Onward, Moderate Christian Soldiers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
80sU2isBest said:
That's painting Schiavo as a virtuous man, at least virtuous in that situation.

'Virtuous in that situation'

Exactly, you said it yourself. And that is completely different to setting Schiavo up as a paragon of virtue.

To use an extreme example, if someone wrote a biography of Hitler, and along with detailing all his crimes, mentioned in passing that he once helped an old lady cross the road, or that he had good taste in classical music, would you accuse the biographer of putting Hitler forward as a paragon of virtue?

Come off it 80s.

Last edited:
I think it's time we stop looking for clean cut "good vs. evil" categories. Nobody is exclusively virtuous or demonic, and I think that by elevating Terri to a "saint" and demoting Michael to a "demon"--or vice versa--it's far too simplistic and unrealistic.

Melon

80sU2isBest said:

Well deep, I'm sorry you misintrept it that way. But what I wrote was very plain, and you certainly have to read between non-existent lines to take that I was attacking the children.

So there is no line conecting a father to his children?

You can not attack him for fathering children without the children.

Okay, tehn, maybe a rephrasing of my statement on Michael Schiavo will satisfy your demand for me to "come off it".

I, 80sU2isBest, having no knowledge of any of Michael Schiavo's behavior outside the case regarding his wife Terris Schiavo, do hereby testify that I make no judgment of his character based on anything other than his actions in the Terrri Schiavo case. However, I do hereby pronounce, based upon his actions, that he is an adulterer who fathered 3 children with his mistress.

There, is that better?

deep said:

So there is no line conecting a father to his children?

You can not attack him for fathering children without the children.

Deep, that makes no sense.

If I have a friend who was fathered by someone not married to his mother, and then he ran off. When I call the father a creep, I am not calling my friend a creep.

80sU2isBest said:

That's painting Schiavo as a virtuous man, at least virtuous in that situation.

far more virtuous than the Schindler's and the Republican party, that's for sure.

i know i said i was done, but now your hurling of "ADULTERER!" charges makes me laugh.

if you'd like to return to the Middle Ages in terms of your thinking and world view, please, find another country.

Irvine511 said:

i know i said i was done, but now your hurling of "ADULTERER!" charges makes me laugh.

if you'd like to return to the Middle Ages in terms of your thinking and world view, please, find another country.

You must be the only person I know who doesn't think that someone who cheats on his wife is an adulterer.

This is all technical tit for tat, the relationship was over, she was braindead-never to return. Can we let them all rest? Placing labels on anyone will not change a damn thing.

I am puzzled....

you need to have children to be an adulterer....

Shoot...let me run that one by my wife.

Honey, if I sleep with another woman, and she has no children by me, am I an adulterer or am I free and clear?

:::::pause:::::

:::::ducks the frying pan::::::::

:::::pause:::::::

:::::Wonders why she has the gun out:::::

80sU2isBest said:

You must be the only person I know who doesn't think that someone who cheats on his wife is an adulterer.

she was dead. can't you see that? SHE WASN'T ALIVE IN ANY SORT OF MEANINGFUL WAY AND SHE WASN'T GOING TO RECOVER. NEVER.

most spouses would want the other spouse to continue with their lives and move on because life goes on.

if my mother dies (or is in a hopeless PVS), i hope my father can greive, and move on, and find another woman with whom he can be happy. same for my mother if my father dies.

I guess I am not understanding this....

If I have an affair with a woman....and she does not have children by me....I am not an adulterer?

That is what I thought the argument was out there.

Irvine511 said:

she was dead. can't you see that? SHE WASN'T ALIVE IN ANY SORT OF MEANINGFUL WAY AND SHE WASN'T GOING TO RECOVER. NEVER.

most spouses would want the other spouse to continue with their lives and move on because life goes on.

if my mother dies (or is in a hopeless PVS), i hope my father can greive, and move on, and find another woman with whom he can be happy. same for my mother if my father dies.

Was she still alive, Irvine, or was she dead?

She was still alive, which means that Michael Schiavo was an adulterer. It's as simple as that. All your rationalization doesn't change that.

Dreadsox said:
I guess I am not understanding this....

If I have an affair with a woman....and she does not have children by me....I am not an adulterer?

That is what I thought the argument was out there.

I don't think anyone said that, at least I didn't.

I thought this was a thread celebrating moderate Christians.... :huh:

indra said:
I thought this was a thread celebrating moderate Christians.... :huh:

That's interference.com for ya Indra! Any thread dealing with religion would eventually crumble into a theological slugfest (geez, I love that term!). Just look at my first "Bono's view on eastern religion" thread...

Anyway, back to the topic...

My respest for John Danforth has grown after reading that article, and it pretty much articulates what I think about current events and Christianity in general.

Some people here may already know about my struggle with faith, but I would love to check out the church Danforth goes to.

80sU2isBest said:

Was she still alive, Irvine, or was she dead?

She was still alive, which means that Michael Schiavo was an adulterer. It's as simple as that. All your rationalization doesn't change that.

firstly, whether or not he is an adulterer has NOTHING to do with the legal or medical facts of the case.

secondly, it's obvious that, in your world, there's no such thing as nuance, complication, and shades of gray.

Terri was not alive in any meaningful sense. her organs functioned, her brain did not. she was in (let's say it again) A PERSISTANT VEGETATIVE STATE. as in, SHE WAS A VEGETABLE. she was no more alive than the trees in the woods or the grass on your lawn.

if you'd like to marry a cauliflower, you're more than welcome.

(just so long as it's not a gay cauliflower).

Irvine511 said:

if you'd like to marry a cauliflower, you're more than welcome.

(just so long as it's not a gay cauliflower).

No thanks, but I appreciate the offer.

Maybe I'll marry a peach - A Georgia Peach.

okay, i really am done here.

i am really surprised at how strong my reaction is to this particular case.

i don't know what else i can add.

(of course, i'll do my best to refrain ... but i can fly off the handle with the best of them)

Irvine511 said:

(of course, i'll do my best to refrain ... but i can fly off the handle with the best of them)

As can I, often to my own dismay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom