OK, maybe Jefferson didn't say it.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosSaint

Rock n' Roll Doggie
The statement attributed to Thomas Jefferson regarding dissent being the highest form of patriotism may be misattributed (or a hoax), however, I believe the words to be true.

Is dissent the highest form of patriotism? (We can argue all day about the methods of dissent and their appropriateness or effectiveness; however do you find the basic tenet of this statement to be true.)

No the act alone is not, I would say that preserving peoples right to dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

A_Wanderer said:
No the act alone is not, I would say that preserving peoples right to dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

Interesting clarification. I might agree with that, if so many people didn't agree with concepts in the abstract and then have a breakdown over the practice of it. So I will leave my original question as stands.

The inner "rebel" in me seems to agree with Tom on this. I think it's true in a way that you shouldn't conform just to conform, but see both sides of every issue, and if you must, escape the slavery attached to a certain mindset.

But then again, I think the protesters who went to great lengths to promote negativity played a major role in who got my vote in 2004. I questioned the Iraq war for a long time, but I was annoyed with all the "dying in vain" rubbish.

It should be protected, because it allows you to have a glimpse in someone's heart, and therefore you know what they really think.

Back
Top Bottom