Oh My God...McCain could win if he picks Palin!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Women are a larger block, but most women are not waffling, it is a small overall percentage.

Did you know there are 600,000 registered AA voters in Florida who did not cast a vote in 2004? Additionally, how many tens of thousands have registered in this last year? This block alone can have a huge, huge impact.

Why do you only treat OH and PA as swing states? What happened to CO, NM, NV? The Latino votes don't matter out there?

Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Iowa, and Missouri going Blue won't matter if the Republicans were to win Pennsylvania.

In Florida, McCain has had the lead in 7 of the last 8 polls by an average of more than 3 points. Intrade Real Time Quotes for Florida are 62% for McCain and 38% for Obama.

In addition, many Florida Democrats are not happy about Obama's resistence to counting their votes.

Well, what was the type of Voter that Obama was unable to pick up in his solid defeat in Pennsylvania earlier this year?

It's interesting that you write off Florida while Obama leads in PA by a much more substantial margin in the polls.

Undecided voters who consider her pick to reveal poor judgment by McCain.

"Poor Judgment"????

I'm afraid that will probably be the minority. We'll have to wait and see how she does at the convention and on the stump.

Poor judgment would have been...Romney (the flip flopping Mormon), Lieberman (The pro-choice traitor), Ridge (the pro-choice too-close-to-Bush cronie), Pawlenty (The...just plain BORING)

"Poor Judgment"????

I'm afraid that will probably be the minority. We'll have to wait and see how she does at the convention and on the stump.

Poor judgment would have been...Romney (the flip flopping Mormon), Lieberman (The pro-choice Traitor), Ridge (the pro-choice too-close-to-Bush cronie), Pawlenty (The...just plain BORING)

What a wretched pool McCain had to choose from.

Those of you who think this pick was some kind of brilliant move are rather funny. She might get the conservative base, which either Romney or Ridge would have done(don' t know much about Pawlenty), but she won't get any significant number of Hilary supporters. They're not that dumb. No matter what fantasies you want to delude yourself with.

What a wretched pool McCain had to choose from.

Those of you who think this pick was some kind of brilliant move are rather funny. She might get the conservative base, which either Romney or Ridge would have done(don' t know much about Pawlenty), but she won't get any significant number of Hilary supporters. They're not that dumb. No matter what fantasies you want to delude yourself with.

But it's not just about getting Hillary supporters. I think she, along with Jindal someday, are the future of conservatism in the United States. She, like McCain, has bucked her own party on occasions and includes in her governing some things that are not typical of Republicans of old, like climate change for example. She is attractive (in more ways than one :wink:) to independents, hopefully weary conservatives, and people tired of the same old Washington BS and want someone (in this case, two people) who are equally tough on both political parties. She is a major reformer, from what I've been reading about her.

I think she was a fantastic selection. Romney was my preference, but Palin was second, and I think she'll do just fine. I think right now conservatives are as excited as they have been in this entire election.

i'd vote republican for her based on looks alone.

oh wait, is that sexism?

i'm against sexism, guys.

~david brent

But it's not just about getting Hillary supporters. I think she, along with Jindal someday, are the future of conservatism in the United States.

How is it that you consider stoneage social values the future? Denying science in schools, forcing raped women to bare child, and agreed with Buchanan when he blamed homosexuals for all America's social ills...

This is the future you want?!

How is it that you consider stoneage social values the future? Denying science in schools, forcing raped women to bare child, and agreed with Buchanan when he blamed homosexuals for all America's social ills...

This is the future you want?!

For real. It's beyond belief. It is disheartening to me, as a soon to be 24 year old, to see other young people like myself putting their stock into the right. I'm glad my age group will be voting 95+% for Obama.

And what's her reason?

She has been starting to have doubts about Obama since he won the nomination, and was totally shocked and impressed by McCain's selection for VP. She thinks it was a really bold move by McCain, and unlike other people has been really impressed with what she has read so far about Sarah Palin. She has not made up her mind yet of who she will vote for in November, but she has really been impressed by McCain's move today.

It's interesting that you write off Florida while Obama leads in PA by a much more substantial margin in the polls.

Obama has weaknesses in Pennsylvania, despite what the latest polls might show. Will find out in a week or two if Palin does anything to impact Pennsylvania or not. Ridge would have been better in taking Pennsylvania, but I can see Obama being vulnerable to McCain in western Pennsylvania with Palin on the ticket.

