Old farts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamswildhoney

ONE love, blood, life
What is it with old people! This old lady got offended when I tried to help get into a restaurant. I was just opening the door for her and she got all pissy with me, tell me that she didnt need my help and that i should show more respect to elders.:huh:

Here's where empathy comes in:

Imagine living your entire life active and independent. Then, through no fault of your own, you end up old and feeble, pitied by everyone around you and treated like a helpless little child. Of course, it wasn't right for her to get pissy, but I have a feeling she laments the loss of independence she once had and, for her own pride and self-worth, she wishes to have as much independence as she can.

Melon

probably the last straw for her...i'd have been annoyed too, but i'd also feel really bad for her.....*sigh*......live whilst you can.....

i don't think you did anything wrong adam's wildhoney however, calling them "old people" doesnt help for one, i suppose.
i think about this a lot. the older generation aren't given the respect that they deserve, its true.
i guess whether you were trying to be nice and help her didnt come across to her. she never asked for the help in the first place so i can see why she got upset.
i am going to hate it when i am in my later years and people treat me like im a child. im not saying you did this, adamswildhoney, but it happens to them all the time.
it happens a lot in western society mainly. other cultures seem to have more respect for those with wisdom and experience.

it must be very disheartening at times, but then again, there are just a lot of cranky, old bastards out there too! lol

just forget that is thread ever happened okay! I would never call a elderly person an old fart to their face and i hope i didnt offend anyone!

good to know! My family refers to older people that way when we are talking to each other and i thought that other people might have done the same.

the lady should have been thankful. it's common courtesy to open doors.

zooropamanda said:

...but then again, there are just a lot of cranky, old bastards out there too! lol

Yes, there was one in the bagel shop this morning. He was going off on the kids behind the counter because they were spending too much time helping another customer and not enough helping him. So he yelled at them for a while and told the manager that he was incompetent. I wasn't too sympathetic. I thought he was rude and obnoxious. But he got away with it because he's an elderly man. :|

Yeah, and women often act the same way torwards men who open doors for them.
It is just an act of courtesy. Letting a door slam in someones face isnt exactly respectful.

Back
Top Bottom