On Christianity - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:56 PM
I totally agree with your post.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:36 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

because if all that there is (this earth, this life) is nothing compared to the afterlife, and if your life on earth is spent preparing for the afterlife, then what's to stop you from destroying life here if it doesn't matter at all?
I think what stops most believers from destroying life here is that religion really is ultimatley about this life--or at least about resolving the aspects of life on earth that most human beings can't seem to get completely comfortable with, chief among those issues, the whole death and suffering thing.

As for the radical believers that do seem intent on destroying the lives of the "infidels" I'm not entirely sure they are so motivated by the afterlife either. I sense there are more immediate (and twisted) rewards in the here-and-now for their need to attack in whatever form those who do not share their belief. Maybe it's the sense of power, of specialness, the motivations of hatred or prejudice, I really don't know. But I do know it's most likely very much wrapped up in this life not the next.

I do agree with you that humans have always been drawn to being able to claim a certain unassailable Authority as being on their side. And I agree with you that such claims are very dangerous.

Well, I'm off to do some "door to door" proselytizing. . . .

( I wish I was joking, but I'm not. . . Long story. Suffice it to say I tried to avoid it as long as I could, but now. . .my responsibilities at my church make it unavoidable. I'll try to avoid thumping my Bible or being pushy and hope for the best. **sigh**).

Old 09-08-2007, 07:51 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:56 AM
I think the base message of Christianity is very simple. I think living it is very hard.

And I want to thank Sean for posts here and elsewhere for making me keep that particular door ajar, when I've read so many posts here that made me want to slam it completely.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
I think the base message of Christianity is very simple. I think living it is very hard.
I would agree with you on that.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
And I want to thank Sean for posts here and elsewhere for making me keep that particular door ajar, when I've read so many posts here that made me want to slam it completely.
Thank you.