Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Active shooter in Dallas tonight at the scene of a BLM protest. 2-3 cops reported shot.

Things are escalating quickly over the past several days. Don't know what more to say.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This is absolutely horrible - an awful response to an awful situation. It's a tragedy on top of a tragedy - though it would be inexcusable for people to use it to detract from the awfulness of the earlier shootings.

But it's interesting in some ways beyond it's awfulness. Dallas is a wildly segregated city, with Downtown north to Plano being affluent and heavily White/Asian American, while south Dallas is fairly poor and largely Black and Latino. This is interesting because it brings the situation to a place where both crime and police shootings are part of a sort of collective vision of "elsewhere" - even if south Dallas is only a few miles away, it's somewhere very different than Downtown and places northward. I've spent a lot of time in this part of Dallas, in office towers, hotels, museums, and fancy restaurants. My company's Dallas office, where I spent all last summer, is about half a mile north of this shooting. It's the sort of place you don't associate with policy brutality, crime, poverty, or racial tension. I think what this abhorrent shooting brings home, then, is that there is a huge problem of racial tension, oppression, and brutality in this country, and it's not something that those of us who live in areas relatively sheltered from it can put out of mind.

Shit, I think that niggas are tired of grabbing shit out the stores and next time it's a riot there's gonna be bloodshed for real. I don't think America know that. I think America think we was just playing and it's gonna be some more playing but it ain't gonna be no playing. It's gonna be murder, you know what I'm saying, it's gonna be like Nat Turner, 1831, up in this muthafucker.

10 officers shot, 3 dead. 2 "in surgery," 3 "critical." There are two snipers and neither are yet in custody as of a few minutes ago.

Okay, this sounds different than I thought. Snipers with assault rifles from buildings? I was assuming that this was a retaliatory shooting but this feels slightly more organized than that.

They said the shooting broke out as the protest (which was scheduled for 7-9) was wrapping up and people were getting ready to head home. And the protesters believed they too were being shot at, as everything was coming in from above.

They said the shooting broke out as the protest (which was scheduled for 7-9) was wrapping up and people were getting ready to head home. And the protesters believed they too were being shot at, as everything was coming in from above.

Wow. What a fucking mess, whatever the cause.

More accurately, everything in the world is terrible. But right now it's hard to look past the thick haze of Fucked Up that is this country.

Sent from my SM-G920T using U2 Interference mobile app

Dallas PD is running a photo of a guy in a camo shirt with a rifle, but you can SEE that guy in witness videos in the crowd when the shooting was happening. So Dallas PD may be full of shit.

This is horrific.

Given the setting and timing, it's natural to think it was a retaliatory attack for the murders of two black men over the last two days, but like others have said, the organized nature of it suggests it might be more than that.

I also have a hard time believing any of these African Americans are stupid enough to think that doing this was going to do anything but be counterproductive to their (incredibly important) cause. I mean, cops band together and protect each other. Any shred of guilt or sympathy much of the white law enforcement class may have had about the large number of police shootings of African American men over the last couple years is probably gone. Now the types of cops that end up shooting African American men are going to feel more hostile and more justified.

Violence begets violence. The cycle continues.

This is just awful.

His firearm was totes legal, btw. Open carry. Yee-fucking-haw Texas.

There's a lot that I love about living in Texas, and in a lot of ways I'm very proud to say that I'm from here. But there's a lot wrong with this state and the ridiculous degree to which a large amount of both our people and our politicians have taken pro-gun ideology is near the top of that list.

Hot tip: a guy in a camo-patterned shirt or shorts is not "dressed in camo." That shit probably came from Old Fucking Navy.

That poor man in the photo. It's like the "we found the Boston bombers" photos all over again.

Why yes, I am assuming this is not the guy. I'm pretty fucking cynical of the rapid news these days.

Dallas PD is running a photo of a guy in a camo shirt with a rifle, but you can SEE that guy in witness videos in the crowd when the shooting was happening. So Dallas PD may be full of shit.

The guy turned himself in. May not be involved at all. (Is that considered open carry in TX)

I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

Now they are saying another person is in custody.

I'm somewhat glad to know this Joe Walsh isn't Joe Walsh from The Eagles. We already have one washed-up 70s rock has-been asshole right-winger. We sure as shit don't need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom