Out of Control Amish Buggies!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
I think it is time we stopped the Amish from driving their buggies on the streets. They are a danger to all and cause too many traffic accidents.:wink:

Here is the data:

Between 1996 and 2000, there were 371 traffic accidents in Pennsylvania involving horse-drawn buggies, 16 of them fatal, according to state Department of Transportation records. The crashes claimed 18 lives and left 442 people injured.

What do you think?????

I used to always pass through Amish country on my way to the University of Delaware from home in PA. I love the countryside and the Amish and the Buggies. You see most of them on RT 896 which is a one lane road each way and has many hills and extreme turns. Terrain, type of road, plus 5 mph Amish buggies means that drivers need to be very careful and not drive above the posted speed limit of 45 mph. I usually only go 45 mph on the straight aways but average 35 mph most of the way on 896. Sure it takes longer, but your going slow enough to react in time to that buggie that has just pulled out on to the road on the otherside of the hill your about to quickly go over. Everyone passes the buggies by going into the opposite lane, when they get behind one. The Key is knowing when to pass and when not to. Its surprising to see how many drivers don't seem to understand this. Then you always get the Crazed person that decides to go 75 mph despite everything I listed above.

I think the problem is people who do not take care when they drive and refuse to drive "under" the posted speed limit of 45 mph.

Summaries of stories from my morning paper:

In Holton, PA, a van ran into an Amish buggy on a bridge over the Susquehanna River, killing the horse and seriously injuring 6 of the 7 occupants, 5 were kids.

In Leon, NY, a horse was spooked by a passing car and dumped the buggy he was pulling into a pond, drowning 4-year-old Veronica Miller and her 12-year old brother. The parents and 5 other kids were treated and released at a local hospital.

So what we have here is large Amish families stuffing everyone into these old fashioned things and taking them out on roads where people drive, even at the posted speed limit, far faster than the horse can trot, so it is a safety issue. If one of these things is hit, entire families can be killed. It doesn't do any good to say 'watch out for them' because there are car wrecks every day, sometimes wrecks happen in normal driving situations so of course a very slow thing like a horse and buggy make things worse. You come around a curve at 45MPH and don't expect to see something like that it might be too late. They are also dangerous at night because the Amish refuse to use fluourescent orange triangles because they 'don't believe in drawing attention to themselves'- sorry friends, nothing will draw more attention to you than going down the highway in a horse and buggy. No one cares about the orange triangle, but everyone points and waves at the horse and buggy! We can't expect every car to have to be to blame. Maybe it is time to limit these people to only certain roads at certain times.

All you Amish offended by this- GET OFF THE INTERNET! It's not 'plain' and requires electricity and phone lines you don't believe in!

I visit the Amish Country in PA on a regular basis and disaagree with this:

Savannah said:
They are also dangerous at night because the Amish refuse to use fluourescent orange triangles because they 'don't believe in drawing attention

All the buggies I've ever seen had these triangles. Also, they rarely travel at night.

ouizy, your avatar has outdone itself

We have some Amish people down in (erm...over in) Nebraska. It's kinda fun to see them....then pass them with your shiny auto listening to your rock 'n' roll.

Meh, to each his own.

Amish Buggies are not the only things that go slower than posted speed limits. Tractors for farmers go slow, as well as individuals walking down the road or across the road. Don't tell me you want to ban people walking just because they cannot keep up with the posted speed limit.

Car wrecks happen every day because people "do not watch out". Like anywhere else, drivers have to take the resposibility to be careful on winding roads, because even a person could be around the next corner. The issue is not the horse and buggie, its reckless driving by individuals. If 45 MPH is the speed limit and the road is a winding road with hills with farms houses and other things rural residential area's have, you should spend most of your time driving at 10 to 20 miles below the speed limit. It is amazing how much more time you have to re-act to the unexpected when your only driving 35 MPH or 25 MPH. as compared to 45 MPH. When I'm driving to Delaware through Amish country and I come upon a turn, I slow down to as little as 25 MPH or less before I get to that turn, or go over that small hill. A person, a buggie, or a farm tractor could be unexpectedly on the otherside of that turn or small hill. This road is not an interstate, but a road through a rural residential and farm area. Individuals, farm tractors, and even Amish in Buggies have the need and every right to be using these roads. People need to slow down and be careful everywhere, including Amish country.

S.P.R. said:
ban em along w/ SUV's!

Yes! :yes: Except, maybe just ban the SUVs and keep the buggies.

<----Liberal! Woohoo!

And yes, Ouizy, your avatar never ceases to amaze!

dipster said:

All the buggies I've ever seen had these triangles. Also, they rarely travel at night.

I am regular visitor to the Shenandoah Valley of VA where many Amish and Mennonites live (Mennonites dress like Little House on the Prairie but drive cars!) and I did see that in their news that they didn't want the triangles because they were bright colored h is against their beliefs) and thought it would make people stare :rolleyes: but like she said people will stare anyway just because it's a horse and buggy on the road:shrug:

I do like seeing them on the road, but if you wave at them they don't look up and if you try to take their pic they look down because they think it's a graven image or something. Their dolls don't even have faces.

I really don't want to pick at anyone's beliefs but I don't understand how living like the olden days has anything to do with making you a better person. There were rotten people in the old days on horses and in buggies and there are good and bad people now in cars. It would help if they would drive cars or be driven by someone else, maybe use a community van to go to town in areas where the roads are dangerous and cars travel at higher speeds. Everyone else shouldn't have to alter their driving patterns just for a few slow people who might or might not be there at any given time. We have to think of the safety of the Amish and all those kids in those buggies. Realistically, we can't count on cars slowing down because the average person in a car is just not going to slow down, that's just the way it is, whether or not it's right.

Last edited:
The issue is not buggies, because in all these cases, it could have been an individual walking down the road. It is incumbent on drivers to alter their driving patterns to prevent accidents with individuals, farm tractors, or buggies. Alternatively, if a person does not want to deal with Amish buggies in particular, they can travel an alternative route that does not take them through Amish country. I've driven through Amish country often enough to know that if people obey the speed limit(meaning you don't go over it, anywhere at anytime) and slow down at turns and hills, there would not be a problem. These are things people should be doing with or without Buggies.

Dreadsox said:
Between 1996 and 2000, there were 371 traffic accidents in Pennsylvania involving horse-drawn buggies, 16 of them fatal, according to state Department of Transportation records. The crashes claimed 18 lives and left 442 people injured.

What do you think????? [/B]

Most [%] deadly accidents in Germany are pedestrians, 2nd bicyclists - they should not be allowed to be on the road - right? :wink:

Klaus

Re: Re: Out of Control Amish Buggies!!!!

Klaus said:

Most [%] deadly accidents in Germany are pedestrians, 2nd bicyclists - they should not be allowed to be on the road - right? :wink:

Klaus

ABOSLUTELY:lol:

Dang it...where do they think they are going anyways?

Also while we are on it....I cut myself shaving the other day and I think, we should ban razors as well.

Peace to all

Are the buggies driven in the road or on the shoulder like farm tractors?

Those of us who live in the snow belt need our SUVs. They are practical here in the winter time. Thank you.

one of the things that cracks me up about cnn.com's blurbs about these accidents is when they mention how everyone on the buggy has been killed or injured, yet the driver of the car/truck/suv was injured. ARE THEY SURPRISED?!

but mind you, i do think drivers on the road need to be more careful. i think at this point, amish people already are out on the roads at certain times. there may not be laws about it, but i doubt there's an amish family in their buggy on the road at 2 am. :D

nbcrusader said:
If you lived in California, our lovely Democrat-lead state government may just have a special tax for you soon.

I rented a Chevy Blazer in San Diego recently and it had South Carolina license plates; I wonder if this is the reason?

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
I rented a Chevy Blazer in San Diego recently and it had South Carolina license plates; I wonder if this is the reason?

Ugh...I hate excise taxes. Hence, if I bring my car to Boston, it'll keep the Michigan plates for a while. My street that I live on doesn't require you to be a resident to park. :sexywink:

Melon

melon said:

Ugh...I hate excise taxes. Hence, if I bring my car to Boston, it'll keep the Michigan plates for a while. My street that I live on doesn't require you to be a resident to park. :sexywink:

Melon

Wow...there are not too many of those streets in Boston.

I drive a SUV type vehicle (Diamondsexyjeepwranglersofttop)
IWhen the top is down, I can smell the horse poop.
And I saw some Amish in Oklahoma City wearing Reeboks.

Does that answer any questions?

Back
Top Bottom