Pakistan in a State of Emergency - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2007, 08:53 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Benazir Bhutto is dead, her husband said she was shot in the neck after a suicide blast today at a rally.
OMG....what a blow!!

RIP Benazir.....

From the CNN website:

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan (CNN) -- Pakistan former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto has died after a suicide bombing that killed at least 14 of her supporters, ex-government spokesman Tariq Azim Khan and Pakistan's primary television networks said.

Video of the scene just moments before the explosion showed Bhutto stepping into a heavily-guarded vehicle to leave the rally.

Khan said while it appeared Bhutto was shot, it was unclear if her bullet wounds were caused by a shooting or shrapnel from the bomb.

The suicide attack left at least 14 dead and 40 injured, Khan told CNN in a telephone interview.

The attacker is said to have detonated a bomb as he tried to enter the rally where thousands of people gathered to hear Bhutto speak, police said.

Video from the scene of the blast broadcast from Geo TV showed wounded people being loaded into ambulances.

Up to 20 people are dead, the report said.

Earlier, four supporters of former Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif died when members of another political party opened fire on them at a rally near the Islamabad airport Friday, local police said.

Several other members of Sharif's party were wounded, police added.

While President Pervez Musharraf has promised free and fair parliamentary elections next month, continued instability in the tribal areas and the threat of attack on large crowds has kept people from attending political rallies and dampened the country's political process.

Campaigners from various political groups say fewer people are coming out to show their support due to government crackdowns and the threat of violence.

Thursday's violence come less than two weeks ahead of January parliamentary elections and as many days after President Pervez Musharraf lifted a six-week-old state of emergency he said was necessary to ensure the country's stability.

Critics said Musharraf's political maneuvering was meant to stifle the country's judiciary as well as curb the media and opposition groups to secure more power.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:04 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:01 AM

No good will come of this...at least in the short term.

I also want to add that unfortunately I am not surprised by this. I fear for the people of Pakistan and the potential violent backlash that may arise from this.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:01 AM
Wow. I just read this on CNN.com.

Wow.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

From Time.com

Bhutto: "She has been Martyred"
By Aryn Baker

Just days before parliamentary polls in Pakistan, leading Prime Ministerial contender and anti terrorism crusader Benazir Bhutto was shot dead during an election rally in the garrison city of Rawalpindi, near Islamabad. "She has been martyred," said party official Rehman Malik. The Associated Press, citing Malik, reported that Bhutto was shot in the neck and the chest before the gunman blew himself up. At least 20 bystanders were killed in the blast. Bhutto was rushed to a hospital But, at 6:16 p.m. Pakistan time, she was declared dead.

""How can somebody who can shoot her get so close to her with all the so-called security?" said a distraught Husain Haqqani, a former top aide to Bhutto, shortly after news of her death flashed around the world. Haqqani, who served as a spokesman and top aide to Bhutto for more than a decade, blamed Pakistani security, either through neglect or complicity, in her assassination. "This is the security establishment, which has always wanted her out," he said through tears.

For the past several months Pakistan has been plagued by a wave of violence that has seen hundreds of civilians killed in similar bombing attacks; and hundreds more military personnel, prompting President Pervez Musharraf to declare a state of emergency. On December 16th, Musharraf lifted the state of emergency, stating that the threat had been contained. The bombings, however, continued. Just hours before her assassination, Bhutto, 54, met with visiting Afghan President Hamid Karzai to discuss the threat of terrorism against both countries.

The U.S. has long supported a return to power by Bhutto, who was perceived to be a moderate willing to work with Washington on the war on terror. She was also seen as a democratic leader who would serve as a counter to the plummeting popularity of Musharraf, who took power in a 1999 military coup. It was thought that a power-sharing deal between the two, in which Musharraf stayed on as president while Bhutto lead as prime minister, would promote stability in this nuclear armed nation of 165 million. But from the day of her arrival in Pakistan after eight years in exile, Bhutto's return has been marred by violence.

On October 18th, a pair of bombs detonated in the midst a welcome home rally in Karachi for the former two-time prime minister, killing some 145 in a deliberate attempt on her life. The organization responsible for the carnage has not yet been identified, but Bhutto said she suspected al Qaeda and some unspecified members of Musharraf's government who did not want to see her return to power. Despite the clear threat to her life, Bhutto continued to campaign publicly with the kind of mass rallies that are the cornerstone of politicking in Pakistan. "I am not afraid," she told TIME last month, "I am ready to die for my country."

Haqqani, now a professor at Boston University, isn't sure what the latest bloodshed means for his country. "Will the Pakistani military realize that this is going to tear the fabric of the nation apart, and so really get serious about securing the country and about getting serious in dealing with the extremist jihadis?" he wondered. But he made clear he feels the best chance for such a policy has just evaporated. "She did show courage, and she was the only person who spoke out against terrorism," he said. "She was let down by those in Washington who think that sucking up to bad governments around the world is their best policy option."

Pakistan can ill afford to sacrifice the few moderate leaders it has left. Bhutto's death will plunge the upcoming elections into uncertainty and the country further into instability. And that's good news for terrorism. With reporting by Mark Thompson/Washington
Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

I also want to add that unfortunately I am not surprised by this.
That's what I thought when I read the news. Shocked, but ultimately not surprised.

Sad news though.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Definitely not surprising.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

No, not surprising, given the risks involved. Still very sad, though.

It's a shame.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Bhutto assassination could hurt US in Pakistan
--Nic Robertson, CNN Senior International Correspondent

Today's assassination of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto is a blow for democracy in Pakistan and seems likely to cement the military's grip on power for the near future.

It will likely raise very serious concerns for the Bush administration that had been working behind the scenes since last summer to encourage Benazir Bhutto to end her exile, return to Pakistan, and seek political compromise with President Musharaff.

With Bhutto now dead, and Musharaff having shocked and disappointed US diplomats and State Department officials with his recent state of emergency, it seems the US has few reliable partners left.

The immediate future for Pakistanis seems undoubtedly one of high uncertainty with suspicion for Bhutto's death variously falling on President Musharaff, the country's intelligence services, and radical Islamists.

Any hope of having free and fair parliamentary elections, as scheduled for next month, appear to have been crushed.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:35 AM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 02:01 AM
This is shocking and worrysome. I was on her side. Now what's going to happen? So scary cause they got the bomb.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #25
Refugee

It is said that she is gone of course whatever her political beliefs.

However, she might become a symbol of the movement which would bring promise out of her death....
Old 12-27-2007, 12:24 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:01 AM
I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. But still, it's so crazy and sad.

And they say the elections are only days away.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 12-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by canedge

However, she might become a symbol of the movement which would bring promise out of her death....
Let's hope and pray this is the case.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:01 AM
Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

This is just awful. I'm not surprised, but I'm quite saddened that this doesn't come as a surprise to many of us. What a frightening state of affairs. I'm concerned for what is going to happen now.