Ohio! Illinois! The Angels Need Your Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
Are you in Ohio or Illinois? PLEASE contact you rep TODAY or email someone you know in those states to do so!

THE JUBILEE BILL IS ON ITS WAY TO PASSING but we need 2 more! We can do this! :yes: :up: :hyper: :angel:

Below for details:

The Jubilee Act now has 35 co-sponsors. It has support of the ranking Democrat on the subcommittee where it has been introduced and the #3 Republican (Leach). But we need the top 2 Republicans on the subcommittee if we are to have any hope to move this.

We need special help to target the Chair of the International Monetary policy subcommittee where the bill has been referred: Deborah Pryce (R-OH), and the Vice Chair Judy Biggert (R-IL). We are making progress on Biggert as Jubilee friends in Biggert’s district have secured an in person meeting with her next week. But we need help to ID who has good contacts in Pryce’s district (Columbus West suburbs and West of that) to set a district meeting with her. And we need people to help with DC meetings to both Members here in DC.

Even if you don’t have folks in these areas, please continue to circulate the alert and info (all you need is at www.jubileeusa.org) to keep growing the list of co-sponsors, which helps to build our chances for a hearing.

Thanks for all of your work on this, and your continued efforts.

Don’t forget – next policy WG meeting is set for 4/7, 3:30 pm EST.

Neil

From: Sengstock, Kathleen [mailto:Kathleen.Sengstock@mail.house.gov]
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 12:08 PM
To: Dear Colleague; Financial Srvs REP LA's; Financial Srvs DEM LA's; CBC Contacts; HIRC Repub LA; HIRC - Dem LA's
Cc: + debt Jubilee Neil Watkins
Subject: DEAR COLLEAGUE; Foreign Affairs; Cosponsor the JUBILEE Act

March 15, 2005

Cosponsor the JUBILEE Act

Poor Countries Need Full Debt Cancellation

List of cosponsors as of 3/24/05: Leach, Frank, Bachus, Maloney, Barbara Lee, Serrano, Sanders, George Miller, Payne, Tubbs Jones, Blumenauer, Grijalva, Kaptur, Christensen, Carson, Artur Davis, Rush, Jackson, McCollum, Owens, Kucinich, Rangel, Norton, Cummings, Abercrombie, Sherrod Brown, Farr, McDermott, Towns, Woolsey, Conyers, Wasserman Schultz, Millender-McDonald, Eddie Bernice Johnson, and Schakowsky.

Dear Colleague:

We urge you to cosponsor H.R. 1130, the Justice and Understanding By International Loan Elimination and Equity Act (the JUBILEE Act), a bill to cancel completely the multilateral debts of the world’s poorest countries.

Many impoverished countries are unable to eradicate poverty, develop their economies or provide for the basic needs of their people because of the crushing burden of servicing their multilateral debts. Poor countries in Africa, for example, spend an average of $14 per person on debt service payments to international financial institutions like the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank and only $5 per person on health care. The JUBILEE Act would free poor countries from this cycle of debt, which keeps their people in poverty.

Many of these poor country debts arise from loans to corrupt and brutal dictators, who used the money to enrich themselves and repress their populations and who are no longer in power. Virtually all of the people of these countries received no benefits from these loans, and it is unjust and immoral to require them to bear the burden of paying back the debts.

The JUBILEE Act would cancel completely the multilateral debts of 50 impoverished countries and enable them to invest their resources in HIV/AIDS treatment and prevention, health care, education, clean water, poverty reduction, and other programs that meet human needs. If you want to cosponsor this bill or need further information, please contact Kathleen Sengstock of Congresswoman Waters’ staff at 52201.

Sincerely,

______________________________ ______________________________

/s Maxine Waters /s James A. Leach

/s Barney Frank /s Spencer Bachus

/s Carolyn B. Maloney /s Barbara Lee

I have sent Deborah Pryce several letters before about issues related to ones such as this. She is an alumni at the same sorority chapter I was at in OSU and have personally met her before. What exactly would you like me to do? Send that copy of the email or anything else?

(By the way Sherry, it's been months since I've sent notice and I'm still not on the Angel's list--Has it not been updated in that long? Not a huge deal, but just mildly curious)

Last edited:
STARS, wow! :bow: You have a connection. :D How would you feel about requesting a meeting with her? Neil, our director, and I can help you out with this. Or, of course, phone calls and letters asking her to be a co-sponsor of the Jubilee Act would be amazing, too. Do you have friend or three who might call as well? :D Do you know of any local groups or list serves I might forward this to or contact? My email is cduckwo1@gmu.edu.

As for the website, I'm afraid I am not updating it anymore. Queen Bee is. ( bow: ) Have you emailed or PMed her? I'm so sorry that you're not on the list yet :reject: because you're sure an :angel:

SD

Last edited:
I was philanthropy chair while in my sorority and the money raised from our annual event was donated to her in honor of her charity created for pediatric cancer research since she is an alumni of the same chapter. I've written to her about the situation in Africa and she has responded--last time she did seem to express that it was an issue that struck her after a fact-finding trip (I'm fuzzy on the details cause it's been several months). I would be willing to speak with her about this...I'm afraid of whether or not I would be articulate enough to do so but I'd be more than willing to be proactive in this situation. I can only imagine the world of difference debt cancellation on this scale would create!

If you wish to contact me you can do so at elev8mehere@yahoo.com or on MSN messenger (bonochick@hotmail.com).

Last edited:
Thanks SW! :hug: If you know 3-5 friends who would call Oxley as well, or Pryce for that matter. that'd be amazing. It's all about the numbers! :D

Many thanks to both of you!

SD

Back
Top Bottom