She has been starting to have doubts about Obama since he won the nomination, and was totally shocked and impressed by McCain's selection for VP. She thinks it was a really bold move by McCain, and unlike other people has been really impressed with what she has read so far about Sarah Palin. She has not made up her mind yet of who she will vote for in November, but she has really been impressed by McCain's move today.

Ok, but that doesn't answer the question, you should ask her why she thinks his choice is a bold move...

Is it bold just because...

Or is there a reason?

She doesn't really offer anything to someone who supported an Obama platform, that I can see...

So I just don't get it.

NY Times

August 30, 2008
Op-Ed Columnist
McCain’s Baked Alaska
By GAIL COLLINS
DENVER

It is conceivable that some people will think John McCain picked Sarah Palin to be his running mate because she is a woman. I know you find this shocking, but I swear I have heard it mentioned.

McCain does not believe in pandering to identity politics. He was looking for someone who was well prepared to fight against international Islamic extremism, the transcendent issue of our time. And in the end he decided that in good conscience, he was not going to settle for anyone who had not been commander of a state national guard for at least a year and a half. He put down his foot!

The obvious choice was Palin, the governor of Alaska, whose guard stands as our last best defense against possible attack by the resurgent Russian menace across the Bering Strait.

Also a woman, but that’s totally beside the point.

True, the only nonfamily members other than McCain that Palin really mentioned in her introductory speech were Democrats Geraldine Ferraro and Hillary Rodham Clinton. Whatever happened to Ronald Reagan? Isn’t there a rule that you have to mention Ronald Reagan?

“It was rightly noted in Denver that Hillary made 18 million cracks in the highest, hardest glass ceiling in America,” Palin said. “It turns out the women of America aren’t finished yet, and we can shatter that glass ceiling once and for all.”

O.K., the women thing might have been a little bit of a selling point. Not nearly so much as the national guard commandership, of course. But if the millions of Democratic women who are still ticked off at Obama for stepping in front of Hillary in the line want to look elsewhere ...

John McCain has a low opinion of the vice presidency, which he’s frequently described as a job that involves attending funerals and checking on the health of the president. (Happy 72nd birthday, John!) There’s a lot we don’t know yet about Palin, and I am personally looking forward to deconstructing her role in the Matanuska Maid Dairy closing crisis. But at first glance, she doesn’t seem much less qualified than Tim Pawlenty, the governor of Minnesota who most people thought was the most likely pick. Unlike Joe Lieberman, Palin is a member of the same party as the presidential candidate. And unlike Mitt Romney, she has never gone on vacation with the family dog strapped to the roof of the car.

However, I do feel kind of ticked off at the assumptions that the Republicans seem to be making about female voters. It’s a tad reminiscent of the Dan Quayle selection, when the first George Bush’s advisers decided they could close the gender gap with a cute running mate.

The idea that women are going to race off to vote for any candidate with the same internal plumbing is both offensive and historically wrong. When the sexes have parted company in modern elections, it’s generally been because women are more likely to be Democrats, and more concerned about protecting the social safety net. “The gender gap traditionally has been determined by party preference, not by the gender of the candidate,” said Ruth Mandel of the Eagleton Institute of Politics.

Over the last week, we have heard over and over and over that Tuesday was the anniversary of the day women got the right to vote. (They got it when a state representative in Tennessee, where the House was split on the ratification issue, changed his vote because his mother wrote him a letter telling him to shape up. That’s a story that I would love to get into, but, unfortunately, right now we have Sarah Palin to deal with.)

After that big moment of enfranchisement, women went through a long period in the desert where they had the vote but not much else. Then came the great revolutions of the 1970s, when all the assumptions about the natural divisions between the sexes were challenged. During that era, women could be excited and moved by symbolic candidacies that promised a better, more inclusive future, like Shirley Chisholm’s presidential race and Geraldine Ferraro’s presence on the Democratic national ticket.

This year, Hillary Clinton took things to a whole new level. She didn’t run for president as a symbol but as the best-prepared candidate in the Democratic pack. Whether you liked her or not, she convinced the nation that women could be qualified to both run the country and be commander in chief. That was an enormous breakthrough, and Palin’s nomination feels, in comparison, like a step back.

