One more > for Family Values??? - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #286
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

and as the earlier article by Hitchens shows, it's CLOSETED men who often have WIVES who are the ones doing all this cruising.

most out gay men don't need to do this stuff.
I have known many openly gay men who cruise public restrooms. Some of them have longterm loving partners at home. I don't know what else to say. It happens. All the time. Maybe not so much in your generation but it's quite common in openly gay men over 40 but I know younger ones who do it, too. Openly gay men as well as closeted gay men cruise bathrooms. It's a fact of life.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #287
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I have known many openly gay men who cruise public restrooms. Some of them have longterm loving partners at home. I don't know what else to say. It happens. All the time. Maybe not so much in your generation but it's quite common in openly gay men over 40 but I know younger ones who do it, too. Openly gay men as well as closeted gay men cruise bathrooms. It's a fact of life.
kaching.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #288
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

kaching.
It kills me to agree with you on this.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #289
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:53 PM
Diamond, do you not understand why he is a closeted gay? I still want to hear your thoughts on this, based on your "for whatever reason" comment earlier.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:54 PM   #290
Blue Crack Supplier

it's not been part of my experience.

if i were single and wanted a blow job, i'd just hop online. but that's me. i associate bathrooms with shit and piss.

it is something that can and is associated with what might be called "gay culture" -- and not all aspects of all cultures, be they gay or black or jewish or evangelical protestant or Mormon, are positive. but the reasons for it lie in homophobia and shame, and i'd argue that this sort of thing is far less prevelant today than it was 30 years ago.

but diamond's triumphalism is telling. and i'd recommend you, sir, take a gander at Under the Banner of Heaven before you start pointing fingers and shouting "deviant" -- by your definitions, Joseph Smith was quite the "deviant."

and i'll just repost the Hitchens article:

[q]So Many Men's Rooms, So Little Time

By Christopher Hitchens
Updated Monday, Sept. 3, 2007, at 12:24 PM ET
I knew it was all over for Sen. Larry Craig when he appeared with his long-suffering wife to say that he wasn't gay. Such moments are now steppingstones on the way to apology, counseling, and rehab, and a case could be made for cutting out the spousal stage of the ritual altogether. Along with a string of votes to establish "don't ask, don't tell" and to prohibit homosexual marriage, Craig leaves as his political legacy the telling phrase "wide stance", which may or may not join "big tent" and "broad church" as an attempt to make the Republican Party seem more "inclusive" than it really is.

But there's actually a chance—a 38 percent chance, to be more precise—that the senator can cop a plea on the charge of hypocrisy. In his study of men who frequent public restrooms in search of sex, Laud Humphreys discovered that 54 percent were married and living with their wives, 38 percent did not consider themselves homosexual or bisexual, and only 14 per cent identified themselves as openly gay. Tearoom Trade: Impersonal Sex in Personal Places, a doctoral thesis which was published in 1970, detailed exactly the pattern—of foot-tapping in code, hand-gestures, and other tactics—which has lately been garishly publicized at the Minneapolis-St Paul airport men's room. The word "tearoom" seems to have become archaic, but in all other respects the fidelity to tradition is impressive.[/q]
Old 09-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #291
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Diamond, do you not understand why he is a closeted gay? I still want to hear your thoughts on this, based on your "for whatever reason" comment earlier.
Don't hold your breath...
Old 09-06-2007, 06:04 PM   #292
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Don't hold your breath...
I don't intend to let him ignore this. The worst debaters on earth are the ones who avoid the real questions.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #293
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

It kills me to agree with you on this.
i thought you secretly dug me, perhaps a db3 mis read.

regardless i always liked the fact that you're honest and forth coming person no matter what side of an issue you found yourself on.

dbs
Old 09-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #294
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
In his study of men who frequent public restrooms in search of sex, Laud Humphreys discovered that 54 percent were married and living with their wives, 38 percent did not consider themselves homosexual or bisexual, and only 14 per cent identified themselves as openly gay.
That study was published in 1975. There weren't as many openly gay men then. I don't know if there is a more recent study or not. I don't doubt for one minute that this is largely a generational thing but it's also a certain type of gay man who does this, not just of a certain age. I've never picked up a man in a bar in my whole life, not even in my wild drunken college days. Many women have. I have not, it has absolutely no appeal for me.

I also just know a lot of slutty guys, lol.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #295
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

That study was published in 1975. There weren't as many openly gay men then. I don't know if there is a more recent study or not. I don't doubt for one minute that this is largely a generational thing but it's also a certain type of gay man who does this, not just of a certain age. I've never picked up a man in a bar in my whole life, not even in my wild drunken college days. Many women have. I have not, it has absolutely no appeal for me.

1975, and Hitchens to boot.

dbs
Old 09-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #296
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

1975, and Hitchens to boot.

dbs

aaaaand ... so my point is further bolstered?

Joseph Smith liked to fuck little girls. and?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #297
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:53 AM
Well thank God we're cracking down on these dirty homos cruising our public bathrooms. They should just find prostitutes, cause if you're a man and you just go find a prostitute (oh, did I mention they must be female?), then you're totally cool as long as you make a show of putting it right with God and the wife.

I mean, what's next? Are these gays going to start carrying binders around with pictures of all their past conquests (free or paid for) to start showing to people?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #298
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

i mostly agree with you -- but i also think that there are some of us in here who aren't mature enough to have a rational discussion on male sexuality especially when we toss around words like "DEVIANT!"

and i'll fully admit that there are things that go on in my "community" that i'm not terribly proud of. and i fully admit to an instinct to try to explain it away -- much like any other member of a community.

but it takes mature people to get to a point where we can discuss these things and not use words like "KACHING!" because we're competing.

and, sadly, not everyone in this discussion is mature enough to do so.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:35 PM   #299
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
They should just find prostitutes, cause if you're a man and you just go find a prostitute (oh, did I mention they must be female?), then you're totally cool as long as you make a show of putting it right with God and the wife.
I dunno, seems like that didn't save Clinton....or the shrew.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #300
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:53 AM
Love the avatar, although it seems even the simple release of prostitution is still deviant.