Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So? What's stopping you from getting it elsewhere, or using a different type of fertiliser that works just as well? There's plenty of alternatives available that cannot be crafted in dangerous bombs.

Just like there are plenty of alternatives to semiautomatic guns that don't massacre 50 people in a few minutes.
You do realize this guy had 3 hours.
A couple of glock handguns and a few full clips would have done about the same.

Last edited:

In what timeframe did the actual killings take place?

Trump's not elected yet, facts still matter.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

these cops were not smart, they were holding off to negotiate, he was holed up in the bathroom most of the time
images

I really don't want to fault the cops or victims for not fighting back
I want to 100% lay this on Mateen, I am not a fan of the assault rifles and was fine the 10 years they were banned. I am not going to buy that banning that gun would have stopped Mateen for killing a bunch of gay people.

these cops were not smart, they were holding off to negotiate, he was holed up in the bathroom most of the time

They were routinely coming in the building to drag people out to save as many as they could.

It's hard to judge what happened without having been there.

Plus, does anyone ever stop to think... some might've tried to fight back and were shot and killed? It's very hard to judge this. We can all pretend like in our minds we would've done the right thing or we would be in the right place at the right time fully calm and collected and bash the fellow over the head with a bottle full of liquor (I have this imagination, myself). But, in reality, this probably wasn't at all possible. There are a couple stories of mass shootings that I recall where bum rushing a shooter has gotten people killed. There are also heroic stories where that worked. Can't judge. Not fair.

Plus, does anyone ever stop to think... some might've tried to fight back and were shot and killed? It's very hard to judge this. We can all pretend like in our minds we would've done the right thing or we would be in the right place at the right time fully calm and collected and bash the fellow over the head with a bottle full of liquor (I have this imagination, myself). But, in reality, this probably wasn't at all possible. There are a couple stories of mass shootings that I recall where bum rushing a shooter has gotten people killed. There are also heroic stories where that worked. Can't judge. Not fair.

It depends. Are you a good man with a gun?

If so, you will take him down with one shot and save everyone because that's what happens.

If you are a good man with a gun.

Gun rights advocate (or just a local loudmouth, either way) in Texas yammered about having guns for her family's protection.

Well, now after a family argument, she shot both her daughters and then was shot by police.

Guns might protect you from Bad Guys With Guns, until that Bad Guy With a Gun is someone inside your own house.

Even if he had 3 hours, the time it takes for one man to maul down 50 people is FAR more fast and efficient with one of those semiautomatics than with a couple handguns. THat would require him to switch guns, giving people the opportunity to overpower him. Plus, he'd have far less bullets, less bullets a minute... how do you not see the difference?

Even if he had 3 hours, the time it takes for one man to maul down 50 people is FAR more fast and efficient with one of those semiautomatics than with a couple handguns. THat would require him to switch guns, giving people the opportunity to overpower him. Plus, he'd have far less bullets, less bullets a minute... how do you not see the difference?

Id be careful with a bit of what you're saying there. Someone proficient with a firearm is difficult to overpower regardless. The handgun he had was also semi automatic, as are most handguns. Fast enough where he could've still shot nearly as many people. I think where the rifle comes into play as being far worse is two things: first, it's a higher velocity weapon that does a lot more damage. So, it's going to kill more people when they get shot. Second, in a shootout, the difference in rate of fire becomes noticeable. Responding officers are at a severe disadvantage, which is what allowed this to become a hostage situation.

I still agree with what you're getting at... but no patron was going to overpower this guy were he just using handguns. This was highly premeditated.

a weapon you aim with two hands, a shoulder, and sights close to your eye is also orders of magnitude more accurate.

Not to make some kind of argument out of this... but he opened fire into a packed club. Obviously an assault rifle is more accurate, but I doubt he was aiming during the majority of his shooting more than just ringing off shots.

2 suicide bombers hit the security lines. Turkey has had its rash of terrorism that goes under reported, probably because it's the crossroads of civilization and not in the industrialized west. However, this time I expect more coverage since they hit the international gateway to Turkey and some of the dead are likely to be foreign nationals.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

My sister (who lives in Jordan as part of an IAAD US company) was supposed to be flying out of Jordan today. She changed her flight to yesterday because of some dinner plans she made...

It's sad all around. My fiance and I were out for ice cream last weekend and an awkward person with a big bag was sitting two tables away from us. Seemed far fetched that someone in Wisconsin would shoot up an ice cream parlor, but you just never know any more.

We decided to move to the patio because at least we figured if she started shooting up the place, we'd have enough of a head start to get out of there safely.

It's sad all around. My fiance and I were out for ice cream last weekend and an awkward person with a big bag was sitting two tables away from us. Seemed far fetched that someone in Wisconsin would shoot up an ice cream parlor, but you just never know any more.

Considering there was a shooting at the prom in fucking tiny Antigo of all places, yes, I agree with you.

I had a dream a few weeks ago that there was an active shooter at work. That was really disturbing.

And then I started thinking about it (not the first time I'd thought of it). I work for a very well-known company who puts itself out there publicly on certain issues, and it's not hard to imagine some whackjob would target us - more likely a store than our corporate office, but again, you never know.

And this week, new in the building, are updated emergency procedures, including, of course, what to do in case of a shooter.

I don't want to live on this planet in this country anymore.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom