Oh My God...McCain could win if he picks Palin!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a bit silly to argue that a Senator with 3 years of experience and the most liberal voting record in the Senate is qualified to be President, but a conservative governor in office for 2 years is not.

did you just dust off the talking points?

everyone knows that "most liberal voting record" is applied to whatever democrat happens to be running that year.

yes, Obama is vastly more qualified to be president than Sarah Palin.

but, please, go ahead and make that case. it should be entertaining.

Actually I don't think Obama can really press the case against Palin as inexperience- but it balances the playing field. Each ticket now has an old fart and a relative neophyte. I think Obama has more experience then Palin, but it's not an important distinction.

McCain can't say that experience is the most important thing- he just picked a VP without any. He clearly thinks Palin helps in other ways, so maybe there will be a stalemate on this issue.

Oh yeah, Scott Rasmussen has mid-convention numbers. The most important thing:
Link
Obama is now supported by 83% of Democrats, up from 79% a week ago.

A 4 point jump midway through the convention. If he finishes around 86-87% he's basically erased the reluctant Hillary vote.

I think Obama has more experience then Palin, but it's not an important distinction.

Obama's experience has been on a national and (to some extent) a world stage. Palin's experience has been in a state with under a million people. Obama is also a lot smarter and more educated.

mccainpalin.jpg

Another little tid bit of info, Americans have selected a ticket in each election for the past 40 years with a governor on it, except in 1988. You have to go back to the early 1960s to find a time when the Democrats won the Presidency without having a governor on the ticket.

A known Governor...:doh:

I said it was going to go Democrat even though it's pretty much indisputable that it's a swing state. I still believe that. It's been consistent for numerous elections.

My county, for your reference, is pretty balanced, slightly Republican but moving Democrat: Chester County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chester County has consistently voted for the Republican in every election over the past 40 years. I don't think that is going to change in 2008. If McCain could pick up counties like Erie, Beaver, Washington, Fayette, Luzerne, Northhampton, Lehigh, and Bucks, he could win the state.

Obama's experience has been on a national and (to some extent) a world stage. Palin's experience has been in a state with under a million people. Obama is also a lot smarter and more educated.

How long had Obama been in the US Senate when he announced he was running for President? How would you compare the responsibilities of a State Senator with that of Governor?

Oh, and to borrow a theme from Obama, who does middle America have more in common with, Barrack Obama, or Sarah Palin?

How long had Obama been in the US Senate when he announced he was running for President? How would you compare the responsibilities of a State Senator with that of Governor?

Oh, and to borrow a theme from Obama, who does middle America have more in common with, Barrack Obama, or Sarah Palin?

A fur-skin wearing hunter from Alaska? I think middle America has more in common with Obama.

I hate to say "I told you so" but...I TOLD YOU SO!!!
This was the only pick that might save it for McCain and I can't believe he was that smart. I turned on the T.V. set this morning and was absolutley shocked that he had made this bold move. "Oh Oh" I thought to myself and then called an ardent Democrat (and political junkie) in New York. He too was a little in shock having laughed off my suggestion in the last few weeks. He nervously commented on the age difference of McCain and Palin and cracked a few old man/beauty queen jokes but you could tell he was worried. No other choice, not Ridge, not Romney, not Lieberman, definately not Pawlenty would have come close to bringing more voters McCain's way - and before you start yelling about bitter Hillary voters - that's not what I'm talking about here - than Sarah Palin. At the risk of repeating myself here...She's a woman! She's a mother of five (including a downs syndrome child)!! She's Pro-Life!!! She's a hunter and a fisher(man)!!!! She's fiscally conservative!!!!! She's liked by evangelicals and fiscal conservatives alike!!!!!! And....here's where I'll get in trouble but hear me out...She's hot!!!!!! You may laugh that off or think I'm being sexist but think seriously how America elevates good looks (not just America but everywhere). She seems to have everything but experience (much like Obama)....time will surely tell what kind of a speaker/debater she is but I cannot stress enough what a shrewd and brilliant pick Palin is. Point: how many times have you heard about Obama's brilliant speech last night??? I've been watching the news all day and haven't seen one clip of it!!!! Oh well, time will surely tell. Kinda looking forward to watching this campaign - can't wait to see how she'll do against Biden. All of a sudden things are getting exciting - a nervous kind of exciting, but exciting nevertheless.

WE CAN ONLY HOPE!!! :hyper:

McCAIN - PALIN ALL THE WAY!!! :applaud: :up:

Oh yeah, I remember you making comments about gay marriage being unequal in my journal and then never responding to a bunch of people counter-arguing your statement.

Hi.

I think it's absurd that some people think Democrat women will just vote for any Republican if she's a woman.

did you just dust off the talking points?

everyone knows that "most liberal voting record" is applied to whatever democrat happens to be running that year.

yes, Obama is vastly more qualified to be president than Sarah Palin.

but, please, go ahead and make that case. it should be entertaining.

So, you think Obama's voting record has been unusually conservative for a democrat?

Yes, an arguement can be made that Obama is slightly more experienced having been in the US Senate for just two years when he announced he was running for President. At the same time, Sarah Palin has experience from being governor that neither McCain, Biden, or Obama has.

Over the past 40 years, the American Public has shown a preference for Presidential tickets with governor's. A governor has been on the winning ticket every time, except 1988.

In addition, the McCain/Palin ticket is a more outside the beltway of Washington ticket than the Obama/Biden ticket.

:shrug: Yeah, but....it's just anecdotal. That sort of evidence is pretty useless in terms of gauging overall public opinion. For all we know, the sort of people you talk to are predisposed to dislike a Palin pick.

This is true, for the most part, but I always think it's an interesting gauge to use, especially after repeatedly being blinded with statistic after statistic.

I've still yet to hear anyone outside of the Internet praise this move.

I hate to say "I told you so" but...I TOLD YOU SO!!!
This was the only pick that might save it for McCain and I can't believe he was that smart. I turned on the T.V. set this morning and was absolutley shocked that he had made this bold move. "Oh Oh" I thought to myself and then called an ardent Democrat (and political junkie) in New York. He too was a little in shock having laughed off my suggestion in the last few weeks. He nervously commented on the age difference of McCain and Palin and cracked a few old man/beauty queen jokes but you could tell he was worried. No other choice, not Ridge, not Romney, not Lieberman, definately not Pawlenty would have come close to bringing more voters McCain's way - and before you start yelling about bitter Hillary voters - that's not what I'm talking about here - than Sarah Palin. At the risk of repeating myself here...She's a woman! She's a mother of five (including a downs syndrome child)!! She's Pro-Life!!! She's a hunter and a fisher(man)!!!! She's fiscally conservative!!!!! She's liked by evangelicals and fiscal conservatives alike!!!!!! And....here's where I'll get in trouble but hear me out...She's hot!!!!!! You may laugh that off or think I'm being sexist but think seriously how America elevates good looks (not just America but everywhere). She seems to have everything but experience (much like Obama)....time will surely tell what kind of a speaker/debater she is but I cannot stress enough what a shrewd and brilliant pick Palin is. Point: how many times have you heard about Obama's brilliant speech last night??? I've been watching the news all day and haven't seen one clip of it!!!! Oh well, time will surely tell. Kinda looking forward to watching this campaign - can't wait to see how she'll do against Biden. All of a sudden things are getting exciting - a nervous kind of exciting, but exciting nevertheless.

Damn right. I thought about it a long time ago, but quickly went away from it. I was stunned when I saw she had been selected, and thought maybe perhaps it was a rumor that was going to turn out not to be true. I think its the type of selection McCain needed to make. I do wonder if Ridge would have been better, but we won't really know that until we see some more polling nationally and in some states.

I would love to see some new polls in Oregon and maybe even Washington. Alaska is thousands of miles away, but I sense some people in those states might really identify with the pick. Oregon was a possible swing state as the Democrats have won the state by less than 5 points in the last two elections. Survey USA currently has Obama only up by 3 points there, but Rasmussen has Obama up by 10 points in Oregon. Any ways, it would be interesting to see if there is any impact on a state like Oregon with this type of a pick.

I think picking her will play well in Colorado where the polls suddenly become very tight.

Anyways, nice pick, both her, and by you.:wink:

Damn right. I thought about it a long time ago, but quickly went away from it. I was stunned when I saw she had been selected, and thought maybe perhaps it was a rumor that was going to turn out not to be true. I think its the type of selection McCain needed to make. I do wonder if Ridge would have been better, but we won't really know that until we see some more polling nationally and in some states.

I would love to see some new polls in Oregon and maybe even Washington. Alaska is thousands of miles away, but I sense some people in those states might really identify with the pick. Oregon was a possible swing state as the Democrats have won the state by less than 5 points in the last two elections. Survey USA currently has Obama only up by 3 points there, but Rasmussen has Obama up by 10 points in Oregon. Any ways, it would be interesting to see if there is any impact on a state like Oregon with this type of a pick.

I think picking her will play well in Colorado where the polls suddenly become very tight.

Thanks. No offence meant here but how would Ridge be a better choice???
He's NOT a woman. He's part of the Bush administration. He's pro-choice (forget about the evangelical vote) and he's simply not that exciting. That's not saying he's not qualified but I just can't see him netting as many votes for McCain as Palin. She just seems to have it all. NOTE: Even though she's apparently pro-life she doesn't come off as self righteous about it and therefore is perfect for the centrist independents. She's a mother of five - people kind of expect that she will be pro-life. It won't be a hinderance as some believe, in fact she'll win the votes of millions of soccer mom's (and Dad's). All I know is that this election just got a whole lot more exciting.

This is to anyone:

Who does McCain pick up with Palin, that he wouldn't with Romney or any other conservative Republican?

Female Hillary Clinton supporters, Blue Collar Democrats in Ohio and Western Pennsylvania who have much in common with Blue Collar Democrats in West Virginia who are already voting for McCain, Reagan Democrats, people who would prefer someone who is not inside the beltway of DC, and Independents who are impressed by surprise choices and the risk involved. Fits well with McCains's maverick image that has not been talked about lately.

This could potentially put Colorado back in the Republican catagory as the polls had already tightened up before the pick, plus I'd like to see some polls next week in Oregon which has only been won by the Democrats by less than 5 points in the past two elections.

I'm from Seattle, I just don't see the demographics or the sense in the air that McCain could take it. The biggest problem first, being that no one knows who she is. It's going to be hard to build regional cross over support based on virtually no background.

She's a mother of five - people kind of expect that she will be pro-life.

really?

i know a mother of five, and she had an abortion! a late one too! you know why! because the baby would have been born without a brain!

i find the political analysis of McCain's strange pick to be compelling only on the shallowest of analysis.

if anyone digs just a little bit, they'll see how undermining this pick is to his entire campaign, and just what fools it thinks women actually are.

You can check where she stands (or not stands, since there's no recorded position) at ontheissues.org: Sarah Palin on the Issues

Yeah...needs to develop or adopt positions on some major national/international issues. I'm sure she'll get plenty of help and direction now.

Sarah Palin on Budget & Economy
Aim to reduce general fund spending by $150 million. (Jan 2007)

Sarah Palin on Civil Rights
Marriage only be between and man and a woman. (Nov 2006)

Sarah Palin on Corporations
No issue stance yet recorded by OnTheIssues.org.

Sarah Palin on Crime
If legislature passed death penalty law, I would sign it. (Nov 2006)

Sarah Palin on Drugs

Sarah Palin on Education
Fully fund K-12 and support early funding of education. (Jan 2007)

Sarah Palin on Energy & Oil
Stranded Gas Development Act no longer applies. (Nov 2006)
Get ANWR open. (Nov 2006)

Sarah Palin on Environment
Provide stability in regulations for developers. (Jan 2007)
Convince the rest of the nation to open ANWR. (Jan 2007)

Sarah Palin on Families & Children

Sarah Palin on Foreign Policy

Sarah Palin on Free Trade

Sarah Palin on Government Reform

Sarah Palin on Gun Control
Supports Constitutional right to bear arms. (Nov 2006)

Sarah Palin on Health Care
Flexibility in government regulations to allow competition. (Nov 2006)

Sarah Palin on Homeland Security
Promote from within, in Alaska's National Guard. (Nov 2006)

Sarah Palin on Immigration

Sarah Palin on Jobs

Sarah Palin on Local Issues

Sarah Palin on Principles & Values

Sarah Palin on Social Security
Fund the Seniors Longevity Bonus Program. (Nov 2006)

Sarah Palin on Tax Reform
Repeal "nuisance taxes" including the tire tax. (Jan 2007)

Sarah Palin on Technology

Sarah Palin on War & Peace

Sarah Palin on Welfare & Poverty

This is to anyone:

Who does McCain pick up with Palin, that he wouldn't with Romney or any other conservative Republican?

-Evangelicals (Romney's a Mormon - he'd get some evangleical votes but not all of them - she will!!!) Also, if he had picked Lieberman or Ridge (pro-choice) the party would have imploded.

- Women
No I don't necessarily mean all of Hillary's supporters - I mean centrist independent soccer mom's all over the country that normally couldn't give a fuck about Romney, Ridge, Lieberman, Pawlenty or any other boring white male.

- Good ol' boy's
Yep. Call me sexist but Sarah Palin is HOT!!! AND she likes to hunt and fish and is a lifelong member of the NRA. Tell me that's not going to excite alot of good ol' boy's that may have stayed at home this year.

- Young Republican women (and men for that matter) that normally may have written this one off to Obama

Am I missing anyone???

Female Hillary Clinton supporters, Blue Collar Democrats in Ohio and Western Pennsylvania who have much in common with Blue Collar Democrats in West Virginia who are already voting for McCain, Reagan Democrats, people who would prefer someone who is not inside the beltway of DC, and Independents who are impressed by surprise choices and the risk involved. Fits well with McCains's maverick image that has not been talked about lately.

I get the Woman part because she is a Woman and Hillary voters like Women, but I don't get the other parts. Maybe put a different way- how does Palin increase appeal to conservative Democrats in a way that McCain didn't already? I've read a bit that this was nailing down the conservative evangelical base, not an outreach to plunder Democratic votes- that was McCain The Maverick's gig.

really?

i know a mother of five, and she had an abortion! a late one too! you know why! because the baby would have been born without a brain!

i find the political analysis of McCain's strange pick to be compelling only on the shallowest of analysis.

if anyone digs just a little bit, they'll see how undermining this pick is to his entire campaign, and just what fools it thinks women actually are.

You couldn't be more wrong.:huh:

She's the gal you can have a beer with, I guess.
just what fools it thinks women actually are.
Susan Estrich has an article at FOX's website about this today--that as a Hillary supporter, she finds the idea that this is supposed to send her giddily running towards McCain as just another sexist kick in the head from a media that never understood Hillary supporters in the first place.

(ETA: Now conservative-leaning women, obviously that's a different story.)
i know a mother of five, and she had an abortion!
Yes, most of the women I've known personally who had abortions (that I knew of) also had/have multiple children.

Last edited:
Thanks. No offence meant here but how would Ridge be a better choice???
He's NOT a woman. He's part of the Bush administration. He's pro-choice (forget about the evangelical vote) and he's simply not that exciting. That's not saying he's not qualified but I just can't see him netting as many votes for McCain as Palin. She just seems to have it all. NOTE: Even though she's apparently pro-life she doesn't come off as self righteous about it and therefore is perfect for the centrist independents. She's a mother of five - people kind of expect that she will be pro-life. It won't be a hinderance as some believe, in fact she'll win the votes of millions of soccer mom's (and Dad's). All I know is that this election just got a whole lot more exciting.

If Ridge had not been a popular governor of Pennsylvania, I would agree with you. My position is based on the ability of Ridge to turn Pennsylvania red and have smaller impacts on Ohio and Virginia. If McCain loses, and loses by a large margin in Pennslvania, then Ridge probably would not have helped. Ridge would have a definite impact in Pennsylvania, more than Sarah Palin would, and if McCain only loses the election and only loses by a little in Pennsylvania, then I think having had Ridge on the ticket would won the state for him and there for the election.

At the the same time, having Ridge on the ticket would do some damage because he is Pro-Choice. They always say when picking a VP, "do no harm. But I think McCain needs to take a risk in order to win. The question is, what was the bigger risk, Ridge's Pro-Choice position, or Palin's inexperience?

After weighing the negatives and the positives, the McCain team obviously decided that they would gain more with Palin on the ticket than Ridge. There are some people who are supporting McCain who might have stayed home if he had picked a pro-choice running mate. But how many current McCain supporters are going to stay home or vote for Obama because of Palin's inexperience? So, she does less harm to McCains base of support attracts more Democrats and Independents across the country, even though if we were just looking at Pennsylvania, Ridge would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom