One year from today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

I don't think many people at all see the policy differences (or lack thereof). They just see the possibility of a Clinton dynasty and recoil.

Well I obviously have no idea what the feeling in Australia is, but certainly in Canada there is no ill will towards the Clintons, nor is there any kind of recoiling at the thought of them. And I don't think there is a country on earth that follows American politics or is exposed to American politics as much as we are. I remember once unico said to me that I should watch some local US news and I kept thinking, well what else do you think we watch up here? All of our network stations are fed through NY or MI anyway. And even with that bombardment, I don't think there is really any particular feeling about the Clintons or their dynasty.

I don't see any ill will against Clinton in Germany either. Most just wish for a Democrat, be it Clinton or Obama.
Bill Clinton's attacks and the "animosity" between Clinton and Obama during the primaries got discussed in the news articles here, but so far I don't see that people started to dislike the Clintons here.

But, on the other hand, most people follow the primaries only very cursorily.

Axver said:

Yeah. I don't know about you, but I've noticed here that a lot of more positive attitudes towards the US are dependent on there being a President Obama at the end of January 2009.

You know what that reminds me of:

About 30 or so years ago, there was a movie called "The Candidate" starring Robert Redford. It told the story of a group of people preparing this naive, humanistic person (Redford) for a senate run.

The PR machine behind him raced him from state to state, telling him what to say and do. They presented him as the next (and only) choice for senate, paraded him at rallies and debates until finally he won.

The classic last scene shows the celebration at his campaign headquarters. Redford looks bewildered at his campaign manager and says: ..."NOW what?"

That's exactly how I feel about Obama. He's all well and good on the trail (as are all the candidates) but what does he know about foreign policy? How would he handle Iraq and Afghanistan (besides cut and run the day after he's sworn in...), why do you think he'd make a good president? Based on what?

Change for change's sake is not always good....as we in Israel found out too many times when we switched a prime minister we didn't like with someone else just for the sake of getting the other guy out.

phillyfan26 said:
His positions, maybe? That's how we usually vote for people ...

Positions don't really mean anything because we know that positions can change.

Before the election, the candidate can say whatever he wants - he can be pro-abortion, anti-abortion, pro-gun control, anti-gun control...whatever. It's a whole different ballgame AFTER the election.

Besides, you can't really trust any politician except when they're put to the test (like GWB and Guilliani were). Not that I'd ever wish for anyone to be put to such a horrible test......

AchtungBono said:

That's exactly how I feel about Obama. He's all well and good on the trail (as are all the candidates) but what does he know about foreign policy? How would he handle Iraq and Afghanistan (besides cut and run the day after he's sworn in...), why do you think he'd make a good president? Based on what?

You may have a point. What did Bush know about foreign policy? Or how to handle Iraq and Afghanistan? The man was governor of a state--not a lot of foreign policy issues cropping up there. He didn't know a whole hell of a lot and look what it got us!

AchtungBono said:

Besides, you can't really trust any politician except when they're put to the test (like GWB and Guilliani were). Not that I'd ever wish for anyone to be put to such a horrible test......

So if that's the case how can you possibly know how Obama will stand up to such a test? Is it because he doesn't have a twangy accent like a cowboy and talk tough that you doubt his abilities before the test.

And could you explain to me exactly what it was that Guiliani did that was so heroic on 9/11 (other than his job). Just being on watch when disaster strikes doesn't make you a hero. Standing amidst the rubble and declaring we will carry on--any fool can do that. What specific actions did he take that made him such a hero that day? What would a lesser man or woman done?

Back
Top Bottom