Oh My God...McCain could win if he picks Palin!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm from Seattle, I just don't see the demographics or the sense in the air that McCain could take it. The biggest problem first, being that no one knows who she is. It's going to be hard to build regional cross over support based on virtually no background.

I agree its unlikely for Washington or Oregon to change much, but I still want to see some fresh post convention Oregon polls.

Female Hillary Clinton supporters, Blue Collar Democrats in Ohio and Western Pennsylvania who have much in common with Blue Collar Democrats in West Virginia who are already voting for McCain, Reagan Democrats, people who would prefer someone who is not inside the beltway of DC, and Independents who are impressed by surprise choices and the risk involved. Fits well with McCains's maverick image that has not been talked about lately.

This could potentially put Colorado back in the Republican catagory as the polls had already tightened up before the pick, plus I'd like to see some polls next week in Oregon which has only been won by the Democrats by less than 5 points in the past two elections.

Absolutely.

I'm not sure how much this will matter, but she is by far the most "normal person" of the four candidates- a Washington outsider from a small town, a very active mom involved with her kids and the community, pro-life, big on the second amendment, and went to the University of Idaho which I'm sure more people can relate to as opposed to Obama attending Harvard or Yale or wherever it was. And I heard that as governor, she abandoned the idea of taking private jets everywhere, and opted to fly commercial or drive as much as she could.

Absolutely.

I'm not sure how much this will matter, but she is by far the most "normal person" of the four candidates- a Washington outsider from a small town, a very active mom involved with her kids and the community, pro-life, big on the second amendment, and went to the University of Idaho which I'm sure more people can relate to as opposed to Obama attending Harvard or Yale or wherever it was. And I heard that as governor, she abandoned the idea of taking private jets everywhere, and opted to fly commercial or drive as much as she could.

so we're not worried about experience and judgment and competence and the ability to take over if/when McCain keels over from cancer or old age?

we want a talk show host?

Actually thinking about this more, I'm really confused- people are ascribing to Sarah Palin qualities one might expect from a Joe Lieberman selection. In that case, you could actually see by his pro-war and pro-choice record that he's in the mushy middle between Democrat and Republican and could appeal to conservative Democrats. But...I don't know, someone could explaln.

I get the Woman part because she is a Woman and Hillary voters like Women, but I don't get the other parts. Maybe put a different way- how does Palin increase appeal to conservative Democrats in a way that McCain didn't already? I've read a bit that this was nailing down the conservative evangelical base, not an outreach to plunder Democratic votes- that was McCain The Maverick's gig.

You remember Obama's little qoute that got him in trouble with Democrats in Western Pennsylvania?

After weighing the negatives and the positives, the McCain team obviously decided that they would gain more with Palin on the ticket than Ridge. There are some people who are supporting McCain who might have stayed home if he had picked a pro-choice running mate. But how many current McCain supporters are going to stay home or vote for Obama because of Palin's inexperience? So, she does less harm to McCains base of support attracts more Democrats and Independents across the country, even though if we were just looking at Pennsylvania, Ridge would be better.

hence, it was a 100% political pick and shows us that John McCain is only interested in winning and not in actually putting the interests of the country, and his true responsibility when it comes to picking a VP, first.

this has shown us that there is no "there" there for all of McCain's blustery talk about honor.

so we're not worried about experience and judgment and competence

Of course we are. But you can't deny that this is what some people vote on, or at least are influenced by. You yourself have referrenced many times the people who voted for Bush because they'd like to have a beer with him. :shrug:

if/when McCain keels over from cancer or old age?

You seem a little anxious for this to happen...

ATTENTION: ALL OBAMA SUPPORTERS

You better hope that John McCain isn't smarter than you think and actually picks Sarah Palin as his choice for VP. It's looking like she'd be the perfect choice...here's why...

- A Woman ( she would no doubt bring thousands of Hillary supporters to McCains camp)
-

How incredibly condescending and insulting to the millions of female Hillary supporters. As if all they wanted was a woman. But a typically sexist thought process for conservatives.

You remember Obama's little qoute that got him in trouble with Democrats in Western Pennsylvania?

OK, but what positions does Palin have that take advantage of that? Or moreso then any advantage McCain would have had by Bitter?

How incredibly condescending and insulting to the millions of female Hillary supporters. As if all they wanted was a woman. But a typically sexist thought process for conservatives.

