OJ: "IF I did it, here's how"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe the Goldmans already lost that court battle

That creature is worse than despicable, at the very least you'd think he would care enough about his kids not to do this. He'll justify it by saying he needs the money for them. No one should buy this book or watch the show. I wonder what the jury thinks of this, maybe some of them will still believe he's innocent :|

He just makes my blood pressure skyrocket and I just wish he would go away, but he really has sunk to a new low. I don't think there's any low he wouldn't sink to, obviously after committing that murder there isn't.

Put OJ on "Dancing With The Stars".

That will be next. Followed by a VH-1 special about how he went through a trying time and pulled himself up again. It will be a touching interview.

Celebrity (no matter how it is attained) trumps all else in popular culture.

The masses have a short attention span.

kellyahern said:

I can't help thinking about his children too. "Hey kids, I'm doing a book about how if I killed your mother, this is how I would have done it!"

Gross.
I can't believe that I didn't remember his children. Those poor kids. Haven't they been put through enough?

And I am not surprised that Judith Regan, that soulless cunt, is involved in this.

I normally think television boycotts are useless and silly, but in this case I don't know.

I'm not happy about it, but I wrote my local Fox affiliate and asked them to consider not airing this program. That's the first time I've ever written something like that.

It just seems so hurtful, harmful, and just plain wrong to air something like this :(. I know people have the choice to not watch or to turn the channel, but then I keep thinking about the murder victims' relatives and friends.

I agree with you all - this is just sickening!!!

I can't believe someone is publishing the book at all :tsk:
Anything for the almighty dollar :tsk: :huh:

Lila64 said:
I agree with you all - this is just sickening!!!

I can't believe someone is publishing the book at all :tsk:
Anything for the almighty dollar :tsk: :huh:
I heard on the news that this book is number 30 on Amazon's best-sellers list.

I also heard that Judith Regan is doing this because she was in an abusive relationship with a tall, dark, and handsome athlete. Now, that's horrible, but work out your personal therapy in a way that isn't harmful to OJ's children and the Brown and Goldman families.

Last edited:
Golightly Grrl said:
I heard on the news that this book is number 30 on its best-sellers list.

I think that was actually #30 on Amazon.com...and it's up to #24 now.

I guess a lot of people are interested in this trash but don't have the guts to walk into a bookstore and buy it :|

He know's worthless ass can't be touched now because the law is protecting him. So how about doing everyone a favor and just admitting what we already know? That being that he did in fact kill his ex wife and her friend! Come on give it up already and let the victims rest in peace and let their families get on with their lives! Geez hasn't everyone involved including his children suffered enough already because of his ignorance? :tsk:

I refuse to buy this book think it's absolutely disgusting that he went and did this. If there was ever a worthless human being on the face of the Eart then it's OJ Simpson! :mad:

Golightly Grrl said:
Now, that's horrible, but work out your personal therapy in a way that isn't harmful to OJ's children and the Brown and Goldman families.

Absolutely, and I think that is an obvious attempt to justify and to be sympathetic. "Closure" in this case would be for OJ to go to prison, and there is no real closure for the Browns and Goldmans. It's not personal for Judith Regan, it's personal for them. I don't want to gain any insight into OJ's sociopathic mind, I've seen more than enough of it. I want him locked up.

The Associated Press
Updated: 1:33 p.m. ET Nov 17, 2006

NEW YORK - Under a barrage of criticism, Judith Regan says she published O.J. Simpson’s book “If I Did It” because she was a victim of domestic violence and thought the proceeds would go to Simpson’s children.

In an eight-page statement released Friday, Regan said Simpson approached her with the idea for the book, in which he hypothesizes how he would have committed the killings of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman.

“I didn’t know what to expect when I got the call that the killer wanted to confess,” Regan said in the statement titled “Why I Did It.” “But I knew one thing. I wanted the confession for my own selfish reasons and for the symbolism of that act. For me, it was personal.”

Although Regan has acknowledged that Simpson does not directly say he killed the pair, she said she considers the book to be his confession.

“My son is now 25 years old, my daughter 15,” said Regan’s statement. “I wanted them, and everyone else, to have a chance to see that there are consequences to grievous acts. ... And I wanted, as so many victims do, to hear him say, ’I did it and I am sorry.”’

“I didn’t know if he would,” she wrote. “But I wanted to try. I wanted his confession.”

Regan said she did not pay Simpson for the book. “I contracted through a third party who owns the rights, and I was told the money would go to his children. That much I could live with.”

“What I wanted was closure, not money,” she wrote.

Simpson was acquitted in 1995 of murder in the 1994 slayings after a highly charged trial. The former National Football League star was later found liable in a wrongful-death suit filed by the Goldman family but has failed to pay the $33.5 million judgment.

Regan said the book was a way to undo the “criminal injustice system” that let her own abuser go free.

She said she was abused while in her 20s by a man “who could charm anyone” and with whom she had a child. “And then he knocked me out, with a blow to my head and sent me to the hospital,” she said. She said police initially didn’t believe her story.

“I made the decision to publish this book, and to sit face to face with the killer, because I wanted him, and the men who broke my heart and your hearts, to tell the truth, to confess their sins, to do penance and to amend their lives,” she said.

“If I Did It,” published by ReganBooks — an imprint to Harper Collins, is scheduled for release Nov. 30. Fox is airing a two-part TV interview of Simpson on Nov. 27 and 29. Harper Collins and Fox are owned by News Corp.

After word of the book emerged, Regan wrote, she’s watched as the media “have all but called for my death for publishing his book and for interviewing him.”

“To publish does not mean ’to endorse’; it means ’to make public,”’ she said.

“If you doubt that, ask the mainstream publishers who keep Adolf Hitler’s ’Mein Kampf’ in print to this day. ... There is historical value in such work ... for anyone who wants to gain insight into the mind of a sociopath.”

If Judith Regan is so concerned about the Simpson children she could have donated money from her vast millions to help them. Or she could donate money to programs that help victims of domestic abuse. She's just narcissistic.

MrsSpringsteen said:

The Associated Press
Updated: 1:33 p.m. ET Nov 17, 2006

NEW YORK - Regan said she did not pay Simpson for the book. “I contracted through a third party who owns the rights, and I was told the money would go to his children. That much I could live with.”

This is how that rat bastard is getting around the Goldman's judgement! I'll believe the money is going to his kids when I see it. :rolleyes:

Judith Regan = Ful of Shit.

Had she just gone with the last point there, about the insights into the mind of a sociopath, I'd have a bit of respect, but the whole, "I was abused so letting OJ write a book gives me closure" makes no friggin sense.

A lawyer was talking on the radio saying he won't receive any money from this because it's so high profile it would be traced and the goldmans' would get it. He is making money in covert ways like selling memorabilia and autographs to 3rd. parties.

They suggested he is doing this mostly to stay in the limelight no matter how disgusting it is. He needs the attention.

I dunno it's hard for me to believe he won't profit :shrug:

http://www.dontpayoj.com/

I was just looking quickly through some of the names and Tom Cruise signed it, if that was really him.

Looking again that must be a joke, someone write Osama Bin Laden. What the f is wrong with some people that they have to treat something that is so painful to this family as a joke?

Last edited:
^ Neither really; it's just a petition, and advocates boycotting Fox, ReganBooks, and the various chain stores which plan to carry the title.

I've seen several lawyers quoted as saying it probably will be possible for him to keep his share of the profits, so long as he deposits them outside the US.

I have no idea whether OJ Simpson is really a sociopath as he's never been diagnosed as such, but the classic "True Crime"-genre pretense of "insight into the mind of a sociopath" is laughably oxymoronic--sociopaths are innately and compulsively dishonest, as well as incapable of experiencing most emotions or understanding them in others, so true "insight" into their thoughts is impossible--which is why the disorder is not considered treatable. As for the "I was abused too" rationalization, like UberBeaver said, that just doesn't make any sense at all. Most likely, Judith Regan simply wanted to be the first to break what will probably come to be seen as the definitive proof of OJ Simpson's guilt.

Last edited:
If I was inclined to believe God was a vengeful God, these word's would suffice...

Go tell that long tongue liar
Go and tell that midnight rider

You can run on for a long time
Run on for a long time
Run on for a long time
Sooner or later God’ll cut you down
Sooner or later God’ll cut you down
Johnny Cash

NY Daily News

O.J. Simpson's televised "confession" is too "disgusting" to air for some Fox affiliates.

Fox affiliates in Green Bay, Wis.; Omaha; Providence, R.I.; Fresno, Calif., and elsewhere have told Fox Broadcasting honchos they won't broadcast the controversial sit-down with the soiled gridiron great.

"We were deluged with calls and e-mails from outraged viewers who thought it was disgusting that this program was going to be aired," said Mike Angelos, vice president of corporate communications at Pappas Broadcasting, which owns four Fox affiliates bailing out of the show.

"We feel the program has no beneficial interest other than to O.J. Simpson and we have no desire to benefit O.J. Simpson," Angelos added.

Officials at Tribune Broadcasting, which has six Fox stations, were mulling the decision this weekend, said Richard Graziano, vice president and general manager of WTIC-TV in Hartford. Officials may see a tape of the show before deciding, he said.

"Many of the general managers haven't expressed a keen interest in running it," Graziano told the Daily News. "It's a tough one. I don't know what Fox is thinking," he said. "Anyone I've talked to seemed a little shocked by this."

Lin Broadcasting, which has five Fox affiliates, has backed out of the show as well. "We don't feel it's appropriate for northeast Wisconsin," said Jay Zollar, general manager of Lin-owned WLUK-TV in Green Bay. "We've gotten a significant amount of community ... [and] advertiser reaction."

Viewer backlash is also coming with unsolicited negative advertiser reaction in some markets.

For instance, in Green Bay, Zollar said he's got a list of nearly 30 advertisers who have called saying they want no part of Simpson's show. Some clients, Zollar said, don't even want to be on the air in the same week for fear of being tainted by Simpson blow-back.

"I don't think advertisers are lining up for this," said Brad Adgate, research director at Horizon Media. "A lot of advertisers have different thresholds for content. In this particular instance I wouldn't think there would be a lot of advertisers who would want to have their message associated with this."

Ultimately, the show may draw big ratings but little advertising, said Bill Carroll, vice president and director of programming for Katz Television Group. "Everyone seems to be appalled," he said. "But when you ask someone, 'Are you going to watch?' the answer in a coy sort of way is, 'Well probably.'"

Borders says they are donating profits from the book to domestic violence programs and victims, at least that's something. Obviously that's no reason to buy the book when you can just donate the money to your local shelter or to a national organization.

Drudge claims Fox has cancelled the book and the tv special, that better be true :drool:

It's on the Fox web site :hyper: That is awesome, people do have power.

Last edited:
O.J. Simpson book, TV special canceled By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer
8 minutes ago

NEW YORK - After a firestorm of criticism, News. Corp. said Monday that it has canceled the O.J. Simpson book and TV special "If I Did It."

I and senior management agree with the American public that this was an ill-considered project," said Rupert Murdoch, News Corp. chairman. "We are sorry for any pain that this has caused the families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson."

A dozen Fox affiliates had already said they would not air the two-part sweeps month special, planned for next week before the Nov. 30 publication of the book by ReganBooks. The publishing house is a HarperCollins imprint owned — like the Fox network — by News Corp.

In both the book and show, Simpson speaks in hypothetical terms about how he would have committed the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife Nicole and her friend Goldman.

Relatives of the victims have lashed out at the now scuttled publication and broadcast plans.

"He destroyed my son and took from my family Ron's future and life. And for that I'll hate him always and find him despicable," Fred Goldman told ABC last week.

The industry trade publication Broadcasting & Cable editorialized against the show Monday, saying "Fox should cancel this evil sweeps stunt."

One of the nation's largest superstore chains, Borders Group Inc., said last week it would donate any profits on the book to charity.

Simpson was acquitted in 1995 of murder in a case that became its own TV drama. The former football star and announcer was later found liable for the deaths in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the Goldman family.

Judith Regan, publisher of "If I Did It," said she considered the book to be Simpson's confession.

The television special was to air on two of the final three nights of the November sweeps, when ratings are watched closely to set local advertising rates. It has been a particularly tough fall for Fox, which has seen none of its new shows catch on and is waiting for the January bows of "American Idol" and "24."

The closest precedent for such an about-face came when CBS yanked a miniseries about Ronald Reagan from its schedule in 2003 when complaints were raised about its accuracy. The Reagan series was seen on its sister premium-cable channel, Showtime, instead.

One station manager who had said he wasn't airing the special said he was concerned that whether or not Simpson was guilty, he'd still be profiting from murders.

"I have my own moral compass and this was easy," said Bill Lamb, general manager of WDRB in Louisville.

For the publishing industry, the cancellation of "If I Did It" was an astonishing end to a story like no other. Numerous books have been withdrawn over the years because of possible plagiarism, most recently Kaavya Viswanathan's "How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life," but a book's removal simply for objectionable content is virtually unheard of.

Sales had been strong, but not sensational. "If I Did It" cracked the top 20 of Amazon.com last weekend, but by Monday afternoon, at the time its cancellation had been announced, the book had fallen to No. 51.

Back
Top Bottom