Opression of women by Islamic fundamentalists - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2002, 01:23 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes

Most of what terrorists? Most of the 9-11 terrorists? Yes
Most.. or ALL ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes

Most of the terrorists in Israel? Yes.
Most or ALL ?

When I said most, I meant most of overall terrorism.

Old 08-08-2002, 10:25 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 10:29 AM
the US and Israel are not the whole world.
what about domestic terrorism in africa and n.ireland? the whole of south america? most of the terrorism there is not from muslims.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:17 PM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 10:29 AM
I know what you mean. It's much worse than we know. The honor-killings are more reported and much more brutal. I was watching this thing on national geographic and there was this lady that was beaten by her husband and as he heled her down choking her, her mother in law poured gasoline on her and lit her on fire. Man, it was horrible. She finally complained to this women's outreach, and she was burned from head to toe. She had been lying in bed for four month with her wounds!!!!! No medical help or anything. She decided to call the women's outreach because her wounds were so bad they started to rot away her skin!!! I've heard other worse stories that just makes me want to cry. The reason why he beat her? Because he felt that she didn't listen to him.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:23 PM   #19
Babyface

Local Time: 06:29 AM
Islamic countries are brutal to women, and such brutality is being tolerated because people are afraid of interfering with other 'cultures'. This issue has everything to do with the culture, because their culture revolves around their oppressive religion. Women accept the veil because they are taught too. Without education or the most basic civil liberties, these women know no other way of living. Furthermore, they'd rather wear it than suffer beatings, or punishment in their afterlife. These are human rights violations, and they must be addressed.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:07 PM   #20
New Yorker

Location: In the middle of the Pine Barrens with the Jersey Devil
Local Time: 02:29 PM
might I say that in Islam, women are important, but secondly..in mosques women are separated from the men while praying..why? I don't know- Yes, women being treated this way in Islamic countries is a violation of human rights, but this, unfortunately, has been the way it always has been, and i'm afraid we can't tell them not to, because it is part of their culture, how they were taught.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:22 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jam Jar
might I say that in Islam, women are important, but secondly..in mosques women are separated from the men while praying..why? I don't know- Yes, women being treated this way in Islamic countries is a violation of human rights, but this, unfortunately, has been the way it always has been, and i'm afraid we can't tell them not to, because it is part of their culture, how they were taught.
Obviously I can't speak for all Muslim women, but those that I know don't believe that sitting seperately from men is degrading to them. Nor do they believe that Islam violates women's rights or that oppression of women is a part of their culture. I might not choose to wear the hijab, I might see that as oppressive but I don't think I have a right to judge whether someone else is oppressed by their decision to do so or not.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:33 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anoosh Vs. God
Islamic countries are brutal to women, and such brutality is being tolerated because people are afraid of interfering with other 'cultures'. This issue has everything to do with the culture, because their culture revolves around their oppressive religion. Women accept the veil because they are taught too. Without education or the most basic civil liberties, these women know no other way of living. Furthermore, they'd rather wear it than suffer beatings, or punishment in their afterlife. These are human rights violations, and they must be addressed.

Yes, I agree with what you are saying. Sorry to add to this conversation that is nearly over, but oh well. The fact of the matter comes down to these women having control over their own lives, which most of them do not. They are not given the opportunity to be educated or even act out of free will (rather they have to act out of fear). I have no problem whatsoever with a woman dressing/acting in compliance with her religion- UNLESS she is complying under force. I don't think most of them are given another option, which is where the 'force' comes into play.

For people who ARE interested, there are many websites that have lots of information available about what is going on and what can be done to help these women get equality.

RAWA

V-Day
Old 09-16-2002, 01:45 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jam Jar
I can't remember my World Religion class exactly, but aren't there orthodox Jewish synagogues where men and women are separated as well? Is that a violation of human rights?
Old 09-16-2002, 02:36 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:29 AM
I remember this one lady I went to school with. She is from Afghanistan. The first few weeks she wore a head covering and dark clothing. Her husband had been in a terrible accident, so they had no income coming in except for some type of disability on his end. It wasn't enough to live on. So she went to school to learn office skills. I don't know how her husband felt about her going back to school, but it took alot of courage on her part to do what she did, coming from a country that treat women like nothing. After a few months, she was no longer wearing the head covering. She told me she loves dressing up. I remember when she was sitting down doing a project in class, some other girl didnt know she was from Afghanistan, and when she found out, she accused her of being a spy. This was several months after 9/11. It took me several minutes to talk her into going back to class. I'm glad I did. She and I graduated with our class this year in April. She kicks ass. I wish more women from those types of countries would follow my friend's example.