Old Soldiers Back On Duty - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 12-07-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 07:22 AM
Old Soldiers Back On Duty

(CBS) This past week, the Pentagon announced it’s boosting the levels of U.S. troops in Iraq to its highest point ever – 150,000.

It’s sending in paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne, extending the tours of Marines, and it has started drawing from a pool of semi-retired soldiers called the Individual Ready Reserve.

It's a sign that the Army needs able, and not so able, bodies very quickly. And many of the men and women being mobilized from the Ready Reserve – approximately 5,000 this year – are not very happy about it.

In fact, a third of these soldiers who’ve been called up haven’t shown up. But if old soldiers never die, as the saying goes, the Army isn’t letting them fade away. Correspondent Bob Simon reports.

It's an interesting read. 50 year olds being called back for duty. Say what you want, yes technically these soldiers are still under contract or what not, but this is ridiculous. It sounds of desperation. What is going to happen when we have to invade another country? Pull in the 70 year olds? Say what you want about not having a draft but will someone tell me the alternative is there is another attack by another country?

Old 12-07-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 08:22 AM
I think I read an article a couple of weeks ago about someone in their 70's going, I don't recall if it was voluntary or not

Old 12-07-2004, 01:45 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 07:22 AM
jon stewart had a story on the daily show last night about this...the woman looked old enough to be my grandma.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:16 PM   #4
love, blood, life
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Troops are needed for nation building, nation building is an optional practice, if there was a set of massive attacks launched from a variety of countries the US could bomb the respective governments to smitherenes and go after the terrorists with minimal troop numbers.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
War Child
Local Time: 05:52 PM
Troops are needed for nation building is an optional practice.