Osama, dead or alive... or not - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
War Child
 
najeena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: an island paradise
Posts: 995
Local Time: 05:47 AM
Osama, dead or alive... or not

The CIA has closed it's special unit devoted to finding Osama bin Laden, citing the need to "address changes in terrorist organizations". To my cynical eye 9/11 was the best thing that ever happened to Bush, the war in Iraq the best thing that ever happened to Osama. Why end a great relationship?
__________________

__________________
najeena is offline  
Old 07-05-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 12:47 AM
If you can't beat him, pretend he never meant that much to begin with.
__________________

__________________
UberBeaver is offline  
Old 07-05-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 11:47 PM
Re: Osama, dead or alive... or not

Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
The CIA has closed it's special unit devoted to finding Osama bin Laden
Don't worry, I'm sure they have several new "top secret" or "hush-hush" operations now in place. The details of which, no doubt, will soon be splashed all over the front-page of the NY Times.
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 07-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,483
Local Time: 12:47 AM
Re: Re: Osama, dead or alive... or not

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500


Don't worry, I'm sure they have several new "top secret" or "hush-hush" operations now in place. The details of which, no doubt, will soon be splashed all over the front-page of the NY Times.

and the WSJ too?

it would be terrible for OBL to find out that we've been looking for him. a real breach of national security.

__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 07-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver
If you can't beat him, pretend he never meant that much to begin with.
It seems to have worked like a charm with Moammar Khadafi.
__________________
deep is online now  
Old 07-05-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:47 PM
I guess when W said he wanted ......
dead or alive

he was referring to the 80's pop group?




they do have that catchy song

You spin me round, (like a record)
__________________
deep is online now  
Old 07-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 11:47 PM
Re: Re: Re: Osama, dead or alive... or not

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

it would be terrible for OBL to find out that we've been looking for him. a real breach of national security.
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 07-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,483
Local Time: 12:47 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Osama, dead or alive... or not

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500






(we might disagree, but you've got a good sense of humor)
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 07-05-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,483
Local Time: 12:47 AM
also, were you this upset about Valerie Plame?

the President did direct Cheney to disclose highly classified intelligence information to defend his administration and smear Joe Wilson.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 07-05-2006, 04:31 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
also, were you this upset about Valerie Plame?

the President did direct Cheney to disclose highly classified intelligence information to defend his administration and smear Joe Wilson.
Highly classified info? I think not. Everyone in Washington knew Valerie Plame was CIA. Her hubby Joe had talked openly about her being "with the agency". How is it a "leak" if everyone knew it?

Besides, it's not even certain that she was a covert agent - some say she was an analyst.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 07-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,483
Local Time: 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


Highly classified info? I think not. Everyone in Washington knew Valerie Plame was CIA. Her hubby Joe had talked openly about her being "with the agency". How is it a "leak" if everyone knew it?

Besides, it's not even certain that she was a covert agent - some say she was an analyst.


he outed a CIA agent for the sake of politics -- this is a big deal! there is no question that she was a covert officer:

http://news.nationaljournal.com/articles/0703nj1.htm

this is a much bigger deal than the NYT stating that near well every terrorist on the planet has his telephone monitored and his international bank transfers scrutinized. just how much of a shock was this? for years, terrorists have employed unconventional money transfers and creative communications precisely because they assume that they are being monitored by most of the Western world.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 07-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,979
Local Time: 12:47 AM

Well Bush is 60 tomorrow-he's tired. Time to slow down, to let bygones be bygones.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 07-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 10:47 PM
Yes, bring on Jeb in 2008..

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 07-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #14
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,883
Local Time: 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

this is a much bigger deal than the NYT stating that near well every terrorist on the planet has his telephone monitored and his international bank transfers scrutinized. just how much of a shock was this?
Maybe not a shock, but it was big enough to be an above the fold headline.

Spilling the beans (like a handful of our leading newspapers seem to make a habit of) could very well make some of our more skittish allies (France, Germany, etc) less likely to share information with the U.S.
__________________
Bluer White is offline  
Old 07-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,483
Local Time: 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White


Maybe not a shock, but it was big enough to be an above the fold headline.

Spilling the beans (like a handful of our leading newspapers seem to make a habit of) could very well make some of our more skittish allies (France, Germany, etc) less likely to share information with the U.S.


simply because it's not news to terrorists doesn't mean that it isn't news to the American people. counterterrorism deserves debate and analysis as well as checks and balances, particularly in light of the growing concern of the Patriot Act and the explosive expansion of the powers of the executive branch under the Bush Administration.

your question begs another: if it is such a concern that terrorists might learn something from the NYT and WSJ articles, then wouldn't it be wise to stop stamping our feet about "leaks" in the press, in the press? once again, we see the politicization of terrorism in order to scare the right wing base back into the booths this fall.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com