ongoing mass shootings thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it was an errant tweet after somebody thought they heard gunshots. All calm in SD

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

This was a massive BREAKING NEWS headline for a while on the CBC's website this afternoon.

The national taxpayer-funded public broadcaster did that as a result of an errant tweet.

:|

This was a massive BREAKING NEWS headline for a while on the CBC's website this afternoon.

The national taxpayer-funded public broadcaster did that as a result of an errant tweet.

:|

Every station was piggybacking off each other for awhile. Milking it until it was confirmed otherwise.

So he passed background checks.
Doesn't appear to have a criminal record.

Described as quiet and nice guy, had a family.

And yet we'll do everything to NOT blame the gun.

I always get a sinking feeling when I see this thread bumped.

Bemusing to constantly see 'but he was a nice guy!' without fail after these tragedies.

Bemusing to constantly see 'but he was a nice guy!' without fail after these tragedies.

It's amazing how often you hear that after any sort of crime.

Or it's just the opposite sometimes-if I recall rightly, didn't the Virginia Tech shooter once set a dorm room on fire, or set something of significance on fire, some number of months or years prior to the shooting? I dunno about anyone else, but that would've probably set off some MASSIVE red flags for me. Even if people don't specifically envision someone like that shooting up a school, chances are pretty good they're still going to pose a serious danger of some kind to the public.

So he passed background checks.
Doesn't appear to have a criminal record.

Described as quiet and nice guy, had a family.

And yet we'll do everything to NOT blame the gun.

Oh, of course not! Why on earth would anyone want to discuss guns in relation to the topic of gun violence? That's just crazy talk!

So is it true what I read in the paper this morning, that in the year 2016 there have already been 42 mass shootings in the US? :yikes:

Clearly a lot of nice guys here. Everyone can pretend to be nice if it gets them what they want..

robertdenirotaxidriver.jpg

Oh, gee, look, another one :sigh::

https://gma.yahoo.com/kansas-workpl...0-wounded-010052334--abc-news-topstories.html

Larry Wilmore was discussing the whole thing with the Apple phone investigation debate the other night, and he made a good point: it's funny how the government will do everything imaginable to investigate and track that sort of thing, but apparently we just can't be bothered to do something similar when it comes to gun ownership/usage.

Last edited:
Oh, geez, so there were fatalities, then?

Damn. I knew the article said "mass casualty", which indicates death, but I wasn't certain since they'd only mentioned injuries, so that tripped me up and confused me a bit.

But if that's the case, then ugh. That sucks. And a suicide vest as well. Wonderful. Sounds like another San Bernadino sort of situation, maybe.

(The guy who killed that singer from "The Voice" yesterday, I heard he had a small arsenal of weapons on him, too, as though he were planning on a mass spree of his own.)

Holy shit.

The weird part is that this isn't yet all over my social media feeds like other big American shootings, but I guess it's a bit early over there, and to be honest I'm not sure those of us in Australia really have much to say about these events any more than a baffled and saddened shake of the head, and the same broken record comments about America's incomprehensible-to-us gun culture.

Gunman in a Latin gay club. 20 dead. The gunman killed himself. Sounds like he was organized and prepared. They are calling it an act of terror. He had an assault rifle as well as a "suspicious device."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom