ongoing mass shootings thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:up:

this is non guns related but if I ran a grocery store I would program the registers at the express to start adding an additional fee for every item over 10

We program our express registers to not accept any more than 10 items.
Once it reaches 10 items, it can no longer add items. Yet there's still douchebags that want to make multiple purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

We only have one counter at where I work and all we sell are books and magazines, so we don't have the "10 items" thing. But I still very much approve of that idea for places that do :up: :).

Totally agree. I would be super depressed if that happened here.

Says something about the ingrained negative issues in the US when arming these people is a preferable solution to actually doing something.

Bingo. This is my thinking, too. It implies that people are just naturally expecting (or worse, itching for) a gunfight to happen. Self-fulfilling prophecy, in a way.

We only have one counter at where I work and all we sell are books and magazines, so we don't have the "10 items" thing. But I still very much approve of that idea for places that do :up: :).

Bingo. This is my thinking, too. It implies that people are just naturally expecting (or worse, itching for) a gunfight to happen. Self-fulfilling prophecy, in a way.

I don't want open carry, or even concealed carry for citizens. I do not see the point.

My point was since we won't ever pass laws to limit access to guns, that we should go the other route and have more professionals to protect us. Not citizens, not rent a cops

It's still a denial of where we are as a society, and denial means we still do nothing. I would love for us to close loop holes at guns shows, have more tests/restrictions for when and after you buy a gun (we have tests for our drivers and pilot license)

But we know that will not happen. So I'd just like to see more law enforcement at public places

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Oh, no, yeah, I know that's what you were getting at, BEAL :). I was just continuing on with thoughts shared in other people's posts, speaking generally. Apologies for any confusion on that, though.

And I do understand your reasoning behind that suggestion, and in theory I could agree with it in a lot of ways for the time being. But in practice, I'm still wary of the idea. I still don't like the idea of armed guards at schools, or armed guards walking around your local supermarket, or things of that sort. '

I just still think there's too much opportunity for risk or things to go wrong there, too (would we vet all these people taking professional jobs of that sort so we're not blindsided by someone who's been hired and got on a power trip with all that authority?). And I still worry about what might happen if someone comes in and takes the guard's weapon, and things of that sort, too.

I honestly do believe eventually we will see real change on this issue. Or, I guess I should say, I still have hope we'll see real change on the issue. As I said before, I know that seems hard to believe sometimes given all the lack of any notable action thus far, but I do think eventually there will be enough of a shift to where people actually FINALLY fight back and change the laws. What we'll do until then to try and protect ourselves, I don't know.

But I do know that putting armed professionals in everyday locations, or, as others out there HAVE suggested, arming average citizens, is an answer or solution that I'm personally not entirely comfortable with.

Last edited:
b54e4677d615753a43dbb6f0b66562c7.jpg

It's tough to keep track of those California cities sometimes, for a second I was worried because my cousin lives in Santa Barbara. He has been living there since before the mass shooting that happened there within the last couple years.

Reports of 1-3 shooters, white men, heavily armed, with body armor. Some stations saying 12 confirmed dead.

CNN just pulled away from a helicopter shot that appeared to be showing a large movement of authorities with their guns drawn approaching the building.

I have a friend that is an employee of the County of San Bernardino

I think she is ok, many families and friends will not be. Local reports are that 3 men wearing amour entered killed/ shot people then got in a black SUV and left. They are gone.
At this point, I believe this is correct. I won't speculate on number of casualties or wounded.

Last edited:
I feel confident in speculating that these shooters were Syrian refugees, as everyone knows they're our biggest threat.

what's the emoji for disgusted sarcasm?

CNN is speaking with an employee at the facility, which works with the developmentally disabled, and she confirmed that last year they began training for active shooter situations and were prepared for situations like this.

At a facility for the developmentally disabled.

It's tough to keep track of those California cities sometimes, for a second I was worried because my cousin lives in Santa Barbara. He has been living there since before the mass shooting that happened there within the last couple years.

I have a friend that is an employee of the County of San Bernardino

I think she is ok, many families and friends will not be. Local reports are that 3 men wearing amour entered killed/ shot people then got in a black SUV and left. They are gone.
At this point, I believe this is correct. I won't speculate on number of casualties or wounded.

I find it odd, that when these things happen we (and I include myself) tend to want to include ourselves in the story. These incidents are always 100% disgusting for the loved ones and friends of the victims. I always feel a sick inside knowing the extra pain these people will have to suffer with for the rest of their lives.

I have been to San Bernardino several times, I have never been to Paris, I have been to the WTC, when it was standing. And none of these things mean a damn thing to any of the families of the victims.

Last edited:
I find it odd, that when these things happen we (and I include myself) tend to want to include ourselves in the story. These incidents are always 100% discussing for the loved ones and friends of the victims. I always feel a sick inside knowing the extra pain these people will have to suffer with for the rest of their lives.

I have been to San Bernardino several times, I have never been to Paris, I have been to the WTC, when it was standing. And none of these things mean a damn thing to any of the families of the victims. I
My point was more about how often these things happen that it becomes hard to keep track of, not about inserting myself. I'm not part of this and am not pretending to be.

What's scary is that these fuckers are still on the loose. Hopefully they don't go ape somewhere else.

PS. For the record, this isn't terrorism because the killers are white.

now I hear there was a banquet for county personnel going on, (if this is correct)
my friend my have been there. she has not responded to my text.

conflicted, knowing there are dead people, I don't want her daughter, to lose her mother, but surely a lot of people have lost their parents or children today.

My point was more about how often these things happen that it becomes hard to keep track of, not about inserting myself. I'm not part of this and am not pretending to be.

Who cares if you were, though, anyways? People feel effected by things, they share how they feel. If other people want to be judgmental, let them.

I did catch your sarcasm, though.

But certainly we feel connected to these things because we read about them, we place ourselves in the shoes of those involved, and hell, sometimes we come away very frightened to know that these things can apparently happen anywhere.

I mean I get deep's point to an extent. I rolled my eyes at people who reacted to Paris by going "This is so scary for me, I studied abroad there four years ago." My post was just not particularly articulate in trying to say, "I actually forgot about the Santa Barbara shooting until just now, and you'd think I'd have remembered because my cousin lives there." The sheer number of shootings is overwhelming.

sometimes I feel a little guilty,
feeling worse if I think they are (my) people dying

what was worse?
the 2900? innocent people that died on 911

or the 100,000? innocent people that were burned alive in their homes in Baghdad during "shock and awe" as Americans cheered watching it on TV, like it was a fireworks display

this is especially scary for me as a U2 fan

I know for a fact Bono has passed through San Bernardino on several occasions

I just hope to G-d, Bono is ok

What's scary is that these fuckers are still on the loose. Hopefully they don't go ape somewhere else.

that appears to be the case, if they got in and out fast

and get a clean get away, there are a lot of soft targets where this could repeat

especially if these guys have a little training and expertise

not to minimize that event

but shootings at emergency centers, Clinica Hispana, are not uncommon, and they have detained the shooter

Last edited:
now I hear there was a banquet for county personnel going on, (if this is correct)

"KTLA caller says event targeted by shooter(s) was a San Bernardino County Christmas party going on at the Inland Regional Center."

if that is correct, my friend Susan would have been a person likely to attend.

that perception is not really that correct

again if you look at a country of 320,000,000 people, the number may not be as big as you think

and then go with approximate 195 countries and look at homicides per capita

and I doubt U S would be near the top

many think US is number 1 or at least in top 10, which I seriously doubt

all that said, I do think our gun laws are too lax and should be changed.

* UN resolutions 1441

Last edited:
San Bernardino County is the largest county by land area in the Country. Seems like they were targeting some county officials. Left in a tinted out Yukon black SUV. My early theory is that some county officials were turning the screws on the drug trade in some way, or maybe reneged on a backroom deal. The fact it was 3 men in masks suggests organization, but I shy away from a terror cell in that they go in to hit soft targets with maximum casualties and don't flee. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was some kind of Cartel or other drug dealing organization hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom