Outlawing Corporal Punishment - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:03 AM
Outlawing Corporal Punishment

Pols debate ban on spanking
By Laurel J. Sweet | Tuesday, November 27, 2007 | http://www.bostonherald.com

Parents who spank their kids - even in their own homes - would be slapped by the long arm of the law under an Arlington nurse’s proposal to make Massachusetts the first state in the nation to outlaw corporal punishment.

Kathleen Wolf’s proposed legislation will be debated at a State House hearing tomorrow morning.

If signed into law, parents would be prohibited from forcefully laying a hand on any child under age 18 unless it was to wrest them from danger, lest they be charged with abuse or neglect.

Rep. Jay Kaufman, a Lexington Democrat, submitted the 61-year-old Wolf’s petition at her request, but is not taking a position for or against corporal punishment.

“He does recognize and understand the concern many would have on legislating parental rights,” said Sean Fitzgerald, Kaufman’s chief of staff, “but the problem is the boundary is often overstepped. The right to hit should never be the right to hurt.”

Charles Enloe, 45, of Plymouth, knows a little something about that. In 2005, he was infamously arrested and charged with assault with a dangerous weapon for taking a belt to his then 12-year-old son during an argument over homework.

The charges were later dropped and Enloe told the Herald yesterday the experience “didn’t change my views at all. I believe discipline starts at home. Are they going to start legislating that you can’t raise your voice to your kids? That you can’t tell them when to go to bed? We’ll be communists then.”

The state Supreme Judicial Court agreed in principle when it ruled in 1999 that parents can spank their kids provided they don’t threaten bodily injury.

Corporal punishment in the home is already illegal in Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Latvia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Sweden and the Ukraine.

In 1979, Sweden became the first country in the world to ban spanking. Anders Erickson, spokesman for the Embassy of Sweden in Washington, D.C., said in the 1960s 53 percent of Swedes backed corporal punishment of children. By the 1990s, that number was less than 10 percent.

“There are other ways and means to bring up children than to beat them,” Erickson said. “Much better ways.”

An ombudsman is available to children in Sweden to report allegations of corporal punishment. Parents face jail time if it’s found they’ve stepped out of line.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:03 AM
There's a huge problem out there that so many "parents" don't know how to be parents, but it's not the right of the government to tell them how. I do understand though that the government needs to protect the children. But this isn't the way.

Personally if I have kids I probably won't spank, but I know plenty of good parents that know how to in a constructive and not vengeful manner.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Re: Outlawing Corporal Punishment

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
"I believe discipline starts at home. Are they going to start legislating that you can’t raise your voice to your kids? That you can’t tell them when to go to bed? We’ll be communists then.”
What does communism have to do with it? Dumbass.

If you have to use a weapon/object to do the beating, then it's too much. I think this would be pretty un-enforceable; the government does a lousy job policing "real" child abuse, never mind trying to outlaw spanking.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:03 PM
Re: Re: Outlawing Corporal Punishment

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan

It just sounds so good to call everything communism if you don't agree with it.

I didn't know it was illegal here, but think parents really shouldn't ever use it in any way.
Discipline isn't learned by getting slapped.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:03 PM
My parents spanked us. It's not always bad. We don't need a law banning spanking. I didn't know it was illegal in that many countries.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:03 PM
Re: Re: Outlawing Corporal Punishment

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
Yeah?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:03 AM
Has Kathleen Wolf ever had kids?
Old 11-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

All those baseball players smacking each other's asses in congratulations will be in trouble.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
Forum Moderator

While it wouldn't affect my parenting any if there were such a law, I really don't see this proposal going anywhere.

Doesn't sound like Charles Enloe would make a compellingly well-spoken advocate for any groups looking to oppose it, though. I guess we're probably still a few decades away from overcoming our Cold War habit of reflexively associating anything and everything dystopic-sounding with "godless Communists" and vice versa.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-27-2007, 05:31 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I wouldn't spank my kids if I had kids, because it was done to me and in my opinion it was abuse. I think using a belt or any such thing is abuse. I feel that too often it happens as a result of loss of emotional control by parents and is the "easy" thing to do rather than other methods. I'm sure that some parents can do it properly but personally I see no benefit from it, and think it creates anger and resentment in kids, and confusion. And it's poor role modeling for solving problems. I do think laws would be good to define exactly when it becomes abuse.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

I've never understood people who claim to spank dispassionately. If you're that unemotional, can't you take a step back and think of better forms of punishment/reinforcement? I think the need to spank stems from a combination of lazy parenting, and leftover, outdated mores in our society.

ETA - I should clarify, before I open a hornet's nest here, that I think a great many parents are probably well-intentioned, and fall into the latter category. Their parents did it, and they reason that it didn't hurt them, so they do it. I still don't think it's necessary, though.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:01 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I don't advocate for spanking, but I think there is a time and a place for it and only if objects are not involved. It may seem outdated and cold, but I think that it can be effective in some circumstances.

I guess I don't understand the need to legislate this. We have laws against child abuse and clearly chronic corporal punishment would fall under this category, but I don't see how a one time slap, squeeze, etc is a crime. How would it be enforced? Do you take the word of the child, even if that child is fairly young? I could also see how this law could potentially be abused (no pun intended) by an angry teenager. What better way to get back at mom and dad than to say that they hit me? I know it's a well intentioned law, but it just doesn't seem to accomplish much.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Outlawing Corporal Punishment

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

It just sounds so good to call everything communism if you don't agree with it.

I didn't know it was illegal here, but think parents really shouldn't ever use it in any way.
Discipline isn't learned by getting slapped.
of course it fucking well is.

how is it not?

there's a difference between beating a kid and spanking a kid.

if people can't tell the difference, they should be embarassed.

this reminds me of that onion article i read recently about the governments of the world agreeing to make the world "child proof".

spanking's been around forever, and it's not a bad thing if done right.

i can never win this discussion, so i'll leave it at that. most people make for awful parents anyway, so what the fuck do i care how they discipline.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Yeah, I'm really embarrassed to not knowing the English language in all its nuances.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:24 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
There's a huge problem out there that so many "parents" don't know how to be parents, but it's not the right of the government to tell them how. I do understand though that the government needs to protect the children. But this isn't the way.

Personally if I have kids I probably won't spank, but I know plenty of good parents that know how to in a constructive and not vengeful manner.
I fully agree. It wouldn't be my first method in dealing with a child, but like others have said here, many parents have no ill intentions with doing such a thing. Zoomerang96 is right-there IS a difference between a quick, short swat on the behind and beating up a child. A very big difference.

I have a real issue with them going so far as to tell people they can't do that in their own homes. Sorry, what? Since when do you get to decide what people do in the privacy of their own home?

Besides, will outlawing it really stop parents from doing this? Probably not. Instead of outlawing it altogether, what might help is parents learning other methods of discipline for a child, learning how to control their temper, that sort of thing.

Angela