Ok now i'm scared.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
Some kid at my school just got arrested for bringing a gun today. I saw him being driven away in the squad car. VERY discomforting. My school is upper-middle class, mostly white...much like Columbine actually. :sigh: Never thought I'd have to worry about this here.

As a teacher, I can tell you that you need to worry about that anywhere. Schools at which I have taught, have had several problems with guns and drugs. Be careful.

There were rumors at my school about a Columbine-like incident happening at my school when I was in high school. I'm from the 'burbs as well. I remember a lot of freaking out over Columbine, but it seems like school shootings haven't been talked about much lately. I remember there was also someone who brought a gun into school just a city away, and gunfire erupted in his locker. It's pretty sad that KIDS are doing this.

My senior year in High School, over 12 years ago before Columbine, there were a string of events that made national news. I went to a very affluent high school, my parents middle class income was towards the lower end if that tells you something. First we had a kid get busted for a handgun he had in his car, then a kid busted for a fully automatic weapon in his locker, and then to top it off we had a freshmen that pocessed enough plastic explosives to level the school. No one knows where the one kid got the automatic weapon, but the kid with the explosives was a son of an explosives expert in the military who had for some reason brought some of his work home.

All of this happened in a 3 week period. Made news, even made Letterman's top 10 lists of where to go for arms once military cuts take place.

Fortunately all of these students "bragged" about what they had and all got reported. We were fortunate.

Yeesh. Freaky :hug:. Glad they caught him before anything actually happened.

I remember the high school back in my original hometown had a rash of bomb threats for a while back in the late 90s (thankfully, nothing ever actually happened and they never found anything, it was just a few morons thinking they were oh-so-funny). But none of the schools I went to had weapons problems and all that. If kids fought, it was with their fists and nothing else. Drugs and alcohol were actually bigger problems at the schools I went to than weapons were.

Angela

That's scary...school is the one place were you should feel safe.

We had a few incidents like this waaaay back in the early 80's when I was in high school.

Some kids put pipe bombs in the trash cans in the senior quad and one of them went off as a janitor picked the can up...he lost part of his ear and was burned. The school was on lock down the rest of the day and were kept in the gym until the police swept the entire school.

A few months later, 2 kids in my neighborhood were caught with bomb making equipment and guns in one kid's garage.

We had some racially motivated incidents too but for the most part, most of the problems we had involved drinking and drugs.

I'm really glad that in 6 months, the last of my kids will be done with high school.

wooohoooo U2dem!!! :hyper: :applaud:

Acutally mine will probably be done in 4 months too...our original estimate took into account that he might need a summer school class but it looks like he's all caught up and won't need it :D

U2democrat said:
visiting the holocaust museum...my dad will be preaching at a church up there.

well, don't know if that museum will be fun, per say, but it's a worthwhile experience. very emotional.

if you need any restaurant recommendations, let me know.

we'll also go see the WWII memorial. we drove by it once but it was on our way out of town.

i don't think we'll need restaurant tips....we'll be staying with a family so they'll be providing the meals (i think)

A criminology prof. teaching a night class at UC Berkeley (I think) made the mistake of asking his students how many of them were carying guns. He reported something like 40% of the class admitted to carying one on them or in their bags at that moment. Scary stuff.

Jon

I guess I must be pretty sheltered or something. At my high school here in Queensland (I graduated last November), I only remember two incidents involving guns or drugs. The gun incident involved a couple of guys with pellet guns, joking around maliciously but not meaning to cause serious harm. The drugs incident was when a fellow in my grade was caught in possession on school property. All students involved in both incidents were expelled straight away. Heck, we had some girls suspended for a combination of water fights and establishing a club to hate a girl they were jealous of.

right after the columbine thing at my high school (i was a freshmen that year) three kids were arrested for carrying some "suspect" materials along with maps on locations on school to blow up...i guess the thing is shit can happen any where...but here in the states it usually doesn't, so we should be aware of potential problems but we shouldn't live our lives in constant fear

Back
Top Bottom