Only In California - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2004, 12:34 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:37 AM
Normal Only In California

California Measure Would Align Building Rules With Feng Shui

Quote:
The resolution, which has yet to pass a committee vote before going to the full Assembly, is meant to encourage planning agencies, building departments and design review boards to provide for the use of feng shui principles, which often touch on the placement of doors and staircases, the position of buildings and the alignment of objects in rooms. It aims to help people live in harmony with nature by promoting the flow of chi, or positive energy, and neutralizing or avoiding negative energy.
Figures our elected officials are hard at work addressing only the most important issues.

Anyways, isn't "feng shui" psuedo religious?

Old 01-31-2004, 12:58 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Feng shui is kind of interesting, but to be honest, if you want to follow it, then it's not just about placement of stairs and windows, but you need to decorate certain rooms in specific colours, furniture has to be metal or wood depending on placement, etc. It's really complicated.

Plus, you're not supposed to have a house facing an intersection, because feng shui says that your money will flow away that way. But you tell me how you'll avoid building houses at intersections and I'd love to hear it. I don't think they want to waste space by leaving it open.

IMO, this is silly and if you want feng shui, you should approach your builder individually to make sure your house is built in a certain way. Most people don't believe in it anyway, so what's the point of voting on it?

Old 01-31-2004, 07:22 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Only In California

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Just like the 38+ "Defense of Marriage" acts around the nation.

As usual, our politicians are taking care of the issues that are most important to our national security and economy .

Politicians are useless.

Melon
Old 01-31-2004, 10:58 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Re: Only In California

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Figures our elected officials are hard at work addressing only the most important issues.
It's Chinese martial arts stuff, which isn't a bad idea to know something about, especially if you're a girl and work in a library. But these politicians are nuts. I've never heard of such a thing.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:34 PM   #5
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:37 AM
I just studied about Feng Shui. Conclusion: it is interesting (it's not a martial art, like someone suggested ) but I'm too much of a minimalist and like empty space, and don't like junk sitting around, to practice it. I'm also not superstitious.

They say it's not religious but it smacks on replacing God, to me, with pieces of paper and color and little crystals and mirrors placed in just the right places so that all your visitors think you're nuts! but you won't block or confuse that ch'i. Pr. CHEE.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:34 PM   #6
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:37 AM
It sounds like something my Aunt would do, actually.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:59 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Soul Always
I just studied about Feng Shui. Conclusion: it is interesting (it's not a martial art, like someone suggested ) but I'm too much of a minimalist and like empty space, and don't like junk sitting around, to practice it. I'm also not superstitious.

They say it's not religious but it smacks on replacing God, to me, with pieces of paper and color and little crystals and mirrors placed in just the right places so that all your visitors think you're nuts! but you won't block or confuse that ch'i. Pr. CHEE.
It's rooted in Taoism, and so is both T'ai Chi and acupuncture. But I agree about the pieces of paper, color, mirror and crystals. Strange.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:22 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

You Californians are wacky
Old 02-01-2004, 09:12 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

I'd hate to see all the goofy laws that are already in the books in California. The California Code fills a bookcase floor to ceiling.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:54 PM   #10
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:37 PM
Is this like an extreme version of the nutty absence of floor number 13 on most offices and hotels?
If any of you are so unfortunate enough to live on an intersection, placing a statue of an elephant with it's trunk turned up and a rolled up $5 note stuck in the trunk, will solve your money flow issues.

I mean, so will a financial adviser, but dont let this stop you!
Old 02-02-2004, 11:04 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I find the absense of the 13th floor frustrating as well. I used to work for a law firm that occupied the top two floors (12th & 13th) of a building. At first, the building owner referred to the 13th floor as the "Penthouse". It was too confusing for clients, so we forced them to go back to using "13" for the top floor.

As far as I know, the absense of 13th floors is done by owners, not required by building codes.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:38 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

The builders of the oldest hospital in Birmingham didn't put a thirteenth floor in it. When they got to floor #13 during World War II they left it out. Superstition even struck the local scientific community.