One more > for Family Values??? - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #301
She's the One

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Senator Wide Stance is as guilty as a straight peeping tom who would be in a girl's bathroom in the next stall making unwanted advances, or outside of a kitchen window salivating at a woman.

It's not rocket science ppl.
Keep your feelings from clouding your judgement.

I'm done here.

dbs
Were you as hostile to Sen. Craig when he was voting for anti-gay marriage laws, or voting to decimate the environment?

Old 09-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #302
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i mostly agree with you -- but i also think that there are some of us in here who aren't mature enough to have a rational discussion on male sexuality especially when we toss around words like "DEVIANT!"

and i'll fully admit that there are things that go on in my "community" that i'm not terribly proud of. and i fully admit to an instinct to try to explain it away -- much like any other member of a community.
I agree with you on the maturity issue for sure.

What's interesting to me about the second part of your post is that I actually don't see the openly-gay-bathroom-cruising thing as something that you or any gay man should feel you have to explain away because I guess I don't think it's so bad, or perhaps I'm just used to hearing about it over the years. Even though sex in public bathrooms is about as appealing to me as eating placenta, as long as it's consensual I've never really thought twice about it. And I don't mean to be miss straight-girl-know-it-all-about-gay-sexuality but it's just that I'm older, I grew up around gay men, they didn't see it as dirty but rather thrilling and fun and who was I to judge. They felt empowered by their sexuality rather than ashamed and this was fascinating to me as someone who grew up in a very conservative, rigid, repressed environment. That's also probably why I have so much information about it...when people tell you "shocking" things and you keep a straight face and don't react or judge and instead just go, "really?! that's interesting," you continue to get a lot of juicy information.

But of course I understand why you might feel a need to explain it away in today's homophobic, sexophobic, American culture.

Maybe I shouldn't even really be a part of this discussion, I don't know. I just appreciate that the gay men I've known in my life are probably the main reason why I'm so open-minded about sexuality. In my own behavior, I'm still pretty conservative. But my viewpoint is very broad and I can't think of where else I got that from. So when I say that I know openly gay men who cruise bathrooms it isn't to make anyone ashamed or to bring negative attention to this aspect of gay culture, it's to maybe help people not be so uptight about what other people do sexually. But as you say, so many people can't have that conversation so maybe I should just shut up.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #303
She's the One

But sex in public bathrooms isn't just involving the two people is it? Are there other men in the bathroom, of whatever orientation, who really just want to use the bathroom and get on with their day? Would we be having this conversation if men and women were having sex in women's restrooms? Would that be okay?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #304
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Maybe I shouldn't even really be a part of this discussion, I don't know. I just appreciate that the gay men I've known in my life are probably the main reason why I'm so open-minded about sexuality. In my own behavior, I'm still pretty conservative. But my viewpoint is very broad and I can't think of where else I got that from. So when I say that I know openly gay men who cruise bathrooms it isn't to make anyone ashamed or to bring negative attention to this aspect of gay culture, it's to maybe help people not be so uptight about what other people do sexually. But as you say, so many people can't have that conversation so maybe I should just shut up.

first, no need at all for you to shut up. please keep talking. you always add so much.

and i just find it all so interesting -- i can see the freedom that comes with growing up outside of the normal boundaries of sexual interaction. most gay men over the age of 40 grew up where they weren't even acknowledged by mainstream society, so they made their own rules. and that can be quite empowering. and i'm sure it can be fun and thrilling, and you're right, so long as it's consensual and it doesn't affect other people, who cares?

it also seems that i'm, too, a product of my time. while i can sit back and think of such anonymous encounters as possibly being hot, i've always grown up seeing myself as part of mainstream culture, and despite being gay, i still see (most) of the rules still applying to me. and so i'm far more prude about such stuff than many other people. it seems as if prudishness comes from your discomfort with not comforming to certain rules and expectations.

now, this is not to say that prudery is bad, or that said rules and expectations are bad. i think it is to say that unchecked male sexuality probably needs rules and regulations to keep it healthy, and i think it is to say that there's nothing inherently wrong with whatever form of sexual expression you choose, just so long as you are willing to live with the consequences.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #305
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Would we be having this conversation if men and women were having sex in women's restrooms?

No, then it's turned into song lyrics:

"I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom"

Humpty Dance
Old 09-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #306
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

i mostly agree with you -- but i also think that there are some of us in here who aren't mature enough to have a rational discussion on male sexuality especially when we toss around words like "DEVIANT!"

Well why don't you start with one of your cheerleaders on the Left- Chris Matthews, he's the one who labeled Senator Wide Stance's crusiing as deviant (only because the Senator is a Republican). Any logical person could connect the dots.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20496581/

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-fi...ndidates-agree

Quote:
Would we be having this conversation if men and women were having sex in women's restrooms?
Yes Martha we we would if it were unwanted solicitation, as this was, so get that through your head. Google Senator Bob Packwood for starters, he's a Reuplican Senator who was ran out of office, because he harrassed women and he was- you guessed it a Republican.

Irvine I'm disappointed with you, you're getting desperate in your tactics as I win this discussion with clear headed logic, and I bench press 125% of my body weight without jerking or arching, so there.

In totality I think the male speices whether straight or gay is much much more promiscuous- and that is a genetic thing which is
provable

So take that again you bunch of intellectual schleps.

dbs
Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #307
She's the One

Quote:

Yes Martha we we would if it were unwanted solicitation, as this was, so get that through your head.
Believe it or not, my comment was not addresed to you.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #308
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
But sex in public bathrooms isn't just involving the two people is it? Are there other men in the bathroom, of whatever orientation, who really just want to use the bathroom and get on with their day? Would we be having this conversation if men and women were having sex in women's restrooms? Would that be okay?
My understanding is that it's usually selective public bathrooms that are known to generally be safe for this kind of activity and men try to be discreet. But yes, other men could walk in just to do their business and I wouldn't blame them for being upset. I guess I'm just saying that if two men are able to get away with it discreetly in a stall, who cares. If I walked in on a man and woman having sex in the bathroom, I would be annoyed and leave, and then tell it as a funny story later to my friends. If a man sneaked into the women's room and hit on me, I'd run and call the police because women aren't known for being available for that and I would assume I was about to be raped.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #309
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:58 PM
Quote:
[B]

Well why don't you start with one of your cheerleaders on the Left- Chris Matthews, he's the one who labeled Senator Wide Stance's crusiing as deviant (only because the Senator is a Republican). Any logical person could connect the dots.

Chris Matthews is hardly a social leftist, but i suppose anyone who was against the Iraq War has to be a hardcore liberal, so no matter what Matthews actually thinks and believes, you've put him in a box. so continue to believe it.

and i disagree with Matthew's statement.

[q]Irvine I'm disappointed with you, you're getting desperate in your tactics as I win this discussion with clear headed logic, and I bench press 125% of my body weight without jerking or arching, so there.[/q]

keep it up, sexyman. keep it up. for as long as you can. and without any of those little blue pills. that's cheating.

[q]In totality I think the male speices whether straight or gay is much much more promiscuous- and that is a genetic thing which is
provable[/q]

we agree here as well.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #310
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

No, then it's turned into song lyrics:

"I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom"

Humpty Dance
Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #311
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

first, no need at all for you to shut up. please keep talking. you always add so much.

and i just find it all so interesting -- i can see the freedom that comes with growing up outside of the normal boundaries of sexual interaction. most gay men over the age of 40 grew up where they weren't even acknowledged by mainstream society, so they made their own rules. and that can be quite empowering. and i'm sure it can be fun and thrilling, and you're right, so long as it's consensual and it doesn't affect other people, who cares?

it also seems that i'm, too, a product of my time. while i can sit back and think of such anonymous encounters as possibly being hot, i've always grown up seeing myself as part of mainstream culture, and despite being gay, i still see (most) of the rules still applying to me. and so i'm far more prude about such stuff than many other people. it seems as if prudishness comes from your discomfort with not comforming to certain rules and expectations.

now, this is not to say that prudery is bad, or that said rules and expectations are bad. i think it is to say that unchecked male sexuality probably needs rules and regulations to keep it healthy, and i think it is to say that there's nothing inherently wrong with whatever form of sexual expression you choose, just so long as you are willing to live with the consequences.
This all makes perfect sense to me.

I'm kind of a prude by most straight standards. I enjoy "Sex & the City" but I cannot relate to it at all.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:04 PM   #312
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I dunno, seems like that didn't save Clinton....or the shrew.
Ah yes. I forgot that it also helps if you're a Republican.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #313
Blue Crack Addict

I would really like to see the guilty plea thrown out.

(Sometimes when I am listening to my iPod, I tap my foot)

Quote:
In a CNN interview Sunday, one of Craig's Senate colleagues compared the guilty plea to a motorist paying an undeserved parking ticket. Sen. Arlen Specter, the ranking Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said Craig should stay in the Senate and fight to overturn his conviction.

"He thought that this matter would not be publicly disclosed, and that was very foolish," Specter said. "Now look here, you have 27 years in the Congress, you have his reputation, you have his whole life on the line. I think he's entitled to his day in court. Maybe he will be convicted, but I doubt it."

Specter said Minnesota law allows a defendant to withdraw a guilty plea "if there is manifest injustice, and that is defined that a plea can be withdrawn if it was not intelligently made," Specter said. "And what Sen. Craig did was by no means intelligent.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #314
She's the One

Quote:
"And what Sen. Craig did was by no means intelligent.
This doesn't make me have any more confidence in the Senate.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #315
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Sen. Craig seeks to withdraw guilty plea

Restroom arrest caused panic, he says
Monday, September 10, 2007 3:09 PM

THE WASHINGTON POST

WASHINGTON — Sen. Larry Craig today formally asked to withdraw his guilty plea to misdemeanor disorderly conduct in an airport men's restroom, saying “he was panicked” that the incident would prompt a home-state newspaper to publish allegations he was gay.

The Idaho Republican filed the court papers in Hennepin County (Minn.) District Court asking for a speedy hearing to meet his self-imposed deadline of Sept. 30 to resolve the criminal case. He has said he would resign from the Senate if the charge is not resolved by then.

Craig's legal team, lead by high-profile lawyer Billy Martin, argued in its filing that the plea should be waived because the undercover officer who arrested the senator in the restroom of the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport promised Craig that he would not call the media or publicize the arrest in any way.

“While in this state of intense anxiety, Senator Craig felt compelled to grasp the lifeline offered him by the police officer, namely that if he were to submit to an interview and plead guilty, then none of the officer's allegations would be made public,” Martin and Thomas Kelly, Craig's Minnesota-based lawyer, write in their filing.

The second prong of Martin and Kelly's argument is that the facts of the case do not add up to a crime. Craig is accused of using signals that are known to men having sexual encounters in restrooms -- tapping his feet, bumping one into the foot of the undercover officer in the stall next to him, swiping his hand under the partition dividing the stalls -- but his lawyers say that those were interpretations by the officer.

“Viewed in its worst light, (Craig's conduct) doesn't even rise to the level of annoying, much less disorderly,” the lawyers write.

The motions argue that Craig is not a lawyer and did not properly understand the rights available to him to contest the charges.

If the legal system works properly
the guilty plea will be thrown out.

If the Judge goes with the political winds
he will deny the request.