Our Health: Where to eat at?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
It seems that it's hard to find healthy food, unless you want to brainstorm What are some healthy restaurants/food at restauraunts or supermarkets that anyone would be happy to recommend?

Here's what I know of:

Restaurants:
Subway - Not that hard to find anything healthy
Panera - " "
Quizno's - " "
McDonald's - Parfait, salads, bottled water

Any supermarket:
Fruit cocktail
All that dairy

Feel free to contribute your ideas.

I was hoping to get a pat on the back form some of the vegans and whatnot, but I'm not giving up just yet. I do like meat, but I would like to moderate my intake. Of course, this list for you has a lot of meat, but I like it fine that way. I suppose this is going to sink, just like any "good cause" thread would. This thread is about self-love, but a guilt-free kind of self-love. Anyways, good to have two responses so far, I'll be glad to make it three.

http://www.askmen.com/sports/fitness_top_ten/11_fitness_list.html

Top 10: Healthy Restaurant Meals

Number 10: Tex-Mex
What to order: Grilled chicken, fish, or a lean cut of beef, with a baked potato and salad.

Number 9: American
What to order: Grilled chicken, fish, or a lean cut of beef, with a baked potato and salad.

Number 8: Chinese
What to order: Wonton soup and a chicken or shrimp stir-fry with vegetables.

Number 7: Italian
What to order: Veal scaloppini with lemon and a small side of pasta in tomato sauce.

Number 6: Greek
What to order: Grilled fish or lamb, oven-roasted potatoes and a Greek salad.

Number 5: French
What to order: Bouillabaisse.

Number 4: Indian
What to order: Dahl, tandoori chicken or shrimp, and vegetables.

Number 3: Lebanese
What to order: Chicken kebabs, lentils and rice, and fatoush salad.

Number 2: Vietnamese
What to order: Shrimp and green papaya salad, ginger chicken and vegetable stir-fry.

Number 1: Caribbean
What to eat: Barbecued kingfish, rice and peas, and fresh pineapple.

YUM.... (wish there was an eating-motican :))

Sue DeNym said:
Natural food stores like Wild Oats and Whole Foods usually have superb salad bars and delis. You'll find all kinds of unusual foods you don't normally find at standard eateries. :)
There is one of those nearby, but it turns me off because they fired someone for cutting the meat wrong. It's a little bizzare to me.

Umm...well I think you can eat healthy wherever you go. The problem a lot of people run into is they think they need to cut out fat..you're body needs fat so it doesn't feel like it's deprived.

It all comes down to portion size. I can eat something that looks really bad for you, but if you portion out a meal correctly, and say "no seconds" or don't make enough for seconds, you can't overeat.

You can do this at any grocery store and most restaraunts. The key is to stay away from processed sugars, flours and starches--things your body just doesn't need. If you want to eat healthy, try to add in more veggies and whole grains. lately I've been eating a lot of veggies sauteed in extra virgin oil...it's really healthy and tastes awesome.

As for meats, chicken is always a great bet- tons of protein will make you feel full. Fish is very low calorie, but packs tons of protein and omega 3 fatty acids, which do wonders on cholesterol. Beef and pork is also okay as long as it's lean and you watch your portion size.

Anyway, the moral of my story is that you find healty alternatives wherever you go and if you watch your portion size.

Well said.

I'm a big fan of Mexican food, and nothing gets me going like a big fat burrito, loaded with chicken, beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato... Hopefully it's healthy, even though I feel pregnant by the time I wolf it down.

Macfistowannabe said:
Well said.

I'm a big fan of Mexican food, and nothing gets me going like a big fat burrito, loaded with chicken, beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato... Hopefully it's healthy, even though I feel pregnant by the time I wolf it down.

Haha, I was just reading on menshealth.com how bad a lot of mexican food can be if you eat the crazy fried stuff at restaraunts. I guess they were talking about all the side dishes also: golden rice, refried beans..ect.

I'm kind of a health nut now because I was overweight in high school and never had self esteem/confidence and I don't want to go back to that. I guess I've already said what my main philosophy is: watch portion sizes, get a balanced diet, cut out the un-needed starches and most definitely: take one day a week and endulge in whatever I want.

I've lost weight by emphasizing greens, especially my favorite kind of lettuce, iceberg, and getting stuff at the Greek import store. I remember looking in the mirror two years ago and being really unhappy with what I saw. It was hard, but I got rid of that excess weight, and I couldn't be happier about it.

Back
Top Bottom