Osama bin Laden captured ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
verte76 said:
Well she does claim that it was a joke. I wouldn't take this too seriously.
Actualy, i should start to believe it. If a jounalist can find out where he is ( and he have, acourding dutch tv ), the CIA does know for shure. The Pakistan army already started to bring the people around Bin Laden in confusion by thier military actions. It would be very nice to get Bin Laden in the next 2 months,.....just before election time.

There are reports that they've stepped things up in Pakistan and parts of Afghanistan. But, they've been doing stuff like this for two and a half years. The Taliban is re-forming, and individual warlords in Afghanistan run the place the way the Taliban did. The central government is mostly limited to Kabul. The feminist organization Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA) can't even open an office in Kabul. I say this as someone who originally supported the Administration's policy in Afghanistan because of 9/11 and the savage nature of the Taliban. They need to get bin Laden *and* do something about the damn warlords before I'll stop being disappointed big time. The mistake was trusting the Northern Alliance, the main opposition to the Taliban. Most of the warlords support the Northern Alliance, and they aren't much better than the Taliban.

I'd put my bets that bin Laden is dead of natural causes, and has been for a while. At that rate, it is unlikely that we'll find his body, and Al-Qaeda is finding the value of making a dead man appear alive forever.

Melon

Bin Laden might be dead, in which case, needless to say he'll never be captured. The people who were busted for the Istanbul bombings claim that they talked to him twice in 2002, while being trained in a camp near Kabul. Of course they may be fabricating the meetings for political effect.

even , if osama will be captured , it won't change anything at all . he's just a scapegoat , and a target poster for media hype .

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040228063009990001

U.S. Denies Iranian Report of bin Laden's Capture
By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, AP

TEHRAN, Iran (Feb. 28) - Pentagon and Pakistani officials on Saturday denied an Iranian state radio report that Osama bin Laden was captured in Pakistan's border region with Afghanistan ''a long time ago.''

There have been reports that military forces believed they had identified bin Laden's general location and had him encircled, but Pakistani officials have denied any specific knowledge of bin Laden's whereabouts.

AP
Osama bin Laden on
Al-Jazeera television Sept. 10, 2003

The claim came at a time when Pakistan's army was hunting al-Qaida suspects in a remote tribal region along the border with Afghanistan, believed to be a possible hiding place for the al-Qaida leader.

Iran's state radio, quoting an unnamed source, said that U.S. Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld's visit to the region this week was in connection with the arrest.

Larry Di Rita, the chief Pentagon spokesman who traveled with Rumsfeld this week to Afghanistan, denied the report. ''I don't have any reason to think it's true,'' he said Saturday.

Lt. Col. Bryan Hilferty, a spokesman for the U.S. military in Afghanistan, also said he had no information to suggest bin Laden had been caught.

''Things are going well, and we believe we will eventually catch all the leaders of al-Qaida, but I know nothing of that report,'' he said.

In Washington, another U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, also denied Saturday that bin Laden was captured.

The report was carried by Iran radio's external Pushtun service. The director of Iran radio's Pushtun service, Asheq Hossein, said he had two sources for the report that bin Laden had been captured.

Iranian state radio quoted its reporter as saying the arrest happened a long time ago.

''Osama bin Laden has been arrested a long time ago, but Bush is intending to use it for propaganda maneuvering in the presidential election,'' he said.

Pakistani Army spokesman Gen. Shaukat Sultan also told The Associated Press that the report was not true. ''That information is wrong,'' he said.

A Pakistani official said previously that members of al-Qaida are being sought in the border region, although bin laden was not a specific target.

Separately, Pakistani forces killed 11 people in an exchange of fire Saturday after a minibus failed to stop at a roadblock in a tribal region where the ongoing anti-terrorism operations have been taking place, an army spokesman told the AP. The shooting occurred a day after armed men and soldiers exchanged fire at a military compound in the region.

Speaking to the AP in Tehran, Hossein identified one of the sources for the bin Laden report as Shamim Shahed, editor of the English-language Pakistani newspaper The Nation in Peshawar. Hossein said Shahed told him Friday night that bin Laden was arrested ''a long time ago.''

But Shahed, who is The Nation's Peshawar bureau chief and not its editor, denied telling the Iranian radio station that bin Laden had been captured.

''I never said this,'' Shahed said in a telephone interview with the AP's Islamabad bureau. ''But I have for the last year been saying that he is not far away. He is within their (the Americans') reach, and they can declare him arrested any time.''

Hossein said he had a second source for his report that bin Laden had been captured, but he declined to identify him except to say he was ''a man with close links to intelligence services and Afghan tribal leaders.''

Homayoun Jarir, son-in-law of Afghan warlord Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, said he could not confirm the report.

The Iranian news agency IRNA was first to report the capture of Saddam Hussein. IRNA also carried the state radio report about bin Laden's capture and said it had contacted a radio announcer at the Pushtun service who confirmed the news.

02-28-04 0721EST

Scarletwine said:
Iranian state radio report that Osama bin Laden was captured in Pakistan's border region with Afghanistan ''a long time ago.''

Does this fall into the "keep repeating a rumor to give it credence" file?

Billy Graham is not even political these days. He used to be, but hasn't believed in being publically political in eons. His son, Franklin, also a minister and evangelist, *is* friends with Bush, but that doesn't make him powerful. He has also worked with Bono on helping with AIDS in Africa.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
care to elaborate on why the leader of the largest terrorism network in the world is nothing more than a scapegoat? or do ya just wanna make the statement and leave it be?

they kill those " leaders " by packs and nothing happens , in russia , israel , middle east , africa

I kinda agree with you WinnieThePoo. Capturing him would be immensely huge. Fantastic without a doubt. It's so unfortunate that there are countless others waiting to take his lead job and many more involved and who feel just like he does. So much more after Bin Laden. At times it seems, and this might be mostly media portrayal, that he is the prize at the end. Capturing him is the signal of success. It is a success, but not the whole battle.

Still...shouldn't underestimate the massive benefit of when he is finally captured.

WinnieThePoo said:

they kill those " leaders " by packs and nothing happens , in russia , israel , middle east , africa

seems to me arafat's still in power...

and angela... :up:

exactly... is he the end all when it comes to al qaeda? no... would capturing or killing him end world terrorism? no... but it would still be a huge blow to the al qaeda network, for spiritual and financial reasons, if not neccesarily logistical ones.

Phew, I'm glad that was understood lol.

I made a small typo in the above and meant to say "Capturing him is -not- the signal of success. It is a success, but not the whole battle."
I don't think it changes what I meant to say too much though. I hope.
lol

I'm sure bin Laden has a successor ready to go, in case something happens to him, and there will still be terrorist outfits if he's gone. Certain socio-political structures in that part of the world, and Africa, too, favor the growth of terrorism: poverty and the lack of democracy. Poverty-stricken families in Pakistan and neighboring countries will continue to send their kids to Wahhabist madrassas. The solution to the terrorist problem is a heck of alot more than capturing one person. That being said I think bin Laden has many followers and they'd be demoralized if he was captured. It wouldn't exactly be great for terrorists.

Back
Top Bottom