One Family's Nightmare-Daughter's Accident Photos Go Viral - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:36 AM
I think I saw something like this on 20/20 a while back.

Ugh...

Old 07-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #17
New Yorker

Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
Local Time: 08:36 AM
i hadn't realized at the time it was a cop that took the pictures. Last night I was talking to my husband about this and we realized we'd seen the pictures. He reminded me that the email we'd been sent was from someone I'm in nursing school with. Thinking back to the pictures, they are just as horendous (sp?) as the article makes them sound, in fact they're even worse. I still don't agree that they should be on the internet or people should be stupid and sick enough to send them on to the family, but if the family were to release the photos for emergency medical lectures, things like that, then it would make sense. Speaking from a medical background, they're extremely disturbing and harsh, but if it were to be used in an educational setting for the purpose of something like EMT training or Emergency medicine, I could understand showing the pictures to people. But to have them on the net and because the family is completely against it, have some decency people and knock the bull shit off.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:36 PM
I haven't seen the pictures, but from the description in the article I don't think they are of much value even in an emergency medicine setting.
But generally I would agree that this could be a setting in which, after the approval of at least the family, it would be tolerable to be shown.
On the other hand, you could be certain that in that case eventually the pictures would be leaked either.

On a slightly related topic: For my time in the US I wanted to carry a donor card with me. I found one where it also asks for two witnesses to sign. Is that mandatory in the US or could I leave those fields blank? (Didn't want to open an extra thread for that.)
Old 07-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Yes, I believe they both need to sign. Also, I'm not sure where the card is from, but on the back of our drivers licenses you can sign to donate and have a witness sign but I was told these are no longer enough and you have to actually register to donate. Hopefully the donor card is the same as registering.

As for the photos, I've seen some really nasty ones in criminal justice classes, but that was an academic setting. You can't learn about blood spatter or the difference between a murder and a suicide without looking at the evidence. No one (at least I hope not) was joking about it or stealing the photos to pass around online. I can't fathom taking pictures of someone's brain matter spilling off the bed and sending it back to the family... that's WAY more sick than the photos themselves.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:16 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
But the police officer who leaked the pictures should be thrown out of his job.
That's it, right there.

It's all that can be done or should be done.

I knew a guy who worked for one of the biggest Insurance companies in the US, he had access to some graphic pictures and our mutual friend, we always had a gross-out, desensitized sense of humor. He brought in some pictures of a woman who was torn to pieces trying to cross I-35 in Dallas. Apparently she was a prostitute of some sort, whatever she was, it didn't matter. I felt sick seeing the pictures. Not because of the graphic nature, I am callous to that shit, but because of the devaluement of the human being and those who cared about her.

This insurance agent (casual "friend") and our mutual friend laughed at the pictures. I probably nodded in agreement out of deference and carried on, blah blah, I feel horrible about it right now. For at least two reasons. One, I should have had the stones to say to them, "hey, c'mon, this was a person, someone loved them, let's not gawk at her demise". The other was, how does this insurance agent, one of multiple thousands, get access to these pictures and what does that say about who might circulate a similar picture of my loved ones?

Maybe this woman was a horrid human being. But the least that death should give us (in whatever form) is rest from the ridiculous judgement of the assholes of this world. Which might be the majority for all I know. I'd bet those favorable odds.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Yes, I believe they both need to sign. Also, I'm not sure where the card is from, but on the back of our drivers licenses you can sign to donate and have a witness sign but I was told these are no longer enough and you have to actually register to donate. Hopefully the donor card is the same as registering.
Thank you!

It is the card here: OrganDonor.gov I will then let my mother and another person sign.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
That's it, right there.

It's all that can be done or should be done.

I knew a guy who worked for one of the biggest Insurance companies in the US, he had access to some graphic pictures and our mutual friend, we always had a gross-out, desensitized sense of humor. He brought in some pictures of a woman who was torn to pieces trying to cross I-35 in Dallas. Apparently she was a prostitute of some sort, whatever she was, it didn't matter. I felt sick seeing the pictures. Not because of the graphic nature, I am callous to that shit, but because of the devaluement of the human being and those who cared about her.

This insurance agent (casual "friend") and our mutual friend laughed at the pictures. I probably nodded in agreement out of deference and carried on, blah blah, I feel horrible about it right now. For at least two reasons. One, I should have had the stones to say to them, "hey, c'mon, this was a person, someone loved them, let's not gawk at her demise". The other was, how does this insurance agent, one of multiple thousands, get access to these pictures and what does that say about who might circulate a similar picture of my loved ones?

Maybe this woman was a horrid human being. But the least that death should give us (in whatever form) is rest from the ridiculous judgement of the assholes of this world. Which might be the majority for all I know. I'd bet those favorable odds.
From my limited legal understanding of at least German law, that guy would have made himself criminal.
Unfortunately, with most companies it is far too easy to get stuff out there. Most don't even recognize when you put a USB stick into a PC and load something onto it, or they simply don't check the computer logs.

I guess I would be the same, and rather not say would should be said, and sad about it. I know people who could get said what is to be said, regardless if it's friends or strangers, but from my experience most people, and I would count me in it, would just think "How gross to laugh about it" (and I have a pretty black humour as well) and let it go. And then be mad at myself to not having said anything.
Me and my brother have a really black, cynic and sometimes morbid humour, but we both never got behind how some people can find such pictures, videos etc. in any way funny. That's no humour at all.