Openly Gay Mayor In Dallas? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:22 AM
Openly Gay Mayor In Dallas?

I hope he can win

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4881411.html

Quote:
DALLAS — Handicapping Dallas' mayoral contest in a recent interview, former Mayor Ron Kirk mentioned one thing as crucial to the candidacy of three-term councilman Ed Oakley: "The question for him is, 'Is Dallas ready for Ed Oakley?' "

If the 54-year-old small-business owner wins Saturday's runoff election, Dallas would become the first large city in the nation to elect an openly gay mayor.

This once-conservative stronghold has by all accounts become more diverse, more cosmopolitan and more politically liberal. But as city voters have become aware of Oakley's sexual orientation — which had not been prominently discussed in news coverage until last week — his campaign staff and key supporters said they are finding they are not quite living in freethinking Paris or Berlin, both led by gay mayors.

They say that wider knowledge of Oakley's sexual background — which he tersely acknowledges in interviews and debates — is hurting him in a Bible Belt city that remains home to scores of conservative churches, white and black, whose leaders regard homosexuality as a sin.
Quote:
There has been no discussion of specific gay rights issues during the campaign. Dallas revoked a ban on the hiring of gay police officers 14 years ago and adopted a policy barring discrimination against gays in hiring. It also has adopted an ordinance against discrimination based on sexual orientation in employment, housing and public accommodations.

The Washington-based Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, which supports homosexual candidates, pledged to raise $100,000 for Oakley's campaign and has raised about $80,000 to date, spokesman Denis Dison said.

The group's Web site casts the race as both historic and symbolic.

"Winning this mayoral race will not only make history for our community," the fundraising plea states, "it will send a message to every American that we can win — even in George Bush's backyard."

Old 06-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
Babyface

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Re: Openly Gay Mayor In Dallas?

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I hope he can win

because he's gay or because you have reviewed the candidates' abilities and resumes and feel he is the best person for the job ?

Old 06-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I hope he can win if he is the most qualified in spite of people praying in certain churches to get him off the ballot-stuff like that. I hope he can win in spite of prejudice against him because he's gay-prejudice that has absolutely nothing to do with his qualifications to be mayor.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
Babyface

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I hope he can win if he is the most qualified
fair enough
Old 06-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 05:22 AM
I don't think it will happen. Although Dallas has some political diversity, it still is a strong conservative town. You wouldn't believe the Bush bumper stickers you can see driving down the interstate. It's somewhat nauseating.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:22 PM
This really highlights just how culturally different even supposedly conservative places can be in the US and New Zealand.

Dallas, US: Homosexual guy running for mayor causes a media stir and it may mean he won't win regardless of how qualified he might be.

Carterton, New Zealand: rural and conservative town elects Georgina Beyer as mayor in 1995. Born George Bertrand, she was a former drag queen, stripper, and prostitute, and she became the world's first transsexual mayor upon her election. She then ran for the rural and conservative Wairarapa district for the national parliament ... and won (first transsexual member of parliament in the world too). I don't even recall any controversy over her election as mayor. I only found out after the fact, when she was elected to parliament.

It seems that conservative in New Zealand translates as "raging liberal whackjob" in the US.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:22 PM
The current mayor of Dallas, is absolutely horrible.

Ed Oakley is a really nice guy, met him at an event years ago when I used to live there...

It will be interesting to see how the "conservative/ liberal" lines of Dallas matter in this. Overall Dallas is a pretty conservative city, with a handful of those megachurches with McDonalds in them, but it also has a pretty big gay community and one of the first predominately gay congregations at the Cathedral of Hope a 3500 member church...
Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by CherokeeRose
I don't think it will happen. Although Dallas has some political diversity, it still is a strong conservative town.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Smallville

You left out the nauseating/Bush bumper sticker part
Old 06-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

so you don't want openly gay public officials?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I thought the thumbs up was for Dallas still being conservative and that's why it wouldn't happen. I don't know.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
The Fly

I'm just proud that Dallas is still overall conservative.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

and so this will prevent the election of openly gay public officials? is that something to be proud of?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

and so this will prevent the election of openly gay public officials? is that something to be proud of?
Unless you find an openly gay public official who's going to run on conservative views and family values.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Not voting for a gay candidate simply because he's gay = bigotry.

Certainly something to celebrate!!!!