaphorical circle yelling "aaaccccckkkkkkk!!!"*

*puts on Metaphorical Blinders*
I'm going home to drool over Bono & Co{ R&H/Zoo TV DVD's} and Dr Dianel Jackson {SG1} RIGHT NOW!!!!!

oh & BTW since a bunch of you don't know me- since i rarely post here in the past 1 1/2 yrs.......and will think I'm either being sarcastic/?sardonic/ or plain serious about the stuff right above this paragraph here^^^^^^

I was already precocious socio-politically by the time I was 12-13 in 65/66 ( Mayor Lindsey- "it's the second hardest job in America" campaign slogan). I lived (wailed through) 1968 .... & [& other awful times] beyond.
I earned my "drooling rights" a long time ago.

anyway by the time sat will roll around i'll be back in the news stream, and i'll read at least part of this thread.

and for the few who do know me here unico, u2dem, vert. (VP if you're still dropping in)..... S
Old 12-28-2007, 05:19 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

RIP.
Who is?

Especially in politics. . .

Old 12-28-2007, 08:44 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

I found out about the assassination last night. First I read she'd died, then I found out she'd been shot. RIP.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Actually, if one looks at the question from a 'cui bono' perspective one might look in the direction of the Islamist politicians, like Nawaz Sharif and Imran Khan - the latter of whom said some pretty unpleasant things about Bhutto in an article in the UK Daily Telegraph a few months ago.
Even U.S. officials referred to Bhutto as one of the worst PMs ever several years ago.