Oprah school abuse scandal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
financeguy mentioned the rather high incidence of child sexual abuse at all-male schools in the British Isles (boarding schools etc.) in another thread a few weeks back as arguable evidence that those kinds of all-male environments are simply not very healthy--perhaps one could speculate something similar is illustrated by this incident, though female teachers/administrators physically and sexually abusing female students isn't something you hear of nearly as often.

In a more general sense, though, I'm not sure how much of a "story" there is here--obviously what happened is very unfortunate, but sadly child abuse by school officials just does happen sometimes, including at "elite" schools like Oprah's; it isn't necessarily a reflection on the integrity of the school overall (depending, I guess, on whether and to what degree a coverup may have been involved) and certainly not on its founder.

yolland said:

In a more general sense, though, I'm not sure how much of a "story" there is here--obviously what happened is very unfortunate, but sadly child abuse by school officials just does happen sometimes, including at "elite" schools like Oprah's; it isn't necessarily a reflection on the integrity of the school overall (depending, I guess, on whether and to what degree a coverup may have been involved) and certainly not on its founder.

I agree that I'm also not sure how much of a "story" there is here and also agree that obviously what happened is unfortunate..

Back
Top Bottom