Ouch!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coemgen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
OK, for those who thought the passion was too gory, check this out. This goes a bit too far for me.

To see a photo of a woman nailed to a cross with a nail through her hand, visit http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7292884/
From what I've read, Christ actually was nailed though the part where the arm and hand meet — this was considered part of the hand still.

CUTUD, Philippines - Filipinos marked Good Friday by retracing Jesus Christ’s last steps and reliving his crucifixion with nails, whips and blood.

The gory rituals in several parts of the heavily Roman Catholic country are not sanctioned by the Church as part of Easter but have become a magnet for the curious and devout during a week of prayer, shopping, visiting and little work.

With millions on the move and churches packed, security forces were on full alert after Muslim rebels vowed to avenge the killing of 22 comrades during a recent jail siege.

Abu Sayyaf, linked to al-Qaida and regional militants from Jemaah Islamiah, is a small but deadly group that claimed three bombings in mid-February and a blast on a ferry in early 2004.

The threat did nothing to deter thousands of Filipinos and foreigners from flocking to the farming village of Cutud, 90 minutes north of Manila, to see dozens of black-hooded penitents trudging along a road whipping their own backs raw.

Nailed to crosses
On a dusty hill, with the crowd pressing round, 11 men had themselves nailed to crosses in imitation of Christ’s suffering. The nails hammered into their hands and feet were as thick as pencils.

“I feel lighter after I have been nailed to the cross. But my cross was really heavy,” said Ruben Enage, who started 19 years ago after his mother was cured of tuberculosis.

“It takes a lot of courage to get up there,” said Matthew James, an American in the Philippines on business. “A lot of faith there.”

In the nearby town of San Simon, about 100 men -- old and young -- whipped their backs with bundles of sticks as relatives helped keep the blood flowing with razor blades and water.

“This is just a little pain compared to my sins,” said Ruben Arriola, a house painter.

Elsewhere, Filipinos marked Good Friday more quietly with prayers and pilgrimages.

Most local television and radio stations were off the air, while others broadcast religious shows. Major newspapers did not publish on Thursday or Friday.

Oh, good grief! This takes the brass cigar as far as extreme "Passion", uh, activity is concerned. I guess they want to do it, but I cannot imagine going through such a thing.

What a sad misunderstanding of Christ's teachings, in my opinion. But yes, if they want to do it and actually get something out of it, who am I to judge.

This happens every year.

Perhaps some feel they need to go through a portion of the experience to understand the sacrifice made on their behalf?

I saw my father shoot a nail through his hand once with a nail gun. Of couse it was an accident. He was framing a doorway when the 2x4 split and sent the nail through his left hand. He just calmly turned to me and asked me to go to the medicine cabinet and bring him the hydrogen peroxide and a band aid. He pulled the nail out and then poured the peroxide on his hand, placed the band aid on and went back to work with only an audible "damnitt". I was 12 and thought my father was the toughest man in the world.

Last edited:
I think some things don't hurt until they start healing. I've had cuts bad enough that required trips to the emergency room for stitches and they never hurt until a day or two later. :shrug:

Wow, that's crazy.

Attachments

• violent_sterb163.gif
    violent_sterb163.gif
    14.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Wasn't there a story recently about a guy who drilled a nail into his head and didn't realize it until a week later when he went to the hospital complaining of headaches?

I think it happened in the south.

Insert your own joke here.

nathan1977 said:
Wasn't there a story recently about a guy who drilled a nail into his head and didn't realize it until a week later when he went to the hospital complaining of headaches?

I think it happened in the south.

Insert your own joke here.

:huh:...how the hell do you not notice something like that?

Ow...my head hurts just from reading that...

Angela

It's true. I saw the guy on Letterman. It was crazy.They showed the X-rays. Now he has like a $100,000 medical bill because he didn't have insurance or whatever. That hurts more than the nail!

BVS -- the story about your dad elevates him to legend status. That's crazy.

Back
Top Bottom