Overheard at the Peace Protests - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2004, 12:50 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by tackleberry

I agree. If you're gonna blame a "bush" for the 9-11 attacks, put the blame on George Bush senior. It was his "false" intentive war in 1991 in the Gulf, his need for his approval rating to rise before an election year, his world oil price monitoring, his deploying of 4000 U.S. troops stationed in Saudia Arabia that began this Al-Q. anger towards the USA in the first place. And it was Clinton who ignored the 1st WTC bombing, the U.S. embasy bombing in Kenya, and the USS Cole bombing at sea. He thought by sending a couple of cruise missiles to Afghanistan he would "solve the problem."

And while I think Dubya's reaction to 9-11 and his diverting attention by making another "false" intentive war in Iraq is completely WRONG and ARROGANT, I don't think he is the one to blame for the 9-11 attacks. No one could have predicted something that horrific. The only thing you can blame Dubya for is his reaction to it....
Bush Sr. did not invade and occupy Kuwait in and unprovoked attack in 1990/1991, that was Saddam.

Old 03-22-2004, 05:30 PM   #17
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Bush Sr. did not invade and occupy Kuwait in and unprovoked attack in 1990/1991, that was Saddam.
No. But his son (Dubya) invaded and occupied Iraq in an unprovoked attack in 2003/2004.

Old 03-22-2004, 06:56 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Quote:

No. But his son (Dubya) invaded and occupied Iraq in an unprovoked attack in 2003/2004.
Sorry but Saddam was in violation of the Cease Fire Agreement from the Gulf War. Unprovoked nope!

But dang if we keep getting threads derailed.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:21 AM   #19
War Child

Saddam was in violation of a "UN" resolution, yet the UN did not support the war in Iraq. Explain that to me. What gives the US the right to BREAK from the UN in an arrogant display of machismo, when Saddam violated a resoultion that was enforced by a UNITED NATIONS, yet I hardley think most nations were UNITED in this effort.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:12 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

If the US violated the law, explain why the UN has passed resolutions recognizing the action in Iraq as legit since the war?
Old 03-23-2004, 03:05 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:16 PM
Old 03-23-2004, 03:23 PM   #22
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
If the US violated the law, explain why the UN has passed resolutions recognizing the action in Iraq as legit since the war?
I never said the US "violated the law," I want to know how the US can invade a country that violates a UN RESOLUTION when the UN does not support that invasion? Doesn't the "UN" make the resoultions? THe UN not the U.S.?
Old 03-23-2004, 04:32 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Back to the thread topic....

How do you disassoiciate yourselves from these types of protestors? I wonder how you can keep sucj people out? Can;t the event organizers do anything about it?
Old 03-23-2004, 04:56 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Back to the thread topic....

How do you disassoiciate yourselves from these types of protestors? I wonder how you can keep sucj people out? Can;t the event organizers do anything about it?
Wouldn't that be censorship? You can't keep the nuts out of the right you can't keep them out of the left. It's like freakin Snickers, they're packed with nuts.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:02 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

I suppose, but if you are the organizer of the protest parade...and you pulled the permits for the parade, don;t you havea legal right to who marches in your parade? I am asking this out of pure ignorance on how this works.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:08 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I want to know how the US can invade a country that violates a UN RESOLUTION when the UN does not support that invasion? Doesn't the "UN" make the resoultions? THe UN not the U.S.?
You're right, of course. I think it's interesting to see the lengths some of the pro-war camp will go to to claim the war was backed by the UN. To any impartial observer it is blatantly obvious that the UN did not support the war, as shown by the US and UK refusing to have a vote on a resolution authorising the war as they knew they would be defeated. As you say, it's the UN's responsibility to enforce its resolutions, it's not up to individual states to take matters into their own hands under the pretence of enforcing the will of the UN.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:10 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:16 AM
Quote:
I suppose, but if you are the organizer of the protest parade...and you pulled the permits for the parade, don;t you havea legal right to who marches in your parade? I am asking this out of pure ignorance on how this works.
I think we should not ban this kind of signs, at least you can see who those people ( with this signs ) are and what they represent.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:11 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Good question, I don't really know how this works...
Old 03-23-2004, 05:13 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
I think we should not ban this kind of signs, at least you can see who those people ( with this signs ) are and what they represent.
I would be more inclined to think that a peace rally would gain more credibility without them.

If they want to have a hate lie fest, let them pull their own permits.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:33 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
It's quite possibly different in the US, but here the answer would be no.

In any case, I would be opposed to censorship of an antiwar march. For all you might dislike the Spartacist Youth League (and believe me, I do too) they have a right to be there and express their opposition to war. For all you might dislike people celebrating Aznar's failure to be re-elected, those people have a right to express their opinion.

One of the best things about the antiwar movement is its inclusiveness and diversity. I've been on demonstrations and seen placards from every major political party in this country - Labour against the war, Tories against the war, Lib Dems against the war, Plaid Cymru against the war and more. I've spoken to people who oppose the war from an isolationist perspective, believing Britain should only go to war to defend its national interests, not for humanitarian reasons. I've heard speeches from people who opposed the war because they're pacifists, opposed to any military action. I've read leaflets with elaborate explanations of why people oppose the war from a religious perspective. I've seen placards condeming the war because the money used to fight it could have been used to fund education or healthcare in this country. All on the same demonstration!

I don't agree with all of those views but I believe the antiwar movement is stronger and more vibrant because they are all represented. The worldwide demonstrations against the attack on Iraq were so huge and powerful precisely because they united millions people of otherwise diverse political opinion around one belief: War on Iraq was wrong.

So even if the legislation in the US did permit organizers to prevent certain people from demonstrating, I would sincerely hope they would respect the diversity of this movement enough not to do so.