Onward, Moderate Christian Soldiers - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

it has nothing to do with hypocrisy. you really need to get a grip on what that word means, because you use it incorrectly.
The term hypocrisy does indeed apply. You griped about what you called my "cheap shot" at Schiavo, and yet, you made the equally insulting statement that I "refuse to think" and "choosing to be deceived". You don't see the hypocrisy in that?

Quote:
Michael Schiavo isn't running for office, doesn't hold any political power, and is just one player in a very sad family drama. to compare him, someone close to the situation and directly affected by all it's twists and turns, to grandstanding politicians who are seeking to exploit this situation for political gain (again, see Jeb's new crusade), to politicians like W, Jeb, and DeLay is, i would say, another refusal to think, and a stretch to make comparisons when they cannot be logically made.
I didn't compare him to those politicians. Where did I make any comparison? I said that Michael Schiavo was an adulterer.

Quote:
also, i know it's convenient for you to apply whatever view of marriage you have --
The LAW has the same view of marriage, Irvine - that unless you are officially divorced, you are still married. Adultery is having sex with a woman who is not your wife. Therefore, Michael Schiavo is an adulterer. Rationalize it all you won't; it won't change the facts.

Quote:
but i think MS accepted the fact that his wife wasn't coming back, she was essentially dead, and that NO ONE would want to 1) be kept in a PVS for 15 years with no hope of recovery, and 2) to be PUT ON TELEVISION instead of being paraded around by her obviously greiving parents. MS struck me as the adult in the situation, and his refusal to grant divorce was probably an indication of the fact that he knew Terri would never want to be either kept on life support, or dressed up by her parents.
All of that is assumption. You are ASSUMING that you know how he felt. And your theory that he didn't divorce her because he had respect for compassion upon her, doesn't jive with the fact that he disrespected her by sleeping with another woman and having 3 children with her. My assumption and the assumption of many others, I'm sure, is that if he really had that kind of respect for her, not to divorce her, then he would have respect to not cheat on her.

Quote:
but to say that Michael Schiavo was running around and impregnating Florida is such a weak little fart of an argument, so free of fact, that it's hard to take seriously.
I didn't say that. What I said was that he is free to impregnate anyone he wants to now, without his burdensome wife.

What I have a hard time taking seriously is that anyone would try to paint Michael Schiavo as a virtuous man.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:03 PM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:58 AM
Michael Shiavo may or may not be an 'adulterer'. It has little or no relevance to the wider issue however. Bringing the alleged character defects (in your view) of Michael Schiavo into it is side-tracking. You are judging Michael Schiavo based on your Biblically-inspired moral code of what is and what is not appropriate behaviour.

Michael Shiavo is not out there seeking election as a Christian conservative, or presenting himself as some kind of model of the Christian life.

In terms of the broader issue, it appears that he has been proven right and vindicated.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #78
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
What I have a hard time taking seriously is that anyone would try to paint Michael Schiavo as a virtuous man.

What I have a hard time taking seriously is that anyone would try to paint Dubya, Jeb and the aforementioned senators as the guardians of a nation's morals!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:36 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

What I have a hard time taking seriously is that anyone would try to paint Dubya, Jeb and the aforementioned senators as the guardians of a nation's morals!
Did I do that? If so, show me where.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:37 PM   #80
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:58 PM
to Financeguy!
Old 06-20-2005, 12:50 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Did I do that? If so, show me where.
No, you didn't, but the point is that no-one on the other side has tried to paint Michael Schiavo as some kind of moral paragon either! Or if they have they have foolishly played Delay's game. It's just not relevant as far as I can see.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:55 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

No, you didn't, but the point is that no-one on the other side has tried to paint Michael Schiavo as some kind of moral paragon either!
Did you read Irvine's posts about Schiavo?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:58 PM
As someone who claims to be pro-life

I find it puzzling that you keep attacking his chindren.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:02 PM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Did you read Irvine's posts about Schiavo?
Yes and I re-read them. I still don't see where he has painted Schiavo as a moral paragon. He may have said Schiavo was right in regard to this particular issue, or that Schiavo was vindicated in regard to the issue, or something along those lines, etc, but that is a different matter. Can you not see the difference?

Anyway I don't want it to appear that we're all ganging up on you.

I said my piece on it at this stage.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Let's be fair. 80sU2isbest has not 'attacked' Schiavo's children.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:11 PM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Yes and I re-read them. I still don't see where he has painted Schiavo as a moral paragon. He may have said Schiavo was right in regard to this particular issue, or that Schiavo was vindicated in regard to the issue, or something along those lines, etc, but that is a different matter. Can you not see the difference?
I can't see the difference, because there is no dofference. Thsi si what Irvine said about Schiavo:

"i think MS accepted the fact that his wife wasn't coming back, she was essentially dead, and that NO ONE would want to 1) be kept in a PVS for 15 years with no hope of recovery, and 2) to be PUT ON TELEVISION instead of being paraded around by her obviously greiving parents. MS struck me as the adult in the situation, and his refusal to grant divorce was probably an indication of the fact that he knew Terri would never want to be either kept on life support, or dressed up by her parents.
if he just wanted to rid himself of the situation, the easy way would have been divorce."

That's painting Schiavo as a virtuous man, at least virtuous in that situation.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:11 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:58 PM
Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isbest

Demonize? I don't have to demonize him. He's done a good job of that with his own actions. Cheap innuendo? I made no innuendo. I said it plainly; he shacked up with and had three kids with another woman while still married to his wife.
reading this

again and again in this thread is saying these children are illegitamate i. e. bastards.

that is what the harping on this says to me.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:13 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Who's children did I attack?

I didn't say anything negative about the children that Schiavo fathered with his mistress. I said something negative about Schivao himself. I said that he was an adulterer for sleeping with the woman.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:16 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

reading this

again and again in this thread is saying these children are illegitamate i. e. bastards.

that is what the harping on this says to me.
Well deep, I'm sorry you misintrept it that way. But what I wrote was very plain, and you certainly have to read between non-existent lines to take that I was attacking the children.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:16 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Thank you.