OMG! is Johnny Weir gay!?!?!?! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2006, 09:52 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Who gives a fuck if he is gay, the fact that he goes around in that CCCP shirt while representing his country means he is either stupid or making the lamest political statement since GWB took a stand against abortion.source
Being scared by the Soviet Union these days is like being scared of the Roman Empire. Both of them are history.

If he thinks it's fun, more power to him. It's not his job to be politically correct; it's his job to skate.

Melon

Old 02-18-2006, 04:50 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Being scared by the Soviet Union these days is like being scared of the Roman Empire. Both of them are history.

If he thinks it's fun, more power to him. It's not his job to be politically correct; it's his job to skate.

Melon

(Asked about the subject on his personal Web site, Weir replied, "People talk. Figure skating is thought of as a female sport, something that only girly men compete in. I don't feel the need to express my sexual being because it's not part of my sport and it's private. I can sleep with whomever I choose."--
thanks to Mrs. S.'s post)

I think Johnny Weir intends to be his own poster child, not anyone else's.

I kind of laughed at Rudy Galindo's quote. I was so impressed with him when he won the Nationals. But seeing him in skating shows afterwards, he became a parody of his own gayness. Brave, for sure. I wasn't offended at all, but bored out of my head. His orientation stopped being a part of what he was and started to become all that he was.

Weir's not pretending to be something he isn't (unless he is absolutely straight.) He's just not giving out all the private details. Seems he is perfectly comfortable being Johnny Weir.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:33 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 01:03 PM
The problem I have with this assumption is this: Edge wears 'gay' clothing. All four of them cross their legs in the traditionally 'feminine' fashion. And let's not forget their open affection for each other (U2, I mean). And yet, no one would even think to call any of the four gay.
Why is it that people consider Weir gay, exactly? Rudy Galindo is a fairly masculine guy. Never thoguht he was gay until I read his book.
Some guys are just..amusing. Weir is amusing. But whether he's gay or not, I don't know.
It's the same principle people apply to me. I wear a crew cut, and am generally about as masculine as they come. And, fact is, I am a female. Am I attracted to women? In the sexual sense, not really. Artistically? Absoloutely. I'm heterosexual. And yet, there's that 'threat' of being labeled gay simply because I don't go for the bullshit stereotype of femininity that is forced down the throats of american women.
Whatever.
This kind of thng an/noys/ me.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:05 AM   #19
War Child

Johnny Weir brings alot to the skating world.

*Slight rant:I was really wanting him or Evan Lysacek to win gold so bad! Yevgeny Plushenko is a good technical skater,but he lacks any emotion or charisma in MPO.

I thought that was part of the program??? Sorry rant over*
Old 02-21-2006, 08:11 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

I just saw an interview with him on TV. Damn...here's hoping he's part of the team. He's cute...lol.

And Rudy Galindo acts like a bitter queen. He needs to get over himself.

Melon
Old 02-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

And Rudy Galindo acts like a bitter queen
lol, I've always liked Rudy's skating but I guess he needed/wanted some publicity

I agree w/ what BonosSaint said, his orientation took over everything and he became a parody of sorts. It's kind of sad actually, just as his comments about Johnny are sad too.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:11 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Going shopping with Johnny

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101861_pf.html

"TURIN, Italy -- Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir has been out shopping every day, shopping so much that the Louis Vuitton store here, which he affectionately calls "Louie" and which he's visited six or seven times since arriving two weeks ago, paid for his cab recently when he was leaving.

" 'Cause I'm nice," he explains.

Because he's nice, or because he drops a lot of money?

"Well, both," he says.

He is nice. And charming. And so thin he buys children's sizes when he shops at Lacoste. And loaded down with money from skating shows like "Champions on Ice." And great at getting discounts. And capable of spending $1,330 in two hours, which is what he did Monday on his daily shopping trip.

He knows the staff in the high-end stores of central Turin. He knows who's having sales and who moved around their merchandise in the few days since he was last in the store. It's a rush to watch him spend -- reckless and freeing, like shooting tequila in the morning.

"I like to shop," Johnny says.

So far, Weir, 21, who came in fifth in the men's figure skating competition for the U.S. team last week (but first in matters of beauty and brashness), has bought the following items here: five pairs of shoes, a pair of rabbit fur hand warmers, a Dolce & Gabbana hoodie he says reads "Sex trainer: Best to practice seven days a week," and a sable scarf that was supposed to be $715 but was instead $415 because he spoke French with the saleslady.

Ah, the fabulousness that is Johnny Weir! The fur collars! The special deals! His absolute favorite item of clothing is a Roberto Cavalli beaver-and-python coat. He is also proud that the "Louie" in Boston "pre-sold me a bag before it was allowed to be released," he says. "I'm the first person in the entire world to have this bag."