They're out there, believe me. There are a ton of Hillary-turned-McCain supporters and blogs out there. I can't tell you the number of various posts or comments I've read on various sites from such women. Call it low if you want, but it's a smart move. Will it bring in most Hillary supports? Unlikely. But it has the potential to be extremely effective.

Although there are conservatives on this board making this argument, I don't think Harry is a conservative. I'm not sure what he is.

so we're not worried about experience and judgment and competence and the ability to take over if/when McCain keels over from cancer or old age?

we want a talk show host?

I am concerned. But I'm confident she has far better judgement than Obama and Obama only has slightly more experience than she does.

I think the part of middle America that is looking for someone from outside of Washington will find they have more in common with her than they do with Obama.

Of course we are. But you can't deny that this is what some people vote on, or at least are influenced by. You yourself have referrenced many times the people who voted for Bush because they'd like to have a beer with him. :shrug:

hence, this is why the pick undermines McCain's whole argument against Obama.

You seem a little anxious for this to happen...

if you're insinuating that i actually want McCain to die, then fuck off.

someone who is 72 years old and has had skin cancer 4 times is a huge health risk. he would be lucky if he makes it to 80. that's not a wish, that's a fact.

HOW MANY OF YOU WOMAN WOULD TURN YOUR BACK ON THE ISSUES IN ORDER TO JUST VOTE FOR ANOTHER WOMAN?

Because Sting, 2861U2, Harry Vest, and other men believe you will. Maybe I know nothing about women. :shrug:

hence, it was a 100% political pick and shows us that John McCain is only interested in winning and not in actually putting the interests of the country, and his true responsibility when it comes to picking a VP, first.

this has shown us that there is no "there" there for all of McCain's blustery talk about honor.

Thats absurd. McCain has done far more for this country than Biden/Obama combined. Your not going to win that arguement against John McCain who has 23 years of active duty military service.

Thats absurd. McCain has done far more for this country than Biden/Obama combined. Your not going to win that arguement against John McCain who has 23 years of active duty military service.

:lol:

right, military service trumps all. did you know McCain was a POW?

you'd be much happier with a junta, like Burma. maybe then you can mindlessly idolize anyone who's ever put on a uniform and disregard all their flaws.

the above is what McCain has now been reduced to. "YOU CAN'T SAY THAT I DO THINGS ONLY FOR POLITICAL PURPOSES BECAUSE I WAS IN THE MILITARY!!!"

pathetic.

i'll tell you what this pick was about. it was about trying to "win" the news cycle. that's it. McCain has met her TWICE. most of his aides don't know anything about her, just like us. this was a gamble by a desperate campaign. this was a calculated, strategic decision designed for 24/7 cable news.

it's a gimmick.

Okay... chill, people! I'm gonna diffuse the tension here by saying she looks a lot more like Julia Louis-Dreyfus than Tina Fey! I look forward to seeing Seinfeld's Elaine on SNL. :D

hence, this is why the pick undermines McCain's whole argument against Obama.

if you're insinuating that i actually want McCain to die, then fuck off.

someone who is 72 years old and has had skin cancer 4 times is a huge health risk. he would be lucky if he makes it to 80. that's not a wish, that's a fact.

McCain's mom is 96, and sharper and smarter than most Democrats attacking her sons age.

HOW MANY OF YOU WOMAN WOULD TURN YOUR BACK ON THE ISSUES IN ORDER TO JUST VOTE FOR ANOTHER WOMAN?

Because Sting, 2861U2, Harry Vest, and other men believe you will. Maybe I know nothing about women. :shrug:

*sigh*

Since you apparently don't believe such people exist...

index - over one million visits over the last 6 weeks

Hillary Supporters for McCain

Clintons4McCain -- Because the President should be ELECTED not selected!

Clinton Supporters For McCain Before Obama

Count Us Out

Democrats for McCain - Home

I could give you a dozen more examples. I'm not saying it's a smart or principled move based on issues, but they exist. If you despise the idea, take it up with these women or Obama, not me or John McCain.

McCain's mom is 96, and sharper and smarter than most Democrats attacking her sons age.

that's silly. has she had cancer 4 times? my grandfather's mother and aunts lived until their late 90s. that didn't stop him from dying of cancer when he was 76.

it's a legitimate concern. and given McCain's various senior moments on the campaign trail this year -- something, to their credit, the Obama campaign has not pounced on -- we have reason to be concerned we'll get Reagan's second term during McCain's first.

