One Study About Teens' Use Of Condoms - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
Also, I don't like the attitude that how a parent decides to go about sex ed with their children essentially defines their entire relationship with the child.
While I'm not sure that attitude is evident in this thread, I have to agree with you on the idea. I think it's wonderful for people like Jen and her boyfriend to have open and frank discussions with her mother - and share her experience here but I don't think that's the norm nor should parents feel like they've failed the relationship if their teens won't open up about their personal experiences but are still conducting themselves responsibly on their own.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy

While I'm not sure that attitude is evident in this thread, I have to agree with you on the idea. I think it's wonderful for people like Jen and her boyfriend to have open and frank discussions with her mother - and share her experience here but I don't think that's the norm nor should parents feel like they've failed the relationship if their teens won't open up about their personal experiences but are still conducting themselves responsibly on their own.
Yup, I completely agree. And I should've said I mean in general, not necessarily this thread. I've noticed these attitudes a lot in various editorials regarding sex ed and sex ed programs. It's something that's been bothering me for awhile, but I don't think is representative of members here. It just sickens me to read parents attacking other parents over ONE issue that really should be approached in very different ways, depending on the relationship between the parent and child.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #48
The Fly

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound negative in my posts. I am really very positive about this whole issue. I agree that you don't have to dole out birth control and condoms in order to be a good parent. It definitely takes more than that...and teaching the child self respect, etc. I just see firsthand the horrible consequences of my friends...whose parents constantly restrict them. It just makes us want to act our more if we're told not to. I don't know what the deal with that is. I guess it's just teenage normalcy. But, I agree that it's not the norm for kids to be so open with their parents. It's just a happy oddity. But, I am truly happy and safe, so that's all that matters.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:24 PM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by jenU2child
But, I am truly happy and safe, so that's all that matters.

you might even want to show your mom your posts in these threads.

i bet she would love to know what a great job she has done as a parent.