Before starting the day's shopping, he meets us for cappuccino at a cafe near the Olympic Village wearing the aforementioned rabbit hand warmers, a Fendi scarf, True Religion jeans, which are his favorite brand ("I like how my butt looks in them"), a black leather coat with some sort of fur collar, and recently purchased red John Galliano sneakers, "new for this season," which were supposed to be $416 but which he got for about $120 because the store's credit card machine was broken, and "I made a scene because I had to walk to an ATM."
Old 02-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Going shopping with Johnny

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101861_pf.html

"TURIN, Italy -- Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir has been out shopping every day, shopping so much that the Louis Vuitton store here, which he affectionately calls "Louie" and which he's visited six or seven times since arriving two weeks ago, paid for his cab recently when he was leaving.

" 'Cause I'm nice," he explains.

Because he's nice, or because he drops a lot of money?

"Well, both," he says.

He is nice. And charming. And so thin he buys children's sizes when he shops at Lacoste. And loaded down with money from skating shows like "Champions on Ice." And great at getting discounts. And capable of spending $1,330 in two hours, which is what he did Monday on his daily shopping trip.

He knows the staff in the high-end stores of central Turin. He knows who's having sales and who moved around their merchandise in the few days since he was last in the store. It's a rush to watch him spend -- reckless and freeing, like shooting tequila in the morning.

"I like to shop," Johnny says.

So far, Weir, 21, who came in fifth in the men's figure skating competition for the U.S. team last week (but first in matters of beauty and brashness), has bought the following items here: five pairs of shoes, a pair of rabbit fur hand warmers, a Dolce & Gabbana hoodie he says reads "Sex trainer: Best to practice seven days a week," and a sable scarf that was supposed to be $715 but was instead $415 because he spoke French with the saleslady.

Ah, the fabulousness that is Johnny Weir! The fur collars! The special deals! His absolute favorite item of clothing is a Roberto Cavalli beaver-and-python coat. He is also proud that the "Louie" in Boston "pre-sold me a bag before it was allowed to be released," he says. "I'm the first person in the entire world to have this bag."

Before starting the day's shopping, he meets us for cappuccino at a cafe near the Olympic Village wearing the aforementioned rabbit hand warmers, a Fendi scarf, True Religion jeans, which are his favorite brand ("I like how my butt looks in them"), a black leather coat with some sort of fur collar, and recently purchased red John Galliano sneakers, "new for this season," which were supposed to be $416 but which he got for about $120 because the store's credit card machine was broken, and "I made a scene because I had to walk to an ATM."

wow, he might have even better taste than Pope Benedict!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
wow, he might have even better taste than Pope Benedict!
And, yet, their similarities seem to end there...

Melon
Old 02-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

like soooo totally gay!!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:54 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

having read the whole article, though, it seems as if the writer was out to prove johnny's essential gayness through his expensive taste in coture. i lost count of how many times the designer, the price, or both, of an item was mentioned.

i bet if anyone wrote an article as entrenched and immersed in stereotypically black or jewish behavior about a black or jewish athlete, there'd be a big problem. and perhaps rightly so.

it's hard -- you want to have a sense of humor and irony, and irony is something gay men tend to do well.

but i find something really off-putting about his over-the-top-ness ... kind of like when i'm in europe and i happen to see an american behaving badly, you want to say, "stop! you're just making it worse!"

he's also not my type at all. i'm not much for twinkahol.

this then leads back to my original intent with this post -- if he's so flamboyant, and in sport dominated by gay men, and gay judges, why can he still not be officially out?
Old 02-23-2006, 08:37 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
having read the whole article, though, it seems as if the writer was out to prove johnny's essential gayness through his expensive taste in coture. i lost count of how many times the designer, the price, or both, of an item was mentioned.

i bet if anyone wrote an article as entrenched and immersed in stereotypically black or jewish behavior about a black or jewish athlete, there'd be a big problem. and perhaps rightly so.

I thought the same thing when I read it

The sport might be dominated by gay men, but it is still barely spoken about. It is a very traditional world and I think perhaps they're still afraid on some level of turning off a certain element of the audience, my belief is that most people wouldn't give a damn.Ultimately it's his choice whether to be officially out or not, maybe if he wanted to he would be, I don't know.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Quote:
this then leads back to my original intent with this post -- if he's so flamboyant, and in sport dominated by gay men, and gay judges, why can he still not be officially out?
I guess this touches on the topic discussed in another thread - is "outing" a matter for the individual, or another group?
Old 02-23-2006, 12:23 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I guess this touches on the topic discussed in another thread - is "outing" a matter for the individual, or another group?
It should be for the individual. Another skater, Brian Orser, really wasn't given a choice. The media spilled the beans for him and it caused him alot of pain.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
It should be for the individual. Another skater, Brian Orser, really wasn't given a choice. The media spilled the beans for him and it caused him alot of pain.
Some good discussion in this thread