*sigh*

Since you apparently don't believe such people exist...

index - over one million visits over the last 6 weeks

Hillary Supporters for McCain

Clintons4McCain -- Because the President should be ELECTED not selected!

Clinton Supporters For McCain Before Obama

Count Us Out

Democrats for McCain - Home

I could give you a dozen more examples. I'm not saying it's a smart or principled move based on issues, but they exist. If you despise the idea, take it up with these women or Obama, not me or John McCain.

omg, you found websites? wow!

:lol:

right, military service trumps all. did you know McCain was a POW?

you'd be much happier with a junta, like Burma. maybe then you can mindlessly idolize anyone who's ever put on a uniform and disregard all their flaws.

the above is what McCain has now been reduced to. "YOU CAN'T SAY THAT I DO THINGS ONLY FOR POLITICAL PURPOSES BECAUSE I WAS IN THE MILITARY!!!"

pathetic.

Your not going to win the election by questioning McCain's committment to this country. Even team Obama knows that.

Your not going to win the election by questioning McCain's committment to this country. Even team Obama knows that.

i question his commitment to the country when it comes to this presidential race.

he gave us a gimmick as a VP. it was his responsibility to give us someone who could serve as president.

i'm not running the Obama campaign. i don't have to worry about these things.

i'm telling you what you know to be the bald-faced truth.

Palin is a gimmick. McCain has met her once.

McCain has failed in his first big decision as the nominee.

and you know it.

*sigh*

You're missing my point. And your own sexism is seeping in as well. I asked for women, because that's what I keep hearing. You showed me a bunch of Hillary supporters that are for McCain, why assume they are all women?

They're out there, believe me. There are a ton of Hillary-turned-McCain supporters and blogs out there. I can't tell you the number of various posts or comments I've read on various sites from such women. Call it low if you want, but it's a smart move. Will it bring in most Hillary supports? Unlikely. But it has the potential to be extremely effective.

It also has the potential to be a complete disaster, especially when the consitutional law professor and the foreign relations chair start talking to her about things like, well, the Constitution, international law, Zimbabwe, Georgia, etc. It'll be interesting to see the look on the face of the former mayor of Wasilla, Alaska as she tries to sound like someone we can feel confident with, as she stands next to the 72-year-old McCain, one breath away from being the leader of the free world.

But maybe you're right. Who cares about any of that if she can gut a Salmon and shoot a gun? If she can do that, then there's 40 million Americans who will want to have a beer with her. And we know what that means.

For women who are lifelong pro-choice Democrats--no chance this will be The Thing That Wins Them Over, Hillary supporter or not.

For female Hillary supporters who were angered enough by the results of the Dem primary to have already announced their intent to either A) vote McCain purely as a fuck-you protest vote or B) stay home, their minds were already made up anyway, so this has no effect on them either.

For male and female independents and swing voters who voted for Hillary in the primaries not because they were sure they wouldn't vote McCain, but because they saw that McCain already had the Republican nomination wrapped up and wanted a voice in picking whom they saw as the best Democratic competition for their vote--this might make them more likely to vote for McCain, depending on where their main points of agreement with his platform lie and what this pick signals to them about his priorities (pro-life independents for example, or fiscally conservative independents). But that has nothing to do with being a 'bitter Hillary supporter'--it's about being an independent. Ditto for the 'gal you can have a beer with' independents--obviously strong ideological Democrats or Republicans aren't going to choose their candidates that way in the first place.

For conservative women--of course they'll vote for this ticket. They would have no matter who McCain's Veep pick was.

i question his commitment to the country when it comes to this presidential race.

he gave us a gimmick as a VP. it was his responsibility to give us someone who could serve as president.

i'm not running the Obama campaign. i don't have to worry about these things.

i'm telling you what you know to be the bald-faced truth.

Palin is a gimmick. McCain has met her once.

McCain has failed in his first big decision as the nominee.

and you know it.

"FAILED"
Hardly. Romney, Ridge, Pawlenty, Lieberman...now that would have been "FAILED". This was one of the smartest, shrewdest picks of our lifetime. Just wait. And this is from someone who doesn't want the Republican's in for another four years. I'm already scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom