our day's biggest threat - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2005, 04:09 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 09:44 AM
our day's biggest threat

global terrorism.

why did it begin, how did it progress and how did it gain the capabilities to attack and hurt the world's most influential nation?

why are these terrorist so eager and so convicted in attacking the US and its allies?

do they just hate everything that is good and fair in the world? do they hate freedom? what kind of internal justification is there for their actions? except the obvious going to heaven thing of course, which is a flat out lie.

let's discuss

Old 03-01-2005, 04:24 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:44 AM
The problem of world terrorism is many faceted and does not lend itself to simplistic explanations.

As a starting point I suggest you read up about the recent history of Afghanistan and who was arming the Taliban in the first place, also who sold arms to Iraq and Iran, etc. And consider who benefits from terrorism and the response to it (sometimes it's the same people).

Old 03-01-2005, 04:47 AM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:44 AM
Re: our day's biggest threat

Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want

why did it begin, how did it progress
I think it's a combination of sorts. You have those that are lured into a greatly distorted and perverted religion. Where their own prejudices were fed and strengthened. Then these individuals prey on the poor to build their following. Preying on their desperation, you have those that are willing to anything to get out of the life they live. Either through promises of heaven or just providing for their family.

Quote:

and how did it gain the capabilities to attack and hurt the world's most influential nation?
It's easy to build an army when you have so many that are desperate for something else. And it's very easy to sneak in when no one's looking.

Quote:

why are these terrorist so eager and so convicted in attacking the US and its allies?
Hate; developed out of a combination of feeling neglected, inferior, etc.

I honestly don't think they hate freedom, or the depraved moralality of the West, etc.

They just hate. They fear freedom because then they might lose the power to dominate their women, children etc. Many of them secretly drink, smoke, and take part in all the depraved morality of the West.

Yes part of it is their ideals, but I think it's a very small part.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:45 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:44 AM
They hide our true selves from their people, they make propaganda out of the worst of us, they see us as infidels, suckups to Israel, they are appalled by the rights our women are entitled to, they hate us for playing the world police, I'll probably think of more possible reasons later.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh Yawn, well I expect when you know two things you'll be twice as clever, that's if your brain can hold any more which I doubt.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:18 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:44 PM
I think that it is a combination of the progress of the last 200 years, the end of imperalism (the US has nothing on the British Empire) and the rise of nationalism.

I would also add that there is a significant religious compent for which Islam is the direct inspiration, It is not a case of perverting a faith to justify those deeds it is merely a case of following it too the letter and inventing a death cult around it.

Freedom, the right of people to live their lives the way that they choose is an issue ~ you may think that it is overly simplistic to say that Islamist terrorists are against freedom but you are not listening too them. They didn't oppose elections because they thought they were rigged, they opposed them because when people choose their government it goes against the will of Allah who's will is decided by the religious authorities. They represent totalitarianism in this day and age
Old 03-01-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Oh Yawn, well I expect when you know two things you'll be twice as clever, that's if your brain can hold any more which I doubt.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:43 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I just find your analysis a bit simplistic that's all
Old 03-01-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Fair enough.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
Refugee

america is not the world police today. the police are supposed to do the right thing for their community. america is more like a renegade cowboy.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:30 PM   #11
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:44 AM
The withdraw of the British Empire (were they "occupiers" or "civilizers"?) did leave the region quite unstable but that's a whole 'nother post.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #12
Refugee

and what do you think these people want? except the very obvious aim of utter destruction of the civilized world and everything it holds dear?
Old 03-01-2005, 03:48 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

For the USA to stop financing Israel I assume is what you want us to say.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:57 PM   #14
Refugee

not really. ive got nothing against israel. i just dont like ariel sharon. i happen to believe that every nation deserves the right to pursue their own destinies, and it is usually through their own state. i believe israel has the right to exist as a state on its own right.

however, i also believe palestinians also have the same rights. its only fair.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
The family had not suffered any particular grievance at the hands of the Israelis, Ibrahim said, although he was detained in 1989 and held for 18 months without trial.

The town has lost a large part of its livelihood because the separation barrier has cut it off from its 825 acres (334 hectares) of farmland.

In theory they can reach it through a gate, but it is rarely open, and the Israelis have begun chopping down some of the trees.