Overheard on Saudi National Television and other stations in the Middle East - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2004, 01:07 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:31 AM
That is such a scary and dangerous thing. It's sad these things are always ignored or dismissed so easily because of PC

Old 06-25-2004, 04:43 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Overheard on Saudi National Television and other stations in the Middle East

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Dread, you noted the same theme from the Prime Minister of Malaysia here .
Doug, I was going to search for that thread....What I was reading reminded me of that.

Old 06-25-2004, 05:38 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
But once again, taking up for the ones who 'aren't like that' always covers up for and excuses and hides the ones who are.
True. That's what I was trying not to do in discussing the Wahhabists and the Deobandis. There are Wahhabists in the U.S. and now with the Internet they can operate whole networks of people in the U.S. just by opening listservers and inviting gullible people to sign up. It's scary.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:41 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

That is scary!

Does anybody know where Farakkan's Nation of Islam stand on these issues?
Old 06-25-2004, 06:57 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
That is scary!

Does anybody know where Farakkan's Nation of Islam stand on these issues?
I don't know. The only thing I know about their activities is that they did send a delegation to the rally against the Iraq war here in Birmingham in February 2003. They're a strange group, very stand-offish. They are not Sunni Muslims; they have their own mosques.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:00 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

They're kind of intimidating. Once Michael Jackson aligned himself with them, I heard his 'wife' was trying to get the kids away, something she never wanted to do before. She said she doesn't like that kind of influence. I know they have been anti-US in the past. I guess they haven't issued a public statement but they must have an opinion, whatever is is
Old 06-25-2004, 07:11 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

That was *weird* when Michael Jackson was around them. I really don't know anything about their politics. They didn't mix with the other people at the rally.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:03 AM   #23
The Fly

Dreadsox: Forgive me if this is a little OT from your thread, but I feel the need to address this:
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
End religion. It kills.
The interesting thing (especially from an atheistic viewpoint, I would imagine) is that God totally agrees with this philosophy.
Why?
Because "religion" is all about people going through the motions of man-made traditions in order to feel that they're a good, righteous person, when the truth is that:
1) God wants a personal relationship with people, not distant servants going through the motions of repetitive tasks with no real meaning, and
2) it's impossible for people to become righteous through any "religious" activities.

I know all of this may sound like more "religion", but the truth is that I've found the genuine article through first-hand experience. I have actually come into contact with our creator and now have a close relationship with him in a manner similar to how Bono talks about God and to God from time to time.

How did this come about?
The first thing we need to do is to be able to "make contact" with God, and to answer how to do this, we have to understand why we aren't in contact with him now.
The reason why is because the sins that we have committed throughout our lives (and we've all done some stuff that's wrong, whether big or small) have separated us from God. Because God is righteous, he can't get near anyone who is tainted by sin.

So in other words, the first step that we have to take is to ask for forgiveness and get cleaned up so that God can get near us in this life and wipe our rap sheet clean on judgement day in the next life, and we do this through his son Jesus (not any particular church or denomination).

After that, God's spirit actually comes and lives in your heart on a daily basis, and it's just a matter trying to talk to God and getting to know him better every day, and then eventually, just like any human relationship, as time passes you'll get to know him better and better until you have a close relationship with him.

And I promise you that I'm not spouting out something that I've read or heard on TV...I've experienced this first-hand and it's real.

I'd say dump religion and all of its baggage and give God himself a chance. You might be pleasantly surprised.