Operation Gladio - a conspiracy theory that turned out to be true - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:18 PM
Operation Gladio - a conspiracy theory that turned out to be true

Conspiracy theories and theorists are routinely scorned on this forum.

Here is a 'conspiracy theory' that turned out to be true:-

Operation Gladio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Politicians about Gladio
Whilst the existence of a "stay-behind" organization such as Gladio was disputed, prior to its confirmation by Giulio Andreotti, with some skeptics describing it as a conspiracy theory, several high ranking politicians in NATO countries have made statements appearing to confirm the existence of something like what is described:

Former Italian prime minister Giulio Andreotti ("Gladio had been necessary during the days of the Cold War but, that in view of the collapse of the East Bloc, Italy would suggest to NATO that the organisation was no longer necessary.")
Former French minister of defense Jean-Pierre Chevènement ("a structure did exist, set up at the beginning of the 1950s, to enable communications with a government that might have fled abroad in the event of the country being occupied.").
Former Greek defence minister, Yannis Varvitsiotis ("local commandos and the CIA set up a branch of the network in 1955 to organise guerrilla resistance to any communist invader")
As noted above, the US has now acknowledged the existence of Operation Gladio.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Conspiracy theories and theorists are routinely scorned on this forum.
Well conspiracy theories by definition are routinely "scorned" or questioned almost everywhere not just this forum. That's why they are theories and not fact.

And not that there's anything wrong with Wikipedia, but it's not exactly the source I would use to prove a conspiracy true.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
And not that there's anything wrong with Wikipedia, but it's not exactly the source I would use to prove a conspiracy true.
Well, you're not a source I would use either.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Um, OK...
Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, why not address the topic? That article seems well-researched. Are the quotes from Andreotti and others incorrect?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
Refugee

It seems to me there are a few individuals here at FYM that have such a disdain for anything conspiritorial that they'll bend over backwards to disprove, shrugg off or simply laugh about ANY and ALL "theories" - never allowing themselves the room to contemplate that there may be certain TRUTHS that they were not taught in school, that never made it into the history books and that may have been purposely kept from us by individuals, agencies or Governments.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Well, why not address the topic? That article seems well-researched. Are the quotes from Andreotti and others incorrect?
Well first off like many of your threads you start off with an attack of this forum, doesn't really lead to great debate.

Secondly, all I was saying is I wouldn't use Wiki to prove a conspiracy. It's great for a lot of things, but when it comes to proving the controversial it's not your best tool.

Wiki itself stated some sections were under review. Personally I don't know much about the topic and would need to do more research to see if those quotes and other facts are real.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
It seems to me there are a few individuals here at FYM that have such a disdain for anything conspiritorial that they'll bend over backwards to disprove, shrugg off or simply laugh about ANY and ALL "theories" - never allowing themselves the room to contemplate that there may be certain TRUTHS that they were not taught in school, that never made it into the history books and that may have been purposely kept from us by individuals, agencies or Governments.

Well this argument of yours has been shot down more times than I can count. You often believe in conspiracy theories just for the sake of believing them and argue them with little to no facts. We like things to be backed up in here, call us silly
Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
Well this argument of yours has been shot down more times than I can count. You often believe in conspiracy theories just for the sake of believing them and argue them with little to no facts. We like things to be backed up in here, call us silly
Thanks-----you took the words right out of my mouth.

I am not really sure where the conspiracy is here.....but.....I for one have no interest in looking into it or searching for the research to make a case.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
I am not really sure where the conspiracy is here.....but.....I for one have no interest in looking into it or searching for the research to make a case.
Really? You posted to tell us that? What was the point, quite honestly?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Well first off like many of your threads you start off with an attack of this forum, doesn't really lead to great debate.

Secondly, all I was saying is I wouldn't use Wiki to prove a conspiracy. It's great for a lot of things, but when it comes to proving the controversial it's not your best tool.

Wiki itself stated some sections were under review. Personally I don't know much about the topic and would need to do more research to see if those quotes and other facts are real.

Anytime you want to actually DISCUSS an issue....
Old 07-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Really? So why even bother answering in the freakin thread, if that's the case??

You basically brought me out with your ravings. Which, make me laugh! Clearly, I am not intelligent enough to ignore evidence when it does not fit the conspiracy. I thought it would be nice to let you have your moment, you know? Kind of like a cat playing with a mouse.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
You basically brought me out with your ravings. Which, make me laugh! Clearly, I am not intelligent enough to ignore evidence when it does not fit the conspiracy. I thought it would be nice to let you have your moment, you know? Kind of like a cat playing with a mouse.
Keep on believing everything your government tells you.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Ummmmm....I could really have saved myself a lot of time and money with the amount of research I have done on Kennedy if I believed everything my government told me.

You and Harry can have fun with this. It probably is true, and my comment about where is the conspiracy is real....Where is the beef?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Ummmmm....I could really have saved myself a lot of time and money with the amount of research I have done on Kennedy if I believed everything my government told me.

You and Harry can have fun with this. It probably is true, and my comment about where is the conspiracy is real....Where is the beef?
The beef is, individual journalists and researchers that made claims about the existence of Operation Gladio were initially treated as cranks, loons and freaks.

And then subsequently various government ministers came out and said, after all, that Operation Gladio DID exist.

So, effectively, we had a conspiracy theory that 'went mainstream' and became generally accepted, more or less.

It's a legitimate and worthwhile point, in my opinion.