If she’s only on the ticket to try to get disaffected Clinton supporters to cross over, it’s a bad choice. Joe Biden may already be practicing his drop-dead line for the vice-presidential debate: “I know Hillary Clinton. Hillary Clinton is a friend of mine, and governor, you’re no Hillary Clinton.”

:hmm:

It's statements like this that dismiss so many of your posts. You quote polls left and right when they suit your beliefs but then ignore them when they don't...

Isn't that a common debate technique?

If the right only quoted Rush, where would they be?

Did anybody see the clip they were playing on some programs last night from a Palin interview on CNBC last month? They had asked her about the possibility of being McCain's running mate and her response was, "I won't be able to answer that until someone answers for me what exactly a VP does everyday".:doh: If Americans really think this woman is ready to be a heartbeat away from the presidency, they're out of their minds.:|

I think she, along with Jindal someday, are the future of conservatism in the United States.

Bobby Jindal is a loser who doesn't live up to his promises or his hype as a "reformer." My aunt & uncle in Louisiana are staunch Republicans, and he MAJORLY lost all of their faith and support over his impotence this summer. The LA state legislature planned to increase their OWN salaries by 300% in one fell swoop of a vote. Notice, btw, that a position in the state legislature in LA is seen as a part-time job---they all have "real" jobs to support themselves. Public outcry in Louisiana was louder than Katrina itself. So, the state legislature decided to only increase their salaries by more than double with just over a 100% pay raise in one shot. The bill then went to Jindal's desk. What did he do? He said he strongly opposed the pay increase, but that it's important for the legislature to govern itself. He did not veto. (Louisiana Legislator Pay Raise Approved, Gov. Jindal Will Not Veto and http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/us/24jindal.html?fta=y )

What happened to "Checks and Balances?" What happened to looking out for the people in a state that has been put through the wringer, leaving thousands homeless and poor? What happened to this image and promise of being a reformer? All washed aside for political games and cronyism, and a fear to actually take on the legislature like he promised he would. I look forward to when this guy gets a bigger position in the national spotlight, for in a country that despises self-appointed raises and severance packages for corporate heads and punishes cronyism in politics, this guy's going to have a new one torn into him.

Being an Obama supportor and wanting him to win in November, then I say this was a great move by McCain.

For Obama.:up:

You can't be claiming Palin is not qualified to be President because of her experience and be supporting Obama.

This thread is two weeks old, and you certainly were not claiming she was unqualified before today.

you can't support Palin, and say Obama is inexperienced.
Alaska Business Monthly: We've lost a lot of Alaska's military members to the war in Iraq. How do you feel about sending more troops into battle, as President Bush is suggesting?

Palin: I've been so focused on state government, I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq. I heard on the news about the new deployments, and while I support our president, Condoleezza Rice and the administration, I want to know that we have an exit plan in place; I want assurances that we are doing all we can to keep our troops safe. Every life lost is such a tragedy. I am very, very proud of the troops we have in Alaska, those fighting overseas for our freedoms, and the families here who are making so many sacrifices.

and just to note, Gustav has kicked Palin off the news.

so much for "owning the weekend" -- which was the only rationale for the Palin pick. make some noise, get some attention, and focus on Minneapolis.

and just to note, Gustav has kicked Palin off the news.

so much for "owning the weekend" -- which was the only rationale for the Palin pick. make some noise, get some attention, and focus on Minneapolis.

I don't think so. The goal was to get Obama's speech off the news on Friday, which it most certainly did. Nobody pays attention to the news over the weekend, anyways.

I don't think so. The goal was to get Obama's speech off the news on Friday, which it most certainly did. Nobody pays attention to the news over the weekend, anyways.

there were quotes from McCain staffers about why they wanted to hold the pick until the Friday after Obama's speech so he could "own the weekend."

Gustav has kicked Palin off the news.

what must Rove be thinking now?

"I think [Obama's] going to make an intensely political choice, not a governing choice," Rove said. "He's going to view this through the prism of a candidate, not through the prism of president; that is to say, he's going to pick somebody that he thinks will on the margin help him in a state like Indiana or Missouri or Virginia. He's not going to be thinking big and broad about the responsibilities of president."

Rove singled out Virginia governor Tim Kaine, also a Face The Nation guest, as an example of such a pick.

"With all due respect again to Governor Kaine, he's been a governor for three years, he's been able but undistinguished," Rove said. "I don't think people could really name a big, important thing that he's done. He was mayor of the 105th largest city in America."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom