Other religions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Beatitudes

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven
Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted
Blessed are the meek,
for that shall possess the earth
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice
for they shal be satisfied
Blessed are the merciful
for they shall obtain mercy
Blessed are the clean of heart,
for they shall see God
Blessed are the peacemakers
for they shall be called children of God
Blessed are they who suffer persecution for justice sake,
for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven
Blessed are you when men reproach you, and
persecute you, and
speaking falsely, say all manner of evil against you,
for my sake.

The Lord's Prayer
Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation. But deliver us from evil. Amen.

Would an enemy be someone who has tried to actually kill you or a friend or family, or could an enemy be someone that you find obnoxious or that has lied to you?

If the person tried to kill me or a friend or family might not excatly be my enemy. The could quite possibly have a good reason for it. But yes, if they had no reason they would probably be my enemy. This depends on my relationship with the person. An enemy could be someone who lied to me but I lie all the time so it doent bother me much. If the lie could hurt someone thats different.

No mercy until the death of the offender? And what would that person have to do to offend to the point of being offered no mercy?

Not excatly death, alot of pain though. It depends on what they did to begin with. I dont get offended but if they tried to hurt me or a friend without reason then I act out no mercy.

By destroy do you mean kill (as that is what usually comes to mind when the word destroy is mentioned) and if so does that mean Satanism advocates murder?

It doesnt mean to kill for me. Destroy could be in the symbolic sense. I could ignore them perhaps, or something else. Satanism does not advocate breaking laws without reason.

And what does it mean by "bother" anyway?

Bother as in touch something you asked them not to because it has value, pestering, harassing, etc.

I summed up the last question in the other answers.

------------------
I've read you bible, have you read mine?

I've read through all of these posts and I'm very interested in this entire subject matter. Learning about and attempting to comprehend other people's beliefs helps me to come to a better understanding of my own beliefs. This topic has given me a lot to think about.
Since we seem to be floating around the topic of Satanism right now...
I wanted to ask a question/ offer an observation. The question, I guess, is what would it be like if all people followed the ideals put forth in Satanism? To sort of answer the question based upon the little bit I've read, which I admit probably doesn't even scratch the surface, I would say that because of the stress on individualism, that everyone (including murderers, rapists, child abusers, etc.) could use the statements,etc. to justify pretty much anything? Now, I will put forth that many religions have used their doctrines to justify all kinds of horrible things, but in the end these things are quite arguable and the people are held accountable (in one way or another) based upon what the religious doctrines actually say. Whereas, who could argue points of right or wrong or morality with a belief system that bases these things solely on the individual's desires. And why even have laws?
Whew, I'm not sure if I'm making any sense. My head hurts and I think the room is spinning!
eek.gif
But, for Ravenstar...
What do you think an entire world following the statements of Satanism looks like? Because I really do find it hard to imagine, although, I venture to say that many people follow the philosophies of Satanism without having subscribed to its beliefs specifically and/or despite their official belief system. And also, you personally seem to value peace (although fundamental Satanism doesn't seem to), but in a world where everyone is out to be on top of the pyramid, could there be such a thing? I mean, a pyramid only has one point that, certainly, not everyone could stand on.

Just some thoughts I had rumbling around. To me, it seems that there are holes in the logic of Satanism as an ideal for society. However, many would say there are holes logically in what I believe also. That's what it is to believe and have faith in something. And I am constantly reassessing my own beliefs, so thank you Ravenstar (and others) for being so straightforward with your beliefs.

DancingBarefoot (smiles and leaps back into lurkdom)

Trying to imagine the whole world following satanic beliefs is hard. I almost think humans are made to think differently than each other. But if you think about it, if everyone in the world shared the same beliefs as each other, everyone would get along. Most of the wars would never have happened. Obviously I think the world would be a better place if we were all Satanists. But you cant push stuff like that on people. If its not natural its not worth it. I hate child abusers, rapist, etc. They arent human. We should test new medications on them. The worst part is when they say they are Satanist to get away with it. No Satanist would ever harm a child or rape someone. Even murder someone. Murder is an unlawful killing. Satanist usually don't like breaking laws.
About having laws, laws are a good way to keep people in line. I agree that some laws are stupid, but alot of them do make sense. J-walking for example. If everyone j-walked, why have crosswalks? Or why put those lines on the pavement for people to walk in? Laws do make sense, that is why we have them.

------------------

*Blasting outta lurk-land, whiteflag blows by dancingbarefoot and jauntily waves..*

I so want to get into this discussion.

I am working on a response to what dancingbarefoot said about all religions having holes in their logic. Its a good thought that I want to pick up on.

But for right now I would like to say a couple of things to ravenstar.

If you don't believe that you have a soul, why bother calling your belief system a religion? Whats the point? One thing all religions believe in is some sort of afterlife for the human soul. Since your system deals with this life only, a perfectly good strategy already in wide use, would be to call it a personal philosophy. This is especially appropriate since what you believe is entirely optional for you whereas religion implies quite the opposite. IMO, to call what you believe a religion is engaging in that very same self-deceit and pretension you say you are against. A religion, my friend, almost by definition aspires to something higher than just this life. In addition to an afterlife, all religions also worship an unseen diety that for them is quite real and all religions believe that this diety ,whoever/whatever it is, will hold them accountable in some way for this life. As a few others have already pointed out, your belief system has alot more in common with other branches of philosophy than it does with religion.

Having said that, your choosing to all yourself a satanist then seems just really random to me. You say you dont believe in Satan, you don't worship him etc. So the only good reason left to to call yourself a satanist is to provoke people. Which is what I suspect is the case.

Come on admit it. I wont think worse of you if you do. Don't you just like to shock people? Do you like the reaction and the noteriety you get by saying you're a satanist? Rock stars do no less with their behavior.

So am I right or wrong about you? I'd really like to know.

Originally posted by whiteflag:
If you don't believe that you have a soul...

Come on admit it. I wont think worse of you if you do. Don't you just like to shock people? Do you like the reaction and the noteriety you get by saying you're a satanist? Rock stars do no less with their behavior.

Ha ha, whiteflag! RavenStar must have missed the Elevation show! She ain't got no soul, and we all know (if we caught the show) that THE GOAL IS SOUL!!!!!

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 05-23-2002).]

The other thing I came out of lurkdom for was to say

I love you Bubba!

You are easily the most precise and articulate Christian I have erm, read, in online forums like this one.

YEAH!

whiteflag

Raven Star. You say you are a modern Satanist. Are there seperate websites for modern satanists? What is the difference? Thanks this is all really interesting
smile.gif

*Having said that, your choosing to all yourself a satanist then seems just really random to me. You say you dont believe in Satan, you don't worship him etc. So the only good reason left to to call yourself a satanist is to provoke people. Which is what I suspect is the case.

This isn't really fair. RavenStar has taken the time and effort to answer our questions and explain her belief system as clearly as she can, and now you're accusing her of just wanting to "shock" us? She explained what exactly the word "Satan" means in terms of her religion, and it seems to make sense, even if I don't myself agree with it:

Originally posted by RavenStar:

we view satan as a symbol for the natural side of human nature. we model ourselves after satan and that is why it is called Satanism

Shocking, eh?

[This message has been edited by Hallelujah Here She Comes (edited 05-24-2002).]

I do not like Satan, nor do I like what the little fucker represents!

~U2Alabama

-----------

You've got to lock the door, it will keep out the devil!
Lock the door, keep the devil in the night!

I happen to like what the "fucker" represents. I don't even belive in "God" but I'm not going to call "God" a fucker.

------------------

Answering UV's question,
Most of the sites are for modern Satanism actually. The only fundamentalist Satanic group I'm aware of is The Order Of the Nine Angels. Most of the other groups are modern Satanists.
P.S: did you get that e-mail I sent you awhile back?

------------------

For what it's worth:

I called him that for effect, much like Charlie Daniels calls him an s.o.b. in "The Devil Went Down To Georgia." And also, I didn't think anyone here worshiped him as an entity.

However, I stand by my dislike for Satan.

~U2Alabama

-----------

"Mock the devil and he will flee from thee. Fear of the devil
leads to devil worship." -- Bono, 1993

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 05-24-2002).]

I like that Bama.
smile.gif

the Bono quote.

diamond

------------------
AIM= diamondbruno9

[This message has been edited by diamond (edited 05-24-2002).]

