Overheard at the local Mosque after Bombings in Spain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do not know that the founding father's use of the word God as in God the Creator means the same thing as God does today as interpreted by many of our nation's churches. The founding fathers while Mason's were also Unitarians. They did not believe in the Trinity. It is hard for me to call them hypocrites when we are the ones who have a different interpretation of God.

Elvis,

"Times have changed... , in todays context, many people DO NOT believe in God, nor an entity, power, or being named/labeled as God."

Well, most polls show that more than 95% of Americans believe in a God today. There of course is no polling data on this question for the 1700s, so one cannot accurately say that "times have changed" as far as the general's publics answer to this question.

"While a great majority of the population may be religious, this is not a religious nation."

That depends on your definition of what one considers a "religious nation". I and I think most people would consider the United States to be a "religious nation" in a general sense.

Elvis said:
Despite the hypocrasy of our founding fathers, that does not give reason to ignore the fact that the intentions were clear: separation of church and state.

No. The clear intention was to prevent the establishment of a state-controlled church (a la Church of England).

I do not have the time to look it up now.

But I do remember that the phrase "endowed by the creator" was previously written as "endowed at birth"

There were many rewrites and compromises by the so-called 'founding fathers"

This country was going to be a non-slave holding country except that Virginia and South Carolina would not ratify without slavery.

btw, it is not possible for Kerry to be the 2nd black Prisident and Clinton was not the first. Those horors belong to Jefferson, and most of the first half dozen presidents.

The electorial votes were weighted so that large slave holding states got electorial vote based on a census including a 3/5 count for slaves.

These extra electorial votes determined many elections.

deep said:

btw, it is not possible for Kerry to be the 2nd black Prisident and Clinton was not the first. Those horors belong to Jefferson, and most of the first half dozen presidents.

The electorial votes were weighted so that large slave holding states got electorial vote based on a census including a 3/5 count for slaves.

These extra electorial votes determined many elections.

And this relates to this thread how? I think you once again have your threads confused. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom