Our Latest Threat To Democracy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everybody was/ is expecting a statewide vote on October 7, 2003.

I think there is a very good chance Gov. Davis will be recalled.

I don't beleve this court action will be successful.

Lawyers will be the end of America. It may sound crazy, but you'll see. As a country, we've lost all rationalle and have replaced it lawsuits.

Seriously though, the US society has turned into a society of people saying, "what can I get for free?" The work ethic of the post WWII generation is long gone. Lawyers love this because each lawsuit that somebody files, no matter how crazy, frivolous, or nutty, they get PAID! Therefore, it's in the interest of lawyers to have pepole suing each other over everything.

However, as stated earlier, this suing frame of mind have a negative effect on our society. A great example of this was a couple of weeks before 9/11, the actor James Woods was flying first class on one of the routes the hijackers would later use on 9/11. He noticed a few Arab men acting very suspicious on the plane. He alerted the stewardess about the men thinking that she would be able to help. However, her responce was that even though the men are acting suspicious and should be checked out, she couldn't do anything about them because the airline was so afraid of discrimination lawsuits. So there's a DIRECT example of how this sueing society has begun the destruction of America.

so you're suggesting that instead...people's rights should be trampled on and we should remove their legal recourse to disagree with that. Great. :tsk:

sulawesigirl4 said:
so you're suggesting that instead...people's rights should be trampled on and we should remove their legal recourse to disagree with that. Great. :tsk:

Sula, you do realize that the Arab men that James Woods identified were some of the hijackers from 9/11 on a trial run? His flight was on August 1, 2001 one month before 9/11. By all accounts he was dead on in his interpretation of what the men were up to.

However, I would add that the stewardess and the pilot that Woods spoke to did indeed file their own reports to the FAA about Woods and his thoughts. The airline did nothing at that time.

Last edited:
Back to the topic at hand.....

During the 2001-2002 Election Cycle the largest contributors of money to the Incumbent Congressional Candidates were Trial Lawyers.

Lawyers/Law Firms
Amount Given $36,342,243
Amount to Democrats 69%
Amount to Republicans 31%

Says something? Yes no?

http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/mems.asp

sulawesigirl4 said:

I'm not saying that at all. That would be like me accusing you of saying that you would rather have 3,000 innocent people dead rather than questioning those men strickly because they were Arabs.

But don't you see how crazy this is?! If the airline was not so afriad of being sued for racial discrimination, than they may have followed up on the tip. But instead they did nothing and the rest is history.

wolfwill23 said:

I'm not saying that at all. That would be like me accusing you of saying that you would rather have 3,000 innocent people dead rather than questioning those men strickly because they were Arabs.

But don't you see how crazy this is?! If the airline was not so afriad of being sued for racial discrimination, than they may have followed up on the tip. But instead they did nothing and the rest is history.

The pilot and stewardess DID file papers about Woods claims with the FAA.

wolfwill23 said:

As Dread already said, the airline did take action about this but their action failed to stop what happened on September 11th. I don't see how you can claim that the airline could have prevented it and didn't due to fear of being sued for racial discrimination, given that the action the did take was ignored.

I also don't think it's bad that companies are concerned about racial discrimination. If fear of being sued prevents a company from refusing to hire Black employees or prevents a company from refusing to rent a house to a Muslim, then I'm all in favour of it. I don't see why everyone who might look as though they're Muslim should automatically be under suspicion simply because of the actions of a disgusting minority. It would be like saying all Christians ought to be under suspicion because there are *some* extremists who take violent actions like bombing abortion clinics.

Fizz,

You are missing the point. A charge of racial discrimination has the affect of shifting the burden of proof, even if the charge is baseless.

There are managers who discriminate and there are managers who keep non-performing minority employees because they fear the charge of discrimination.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
As Dread already said, the airline did take action about this but their action failed to stop what happened on September 11th. I don't see how you can claim that the airline could have prevented it and didn't due to fear of being sued for racial discrimination, given that the action the did take was ignored.

I did point out that they filed papers. That said, it seems to me they did the minimum. They could not do more for fear of legal suits of discrimination. James Woods was correct in his interpretation of what was happening on that plane. It had nothing to do with them being ARAB. It had everything to do with the fact that they were practicing a month before the actual events.

The AIRLINES inaction at that time, may very well have saved lives. WHo wants to lose their jobs over a possible discrimination suit.

Wolf is onto something.

Every time someone brings up the James Wood?s story I wonder what his or her agenda is.

Why not start with the FBI agent who reported that students were taking flying lessons and said they did not need to learn how to land the plane. THIS was the breakdown.

Not passengers pointing fingers at each other.

There were Arab and Muslim people thrown off planes after 9-11. One was an U. S. Secret Service agent, another an American of Indian descent, he was a doctor, a Hindu but dark complexion and he had an accent. Many innocent people were and are being treated unfairly.

Tim McVeigh, the Oklahoma bomber and Malvo, the sniper were US veterans with military training. Should US vets be targeted as terror suspects?

deep said:
Every time someone brings up the James Wood?s story I wonder what his or her agenda is.

This is a low blow. What happened to a kinder gentler FYM?

Just the way you worded this is insulting.

Why does this have to deteriorate into another 9/11 thread anyway?

Dreadsox said:

During the 2001-2002 Election Cycle the largest contributors of money to the Incumbent Congressional Candidates were Trial Lawyers.

Lawyers/Law Firms
Amount Given $36,342,243
Amount to Democrats 69%

Says something? Yes no?

http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/mems.asp

Last edited:
I am sorry you are offended.

I apologize. I should have said.

?I don?t understand why people bring up the James Wood story.?

I don?t think it is included in the 9-11 report. Not even the blacked out part.

Help me understand why passengers reporting passengers is a way we should want to handle national security.

Dreadsox said:

Lawyers/Law Firms
Amount Given $36,342,243
Amount to Democrats 69%

Dread, they are now Consumer Lawyers.

The power of this lobby is understated. Bad laws remain on the books if it means a profit to the lawyers. Pay off the right committee members and reform legistlation disappears.

Class action litigation only lines the pockets of the attorneys. "Settlements" rarely yield any tangible benefit to the "affected class".

I never in my wildest dreams thought it would be lawyers that were the largest contributors to incumbent candidates.

The California Supreme Court has thrown out five different challenges to the recall. Of course, that only means the groups go and file in federal court.

This is difficult for me since I don't believe I am a profiler but I see an apartment in my complex occupied by middle eastern occupants and they don't work, but may be going to school. They pray probably ever how many times a day they are suppose too, and I live within 5 miles of an airport. How do you not profile this? However, I don't want their right's infringed upon, just because I'm wondering. I don't want the right's of any citizen to be determined on what is just my personal observation? Or do I?
I'm really concerned about the mass erosion of personal rights going on in this current adminstration.

Last edited:
Davis wins the next round in his battle against the recall:

U.S. Appeals Court Stops Oct. 7 Calif. Recall Vote

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals issued an preliminary injunction Monday stopping California's Oct. 7 gubernatorial recall election, in the latest unexpected twist of the unprecedented ballot to decide whether Gov. Gray Davis (news - web sites) remains in office.

This new trend started with Gore's lawsuit in Florida. With the current trend, our democracy may be subject to the whimes of lawyers and judges.

nbcrusader said:
This new trend started with Gore's lawsuit in Florida. With the current trend, our democracy may be subject to the whimes of lawyers and judges.

Let's not forget impeachment trials, recalls, and DeLay's mid-term redistricting ploy in Texas.

Melon

also remember that the person who filed in the first place was a rich Republican with $1.6 million to spend. and remember that California's laws make it much easier to have a recall election.

Back
Top Bottom