Ohio predictions - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #241
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:57 PM
A group from my school will be going up to PA the weekend before the primary to campaign for Obama. Time to really roll up the sleeves and hit the pavement.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #242
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
the Clintons would rather have a Republican win, than for the Democrat be not one of them.
Some weeks ago I've read an article about the allegations that she has worked against Al Gore so that she would have greater chances in this election.
Maybe she did so that time, and is doing it this time again? Me or no one.

Yesterday I read an article (satire) that the Democrats have a huge problem: They don't have any candidate, as both Clinton and Obama are running for night-shift telephone operator.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #243
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:57 PM
I've read a few posts here now about some kind of falling out between the Clintons and the Gores supposedly caused by the 2000 election debacle. Could someone give me some background info. on that? I'd never really heard about it until I read something about it here a few weeks ago. Sorry to go semi off-topic.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #244
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:57 AM
If the Dems want to win, this is what they have to do.

March 5, 2008
Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them — or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand
Old 03-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #245
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:57 PM
a Clinton/Obama ticket would, indeed, crush a McCain ticket ... unless he finds an appropriate female running mate which, if he's smart, he'll do.

i'm opposed to another 4-8 years of the Clintons for very different reasons, but i do agree that this would be a very powerful ticket.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #246
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
I've read a few posts here now about some kind of falling out between the Clintons and the Gores supposedly caused by the 2000 election debacle. Could someone give me some background info. on that? I'd never really heard about it until I read something about it here a few weeks ago. Sorry to go semi off-topic.
In "For Love of Politics - Bill and Hillary Clinton: The White House Years", author Sally Bedell Smith makes some claims how Hillary Clinton worked against Al Gore and how Gore since then feels she was in part reason for him not winning the election.

"As a sitting president, Bill was in a unique position to boost his vice president's candidacy by scheduling White House events to highlight his achievements. But in 1999 those resources were diverted from Gore to Hillary "in a big way," said one member of the Gore team. "The Clintons come first. That was their basic framework."

Further, by hiring Terry McAuliffe for Clinton's senate race and asking donors to give to her, it is claimed that Al Gore did receive less money for his campaign. At dinners, it is said, Hillary appeared instead of Al Gore, promoting her Senate candidacy, but not his Presidential race.

And Bill Clinton should have been mad at Gore for distancing himself during the Lewinsky scandal and is accused of sabotaging Gore's campaign with remarks about Gore's stiffness and a page one interview in the NYT where he not too subtly criticised Gore.

According to the book, Gore is making the Clinton's responsible to at least adding to his defeat in the 2000 election

And the question is if there might have been some calculation that it would be easier for Hillary to run in a later election if it was preceded by a Republican president than by a Democrat.

I'm taking this information from a Spiegel article reviewing the book. Alas, it is only available in German, and the only page I found where quotes from the book can be found is this page:
http://www.theleftcoaster.com/archives/011116.php
Old 03-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #247
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:

i'm opposed to another 4-8 years of the Clintons for very different reasons, but i do agree that this would be a very powerful ticket.
I'm not exactly jumping up for joy about it either but I can't see either Clinton or Obama winning in November on their own. I still pine for a day when the US is ready for a truly progressive presidency and neither Clinton nor Obama are that but at least a Clinton/Obama administration would be a departure from the Bush administration.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #248
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

That's great Hillary, but there's 49 other states besides Ohio, and a great deal of the ones that have already spoken don't want you.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #249
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega

In "For Love of Politics - Bill and Hillary Clinton: The White House Years", author Sally Bedell Smith makes some claims how Hillary Clinton worked against Al Gore and how Gore since then feels she was in part reason for him not winning the election.

"As a sitting president, Bill was in a unique position to boost his vice president's candidacy by scheduling White House events to highlight his achievements. But in 1999 those resources were diverted from Gore to Hillary "in a big way," said one member of the Gore team. "The Clintons come first. That was their basic framework."

Further, by hiring Terry McAuliffe for Clinton's senate race and asking donors to give to her, it is claimed that Al Gore did receive less money for his campaign. At dinners, it is said, Hillary appeared instead of Al Gore, promoting her Senate candidacy, but not his Presidential race.

And Bill Clinton should have been mad at Gore for distancing himself during the Lewinsky scandal and is accused of sabotaging Gore's campaign with remarks about Gore's stiffness and a page one interview in the NYT where he not too subtly criticised Gore.

According to the book, Gore is making the Clinton's responsible to at least adding to his defeat in the 2000 election

And the question is if there might have been some calculation that it would be easier for Hillary to run in a later election if it was preceded by a Republican president than by a Democrat.

I'm taking this information from a Spiegel article reviewing the book. Alas, it is only available in German, and the only page I found where quotes from the book can be found is this page:
http://www.theleftcoaster.com/archives/011116.php
Thanks! That's a shame. The Clinton/Gore administration was one of our country's best, and Al Gore would have made a competent and thoughtful president. I will never stop wondering what would've happened if Florida had turned out differently.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #250
Blue Crack Addict

She was speaking in the context that, in recent history, whoever has won Ohio has won the general election.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #251
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
She was speaking in the context that, in recent history, whoever has won Ohio has won the general election.
I know, but the last election is not necessairily indicative of the coming one. People from every state are going to be voting, so to put all her emphasis on one state is not a very smart thing to do. *coughGiulianiFloridacough*
Old 03-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
a Clinton/Obama ticket would, indeed, crush a McCain ticket

I have to disagree. I don't think there's going to be any "crushing" result, no matter what the tickets look like.

I'm in no way convinced that, if it came to this, Hillary would offer Obama the VP or that he would want it.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #253
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
That's great Hillary, but there's 49 other states besides Ohio, and a great deal of the ones that have already spoken don't want you.
They are saying Ohio is a bell-weather state.

In recent times, no democratic candidate that loss the Ohio primary and went on the get the nomination became president. Lose Ohio = lose to the Republican in November.

check it out, for yourself.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #254
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Ohio is a very important state.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #255
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:57 AM
People who say they want a Democrat win in November

and make emotional arguments for Obama are missing some very important facts.

Hillary is much stronger in getting Hispanic votes than Obama. In Texas it went something like 67% - 31%

also, in CA the same

McCain will get Hispanic votes,

Obama loses this group to McCain.

Hillary is much stronger with the Jewish vote than Obama

and that is why Hillary can win Florida and Obama will not.