ongoing mass shootings thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So another day, another shooting at a US school or university.

Can I just say the people who plead "if crazy people can't get guns they'll find another weapon" are complete fucking morons? Even if crazy people in Australia have found other weapons since 1996, they sure as shit haven't done a fraction as much damage as those with guns do.

Can I just say the people who plead "if crazy people can't get guns they'll find another weapon" are complete fucking morons?

It's also a strangely negative/pessimistic point of view to take for a nation that prides itself for its scrappy, we can do anything we want to and can all achieve the American dream line of thought.

Hey, it had been almost 8 days since the last school shooting. That's a bit better than the 6 we were averaging. Everything's fine.

So another day, another shooting at a US school or university.

Can I just say the people who plead "if crazy people can't get guns they'll find another weapon" are complete fucking morons? Even if crazy people in Australia have found other weapons since 1996, they sure as shit haven't done a fraction as much damage as those with guns do.

Along similar lines, this whole "if we outlaw guns then only outlaws will have guns" criminals-will-still-break-the-law argument is essentially an argument against laws of any sort.

-If we outlaw theft, thieves will still thieve!
-If we outlaw murder, murderers will still murder!
-If we outlaw child abuse, child abusers will still abuse children!

It's idiotic.

Besides the fact that no one is suggesting outlawing all guns! But any attempt at gun control legislation is treated as "they're coming for our guns!"

The Roseburg sheriff, with a straight face, argued before his state legislature earlier this year that background checks are a terrible idea that would do nothing to prevent criminals from getting guns because they'd just break the law and find them another way. So basically, unless it is 100% effective we shouldn't even try, even if the proposed laws would make it more difficult for criminals to get guns?

We just had a clip in a satiric news show from a dude, who apparently claims that if the Jews in WW2 had guns, the Holocaust would not have happened. Does anyone know the guy's name? That really had me flabbergasted... wtf.

We just had a clip in a satiric news show from a dude, who apparently claims that if the Jews in WW2 had guns, the Holocaust would not have happened. Does anyone know the guy's name? That really had me flabbergasted... wtf.

Well Ben Carson just made that argument recently....

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Is he a person of any significant importance over there?

He's a Republican running for president, a pediatric neurosurgeon by trade, who's been polling #2 in the Republican field behind Donald Trump due to his 'outsider' status.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Obama is in Seattle this afternoon after a stop in Roseburg. There are, apparently, some people in Roseburg who don't want him there, because a visit to the scene of the horror will of course mean he's "pushing his anti-gun agenda."

I may have actually yelled "OH FUCK YOU" at the radio when I heard that this morning.

I'm not proud of it. But I'm not sorry, either.

I wish there was a easier way to stop this.

The real shame here is that there is an easy way to drastically reduce it. Painfully easy, and a way that does not threaten anyone's liberty or take away their rights. Get rid of the lobbying arm of the NRA and there wouldn't be an "ongoing mass shootings thread" on this or any US-based forum.

It's mind boggling that one side of this debate has essentially looked at all these tragedies and the alarming rate at which they occur and said "this is acceptable collateral damage for our cause."

Yeah, no need to be sorry, Cori. You have every right to yell that. Fuck these gun nuts, indeed. They're complete and total morons, and something needs to be done to push back against their BS rhetoric. Anyone in Roseburg protesting Obama's visit...just...ugh. How the recent shooting wasn't a reality check for them, I don't know.

Also, regarding Ben Carson, he's a massive dumbass and he really needs to just stop talking.

The real shame here is that there is an easy way to drastically reduce it. Painfully easy, and a way that does not threaten anyone's liberty or take away their rights. Get rid of the lobbying arm of the NRA and there wouldn't be an "ongoing mass shootings thread" on this or any US-based forum.

It's mind boggling that one side of this debate has essentially looked at all these tragedies and the alarming rate at which they occur and said "this is acceptable collateral damage for our cause."

:up:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Mind boggling indeed.. just can't wrap my head around that some people are totally okay with all this..

We need black and Muslim groups to get together and start celebrating their right to open carry in those states which allow it.

I bet we'd get some folks supporting gun control then.

someone said this in jest on another site, but there's got to be some truth to it. Didn't the right wingers freak out in the 60s or 70s when the Black Panthers celebrated their open carry rights?

I think you're on to something.

It's about time America got the black gay Muslim aborted fetus in favor of gun rights hero we deserve.

Mind boggling indeed.. just can't wrap my head around that some people are totally okay with all this..
It really is. When you read some opinions of people on the internet, it seems that most Americans are also baffled as to why nothing is changing. I think Irvine also linked some articles that say most Americans are in favor of at least some regulation?

How can something which a fairly large portion of the population supports, not happen? The money involved in American politics seems the biggest problem to me. It's unbelievable how much influence the private sector has.

It really is. When you read some opinions of people on the internet, it seems that most Americans are also baffled as to why nothing is changing. I think Irvine also linked some articles that say most Americans are in favor of at least some regulation?

How can something which a fairly large portion of the population supports, not happen? The money involved in American politics seems the biggest problem to me. It's unbelievable how much influence the private sector has.

The NRA is an incredibly powerful lobby group.

They hold us all hostage.

We could have some movement on gun laws next year

Gun rights advocates are urging the Supreme Court to strike down a local Chicago ordinance prohibiting semiautomatic "assault weapons" that can carry more than 10 rounds.

The justices on Friday were to consider the appeal in Friedman vs. City of Highland Park. If they refuse to hear the appeal, the announcement could come as early as Tuesday morning. Such a decision would signal that cities have the authority to restrict high-powered weapons.

But if the justices vote to take up the case, it would put in doubt the constitutionality of laws in other places, including California, that prohibit semiautomatic weapons.

"These are some of the most popular firearms commonly used by law-abiding citizens in America," said David H. Thompson, a lawyer for the Illinois gun owners who are challenging the assault weapons ban adopted in the North Shore Chicago suburb of Highland Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom