One War Widow's Meeting With President Bush - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:56 PM
One War Widow's Meeting With President Bush

http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.co.../3061299.shtml

http://www.tpmcafe.com/blog/coffeeho..._with_this_war

"We literally sat knee to knee...I looked deep into his eyes and talked to him about love and losing people and that he was responsible for this. I said, `I didn't vote for you, but you are my President. And you're not serving me.'"

"I said I believed it was time to put an end to this. His job is to find solutions. I said, `You yourself have said you had erroneous information going into this.'"

She continued: "I said, `As a Christian man, you realize that when you've made a mistake it's your responsiblity to end this. And it's time to end the bleeding and it's time to end the war.'"

"I said, `what would truly bring healing is to start working on changing your policy towards the Middle East...as President, you're here to serve the people. And the people are not being served with this war.'"

She added: "I told him, `It's time as a Christian to put our pride behind us."

Halley said that the President appeared moved by what she'd said, but that she doubted it would bring about any real change. "He cried with me," she recounted. "I feel he responded to me emotionally. I don't know if that's going to change policy. It probably won't. But I hope it makes him think a little bit further."

Old 08-28-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:56 PM
Why do I imagine him saying, "This hurts me more than it hurts you?"

Old 08-28-2006, 11:18 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
"I said it's time to stop the bleeding," said Hildi Halley, whose husband, Army National Guard Capt. Patrick Damon, died June 15 in Afghanistan. "It's time to swallow our pride and find a solution."

She said Bush responding by saying "there was no point in us having a philosophical discussion about the pros and cons of the war."
What a moron.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:35 PM   #4
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 04:56 PM
Bush is such an embarrassment.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:08 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:56 AM
Quote:

She said Bush responding by saying "there was no point in us having a philosophical discussion about the pros and cons of the war."
Well that discussion has never happened before, why start it up now?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:53 AM   #6
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Why do I imagine him saying, "This hurts me more than it hurts you?"
I had a comment to make, but have forgotten it because of your avatar. Is that Michael Jackson? I'm trying not to laugh. This is a serious thread!
Old 08-29-2006, 04:49 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

What a moron.
As opposed to arguing with a war widow
Old 08-29-2006, 06:02 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

I had a comment to make, but have forgotten it because of your avatar. Is that Michael Jackson? I'm trying not to laugh. This is a serious thread!

Eek. Nope. A teeny-tiny Neil Young. Note to self--must change avatar.

I no more believe the President fully understands his responsiblity in the deaths of those soldiers (regardless of whether you believe he is doing the right thing in Iraq) than I believed President Clinton felt my pain.

I give him points for meeting with her. Not many points, but points.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:19 AM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

i suppose i find it most upsetting that the only way he seems to be able to emotionally respond to anything is to couch it in Christian terms.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

To be fair, according to the article and her account Mrs. Holley was the one to inject Christianity into it. That's not the reason I posted the article, but all the same seemingly she was.

I just really admire the way she spoke to him
Old 08-29-2006, 11:56 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i suppose i find it most upsetting that the only way he seems to be able to emotionally respond to anything is to couch it in Christian terms.
I really don't know why that would surprise or upset you. People of deep faith do tend to relate to most things from the viewpoint of their beliefs. If you are immersed in a blief system, it's going to show; you can't "turn it off".
Old 08-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

I really don't know why that would surprise or upset you. People of deep faith do tend to relate to most things from the viewpoint of their beliefs. If you are immersed in a blief system, it's going to show; you can't "turn it off".

it upsets me because it seems as if i must couch everything in Christian terms. with someone like Bush, i can't say, "i'd like to help a homeless person" and get an emotional response. i'd have to say, "as a Christian, it is incumbent upon us to help the homeless. WWJD?"

and i think that's the height of self-absorption, when you cannot understand anything other than through your own subjective belief system. it's akin to demanding that a menu in Moscow be printed in English.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
To be fair, according to the article and her account Mrs. Holley was the one to inject Christianity into it. That's not the reason I posted the article, but all the same seemingly she was.

I just really admire the way she spoke to him

and, my guess, is that she injected Christianity because she knew that was the best way to get through to him, since he's obviously not bothered by the daily grind of Iraqi bodies beyond what it means for his and his party's political prospects.

but, if we say the war isn't "the Christian" thing to do ... well, that's a whole other ballgame altogether! now we can talk!
Old 08-30-2006, 11:04 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

it upsets me because it seems as if i must couch everything in Christian terms. with someone like Bush, i can't say, "i'd like to help a homeless person" and get an emotional response. i'd have to say, "as a Christian, it is incumbent upon us to help the homeless. WWJD?"

and i think that's the height of self-absorption, when you cannot understand anything other than through your own subjective belief system. it's akin to demanding that a menu in Moscow be printed in English.
Okay, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying you were upset that Bush speaks in Christian terms from a Christian viewpoint. I believe that is natural for people of faith. However, I now understand what you're saying.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:35 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Okay, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying you were upset that Bush speaks in Christian terms from a Christian viewpoint. I believe that is natural for people of faith. However, I now understand what you're saying.

right.

i'm only upset because it seems that he can only understand emotions if they are placed for him into Christian terms.

i can understand having a Christian viewpoint, but i think that's different than being unable to relate to anything unless it is filtered through Christianity.