Over ONE MILLION Strong!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
I recently traveled to Philadelphia as a ONE Campaign delegate and was overjoyed to hear at a press conference that the day before Live8, the ONE Campaign reached a huge goal. One million Americans have joined with ONE, making ONE one of the fastest growing non-partisan issue campaigns in American history! And from being at Live8 I saw how long the lines were for more people willing to sign the declaration :up:

I just wanted to let you all know in case you've not heard yet and to thank all of you who have stepped forward and been a part of this movement that seems to have no signs of slowing down. We can make a difference!

:heart:

starsgoblue said:
I recently traveled to Philadelphia as a ONE Campaign delegate and was overjoyed to hear at a press conference that the day before Live8, the ONE Campaign reached a huge goal. One million Americans have joined with ONE, making ONE one of the fastest growing non-partisan issue campaigns in American history! And from being at Live8 I saw how long the lines were for more people willing to sign the declaration :up:

I just wanted to let you all know in case you've not heard yet and to thank all of you who have stepped forward and been a part of this movement that seems to have no signs of slowing down. We can make a difference!

:heart:

:up:

How was the show?

That's great to hear:applaud:

I've been wondering how it was going and if all the people at the concerts got the message or were just there for the music.

nbcrusader, you actually bring up a very good point.

While it is important for the movement for Africa's Future to sign up as many people to ONE as possible, the important thing is going to be the followthrough of those who are wearing a white band.

This Fall, Congress will be making vital decisions on the FY2006 budget which will affect the funding levels for the programs of the U.S. government to fight AIDS and extreme poverty in Africa and the developing world.

If the initial enthusiasm of the Live8 concerts and the international whiteband movement are not followed up with dedicated people who will make the phone calls and do the emails to their Congresspeople to FULLY FUND THESE PROGRAMS, the People of Africa will benefit little.

That is the challenge of this movement - only time will see if we will deliver for Africa.

I know that I will continue my best to try to make a difference for Africa as I have been for over twenty-five years. :yes:

Well, personally you could argue the same thing about U2 concerts having promoted the campaign so heavily too....I mean the million mark was pretty damn close in the horizon several weeks ago.... The thing is this though--the fact that this is one of the fastest growing issue campaign in American history is something that can't be denied. And I DON'T think it's merely because of the celebrity exposure (although I'm not arguing against the fact that it helps--but even then most people that I've personally gotten signatures from hadn't even seen the television commercials when I asked whether or not they had....), there is a lot of unchampioned heroes that aren't celebs that hit the pavement in support of this!

I know, stars - I'm one of them.

There are a lot of grassroots people out in the USA who truly care about Africa (and who have truly cared about Africa) for many years - it isn't a recent thing.

Many of us started in the anti-apartheid movement in th 1980's.

Our historic commitment to Africa should be honored more.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom