ohio people? are you out there? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2004, 08:01 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:44 PM
What it boils down to is either fucking around setting up new layers of buerocracy and legal niches to uphold a restriction based on religious grounds.

If they dont want gays to be afforded the same reciognition then just call the forms "Gay Marriage" forms. Sheesh!

Old 10-05-2004, 10:14 AM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Based on the quoted wording, only the government would be unable to recognize domestic partnerships. Business would still be able to provide benefit programs to domestic partners, including same-sex domestic partnerships.
Yes, but businesses must comply with the laws of a state, and if the laws of that state forbid those benefits to only those partnerships consisting of a married man and woman, then it seems to me that a business wouldn't be allowed to do that.

There is also the entire picture to look at in this situation. It is not just "businesses" in the sense of corporations or companies, but also universities and other government offices. Ohio State recently granted certain benefits to faculty members and their domestic partners. I recall, not specifically, but I do remember some government offices that have similar domestic partnership benefit systems in place as well, and this amendment would cancel those as well.

I hope that makes sense.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:31 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pianorocker

Yes, but businesses must comply with the laws of a state, and if the laws of that state forbid those benefits to only those partnerships consisting of a married man and woman, then it seems to me that a business wouldn't be allowed to do that.

There is also the entire picture to look at in this situation. It is not just "businesses" in the sense of corporations or companies, but also universities and other government offices. Ohio State recently granted certain benefits to faculty members and their domestic partners. I recall, not specifically, but I do remember some government offices that have similar domestic partnership benefit systems in place as well, and this amendment would cancel those as well.

I hope that makes sense.
I understand your concern, but I believe your reading of the proposed law is too broad. If a law restricts public entities (government), it does not automatically apply to private entities (corporations). Universities do not constitute a political subdivision per se, so the law would not apply to them. The law would limit government agencies. It is much harder to challenge the law when it only applies within the state. Applying it to corporations would force corporation to potentially have two sets of benefits programs - far easier to challenge and get overturned.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:43 AM   #19
War Child

Quote:

I understand your concern, but I believe your reading of the proposed law is too broad. If a law restricts public entities (government), it does not automatically apply to private entities (corporations). Universities do not constitute a political subdivision per se, so the law would not apply to them. The law would limit government agencies. It is much harder to challenge the law when it only applies within the state. Applying it to corporations would force corporation to potentially have two sets of benefits programs - far easier to challenge and get overturned.
Hey nbc--can you give me a general interpretation of what you think the law will then do if not what is described by Piano?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:53 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemytrabant

Hey nbc--can you give me a general interpretation of what you think the law will then do if not what is described by Piano?
Based on the quoted material, the law does two things:

1. It prohibits the state from recognizing same-sex marriage.

2. Prohibits public entities from granting benefits to unmarried couples of a natural that is normally granted to married couples (i.e., inclusion on insurance policies, death benefits).

This second provision likely affects more heterosexual couples than homosexual couples.

If activists want to defeat this law, they could easily do so on this second point. There are too many unmarried couples living together who would not want to lose benefits.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:47 AM   #21
War Child

Quote:

Based on the quoted material, the law does two things:

1. It prohibits the state from recognizing same-sex marriage.

2. Prohibits public entities from granting benefits to unmarried couples of a natural that is normally granted to married couples (i.e., inclusion on insurance policies, death benefits).

This second provision likely affects more heterosexual couples than homosexual couples.

If activists want to defeat this law, they could easily do so on this second point. There are too many unmarried couples living together who would not want to lose benefits.
Thank you
Old 10-05-2004, 02:24 PM   #22
Acrobat

Quote:

Good point. I admit, I did forget about the public/private matters.

I guess the worry that still remains with me on the business issue is the fact that this amendment would open up the chance for a greater frequency of challenges and lawsuits, which become expensive eventually.

Thanks though for the explanations. =)
Old 10-05-2004, 04:42 PM   #23
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 07:44 AM
nbc:
is there any rational argument to the thesis that homosexuals shouldn't marry?
Or is it just forcing a minority (homosexuals) to believe what others believe (that it's wrong)?

If there is no logical explination for this law - do you think a government can be allowed to turn personal opinions into laws?
How about a law that americans must believe in our Lord, our saviour and our holy spirit? Do you think that would be helpful for the american society?
Old 10-06-2004, 07:42 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Klaus,

You have thrown a number of issues together.

If we characterize laws as "forcing" society to believe a certain way, we might as well open the books from page one and do an analysis of what we "force" people to believe.

As for the proposed Ohio law, I find the broad ban on domestic partnerships pointless and counterproductive.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:22 PM   #25
New Yorker

I just agreed with NBC.
I'm voting no on this because of the wid
Old 10-06-2004, 02:25 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Hey, there is probably a lot we can agree on
Old 10-07-2004, 12:11 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemytrabant

Don't do that--tell us what you think! You are gonna vote right?

Yes, I am voting.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:12 AM   #28
War Child

Hey guys I don't know if any of you saw this, but on Bill O'Reilly last night, they had a guy on who was defending what sounds like a similar law. The measure had passed by receiving 78% of the vote in Louisiana, but one judge overturned it saying it was unconstitutional. The matter is headed to the state supreme court.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:54 AM   #29
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:44 AM
Just an educated guess, but probably most of these attempted laws will be struck down. A law would have to be worded very carefully, I think, to be able to pass the muster of, say, an equal protection clause in a state constitution.

Which is why, incidentally, I *think* (though I'm no lawyer) a federal ban on gay marriage would ultimately fail. I think the 14th amendment (yes?) is equal protection...and any law or amendment could be challenged under the equal protection clause. Also, as both Cheney and Edwards mentioned the other night, marriage has typically been left to the states to regulate, and there is no evidence that states are unfit to regulate it as it stands.

That said, I still like Alan Dershowitz's (!) solution to this problem: The government(s) should simply offer CUs to everyone, and leave the thorny issue of marriage to churches, synagogues, and religious/spiritual denominations to sort out. Then, persons of various consciences and faith traditions are free to continue to recognize or not recognize spiritual unions as they see fit.

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:09 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Just an educated guess, but probably most of these attempted laws will be struck down. A law would have to be worded very carefully, I think, to be able to pass the muster of, say, an equal protection clause in a state constitution.

Which is why, incidentally, I *think* (though I'm no lawyer) a federal ban on gay marriage would ultimately fail. I think the 14th amendment (yes?) is equal protection...and any law or amendment could be challenged under the equal protection clause. Also, as both Cheney and Edwards mentioned the other night, marriage has typically been left to the states to regulate, and there is no evidence that states are unfit to regulate it as it stands.
Pax, you should be a lawyer.

You are correct, the laws must be carefully drafted to avoid running afoul with federal and state equal protection laws (including the 14th amendment).

If left to the states, gay marriage will likely be banned in many, but not all, states. The constitutional amendment approach, while unchallengable in court, is nearly impossible to achieve.
GWB cleverly proposed a method that will appease the voter base that considers this an issue while ensuring that it will likely never happen. It has already failed in both the House and Senate.