[B
If you don't believe that you have a soul, why bother calling your belief system a religion? Whats the point? One thing all religions believe in is some sort of afterlife for the human soul. Since your system deals with this life only, a perfectly good strategy already in wide use, would be to call it a personal philosophy. This is especially appropriate since what you believe is entirely optional for you whereas religion implies quite the opposite. IMO, to call what you believe a religion is engaging in that very same self-deceit and pretension you say you are against. A religion, my friend, almost by definition aspires to something higher than just this life.

[/B]

re?li?gion

1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

2. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.

3. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.

4. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.

5. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

I see no problem with calling Satanism a religion.

So you called Satan a fucker to get attention?

------------------

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
The Lord's Prayer
Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation. But deliver us from evil. Amen.

80s, I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question, but...I remember at school the Lord's Prayer was always part of our morning assembly, and there were another two lines after the ones you posted: "For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen." Why don't you include those lines? Or aren't they usually included? Do some religions include them and others don't? Why is that?
Again, sorry if this is a stupid question but I know so little about religion and I'm trying to learn more so I was just curious. Thanks in advance if you answer :)

*Fizz

Raven-
I never thought I would see the day when a Satanist would become all polictically correct.
This is good, real good.
wink.gif

Will you please continue to humour us?
wink.gif

Read you.

diamond

------------------
AIM= diamondbruno9

No, I called Satan a "fucker" because I do believe that he exists and I believe that he is "the evil one."

Also, I disagree with the Satanic Statements, especially these:

I Satan represents indulgence, instead of abstinence!

IV Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!

V Satan represents vengeance, instead of turning the other cheek!

VIII Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!

I love every human being, including you. I do not think that love is ever "wasted on ingrates." I do not love Satan nor do I agree with what he stands for.

~U2Alabama

------------

"Don't you know love
Is the greatest thing
That the world has ever known!
Love is what everybody needs
We all need just a little love!"
--Little Richard, from "When Love Comes To Town (Live From The Knigdom Mix)"

Nothing is beautiful except man

This makes me sad.
I wouldn't be able to handle it if the beauty all around me was somehow taken away.

Theres nothing like lying on the grass at night and just staring at the magnificance of the stars and pondering how infinite and amazing it is.
Or taking a walk through the forest
Or a boatride out amongst the beautiful cliffs and breathtaking scenery.

Sure...woman are indeed the most beautiful creation and a true work of art but we are surrounded by beauty.

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Answering UV's question,
Most of the sites are for modern Satanism actually. The only fundamentalist Satanic group I'm aware of is The Order Of the Nine Angels. Most of the other groups are modern Satanists.
P.S: did you get that e-mail I sent you awhile back?

Yeah thanks
smile.gif

Originally posted by Basstrap:
This makes me sad.
I wouldn't be able to handle it if the beauty all around me was somehow taken away.

Theres nothing like lying on the grass at night and just staring at the magnificance of the stars and pondering how infinite and amazing it is.
Or taking a walk through the forest
Or a boatride out amongst the beautiful cliffs and breathtaking scenery.

Sure...woman are indeed the most beautiful creation and a true work of art but we are surrounded by beauty.

Ahhh finally someone else who sees the world the same way I do
smile.gif
If I ever talk like that my mates think I'm really weird and get scared
frown.gif

I here ya!!
For some sad reason talking like that and being male somehow makes you homosexual...

Not that there's anything wrong with that
wink.gif

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Originally posted by Basstrap:
I here ya!!
For some sad reason talking like that and being male somehow makes you homosexual...

Not that there's anything wrong with that
wink.gif

As Yoda would likely say:

Praising natural beauty makes not a man gay.

~U2Alabama

FizzingWhizzbees said:

80s, I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question, but...I remember at school the Lord's Prayer was always part of our morning assembly, and there were another two lines after the ones you posted: "For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen." Why don't you include those lines? Or aren't they usually included? Do some religions include them and others don't? Why is that?
Again, sorry if this is a stupid question but I know so little about religion and I'm trying to learn more so I was just curious. Thanks in advance if you answer :)
*Fizz
Finally, I get to answer this question. I think i was out of town the weekend you asked. The answer is that I simply accidently left it out. Ooops Sorry. But thanks for telling me!

Actually, my husband is Catholic and he thought it was weird that my church (Methodist) adds those last lines. So, I guess his church doesn't. Anybody know if all Catholics say the Lord's prayer without those lines?

Back
Top Bottom