Okay this is what I have to say to all you Christians - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2004, 08:43 AM   #121
Refugee

Local Time: 10:30 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay this is what I have to say to all you Christians

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

OK, so you're critiquing CATHOLOCISM, not Christianity in general. You should've made that more clear.
Catholicism is just a sect of basic Christianity, either of them I can refer to, it's not really relevant. The subtle differences hold no change in basis for any arguments.

Old 09-17-2004, 08:48 AM   #122
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Yes but it appears you've only studied Catholocism at great length and are extrapolating that information across all of Christianity. If you're going to make claims about who Jesus was, who God is/isn't, etc, then you at the very least need to understand that every single sect of Christianity has an entirely different way of understanding these concepts. I think for you to just throw them all out at once is pretty immature. Honestly, I don't like Catholocism either, but there are other ways of understanding sin, free will, original sin, Jesus, God, etc that I've found much easier to accept and truly believe. I think it's kinda sad that you're just giving up

Old 09-17-2004, 08:49 AM   #123
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman

Catholicism is just a sect of basic Christianity, either of them I can refer to, it's not really relevant. The subtle differences hold no change in basis for any arguments.
I've stayed out of this for a while. Based on this comment, I am not sure you have a deep, meaningful understanding of Christian doctrine and the difference between Catholicism, Protestantism or Christianity.

If you would like to discuss theology, I'd suggest doing so one doctrine at a time.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:51 AM   #124
Refugee

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay this is what I have to say to all yo

Quote:

I'm sorry, but that's the most blissfully ignorant thing I've read in a LONG time!
Not all forms of society, if that's what you are implying. Christian society. If you meant Christian society, it seems you know absolutely nothing of Christianity if you can't agree with that incredibly basic fact. LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR? Christianity built a highly cohesive society of its followers. Just what do you think Christianity is like today? It is a very closely held community that unites Christians of every type of description (black, asian, etc.) I have several books on why Christianity was so successful as a result of its ability to unite and bond its own society, in order to relieve YOUR ignorance.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:55 AM   #125
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I've stayed out of this for a while. Based on this comment, I am not sure you have a deep, meaningful understanding of Christian doctrine and the difference between Catholicism, Protestantism or Christianity.

If you would like to discuss theology, I'd suggest doing so one doctrine at a time.
The various sects of Christianity are fundamentally similar. They are obviously different in their own right, but not so radically different as to change any arguments? I think I may be wrong in that the theories of Original sin may be different? If I am, please tell me, but the key concepts should hold for all sects.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:56 AM   #126
Blue Crack Addict

Pick your topic and let's open the Bible.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:56 AM   #127
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, so now you think you know everything about everyone else's faith b/c you went to a Catholic church for 17 years and read a few books on the subject matter?

You really need to be more clear in your posts. Half the time I'm left going
Old 09-17-2004, 09:00 AM   #128
Refugee

Quote:
Oh, so now you think you know everything about everyone else's faith b/c you went to a Catholic church for 17 years and read a few books on the subject matter?

You really need to be more clear in your posts. Half the time I'm left going
I know nothing about anyone's faith, it's entirely personal. If you are talking about the sects again, I may be wrong with where I discussed orignal sin and classifying it as a generally Christian teaching. If I was just referring to Catholicism, never mind. (I can't remember and this thread has become pretty long.)
Old 09-17-2004, 09:05 AM   #129
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

No I don't believe that there is a supreme governor, but I will not publically say that Hindu\Muslim teachings are void, I know nothing of them. From what I personally believe, there is no supreme being at all, but I won't condemn any other religions. I am using Christianity as an example.

Muslim beliefs are based on strong belief in "Allah", "Allah" = God, therefore, if you don't believe in God you don't believe that religion either. Hindus believe in Karma and reincarnation. If there is no supreme power in the universe, no afterlife, no souls, how can there be reincarnation? See what I mean, if you denounce the existence of God as a supreme power you cannot give any other religion the benefit of the doubt either. It does piss me off you are ONLY attacking one religion here. If you were to disregard ALL religions based on your disbelief in a supreme power, that would be understandable. But to single out only ONE religion to pick on looks like you have a vendetta against it and all who believe it.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:23 AM   #130
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

Muslim beliefs are based on strong belief in "Allah", "Allah" = God, therefore, if you don't believe in God you don't believe that religion either. Hindus believe in Karma and reincarnation. If there is no supreme power in the universe, no afterlife, no souls, how can there be reincarnation? See what I mean, if you denounce the existence of God as a supreme power you cannot give any other religion the benefit of the doubt either. It does piss me off you are ONLY attacking one religion here. If you were to disregard ALL religions based on your disbelief in a supreme power, that would be understandable. But to single out only ONE religion to pick on looks like you have a vendetta against it and all who believe it.

No, I don't believe that there is a supreme being at all. I don't believe that there is a God called Allah in the Islamic faith, or Buddah in the Hindu faith. But I cannot condemn anything these other religions say because I know nothing of them. What I am saying is that because I believe that there is no God at all, I don't believe in any God of any religion, but I can only use examples from which I know of (Christianity). I am also debating several of the other Christian teachings, not just the existance of their God. That was my last post, I'm really tired and have soccer in the morning. I hope this made some sort of sense, I'll try to explain it again later if I didn't explain it properly.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:45 AM   #131
War Child

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay this is what I have to say to all you Christians

Quote:

NBcrusader and Bootleg are right, if this is what you think, then you have a long way to go. This is what I have been trying to convey, that it is not all the same. You are making blanket statements which do not apply to all of Christianity.

The Catholic hierarchy, which you place som much importance in, is essentially meaningless for Protestants and Orthodox believers.

This is where I bow out.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:58 AM   #132
Babyface

Local Time: 06:00 PM
I didn't read past the first sentence either, obviously he/she is looking for argument.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:59 AM   #133
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay this is what I have to say to all you Ch

Quote:
Originally posted by iacrobat

This is what I have been trying to convey, that it is not all the same. You are making blanket statements which do not apply to all of Christianity.

The Catholic hierarchy, which you place so much importance in, is essentially meaningless for Protestants and Orthodox believers.

Exactly. Thank you.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:21 AM   #134
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:00 PM
Buddha is not a deity for Buddhists--he is a human being who achieved enlightenment and is honored as a great role model for living, but not a deity.

Anyway, this thread is getting a lit-tle testy. It's been a week or so since I closed a thread and my fingers are itchy...

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:00 AM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

I would suggest closing so Aussie can raise specific issues for discussion.