Oh My God...McCain could win if he picks Palin!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't this pick is primarily aimed at Hillary voters--the (roughly) fifth of them who've indicated in polls that they'd vote for McCain is too small a portion of the electorate (about 2.6%), and not concentrated in swing states. I think it's mostly aimed at independents and undecideds who might be attracted by a unique shot of "personality" for a ticket that was lacking in it. And at no cost to the base--she lacks the experience of a Ridge or a Romney, but has all the right stances.

I don't this pick is primarily aimed at Hillary voters--the (roughly) fifth of them who've indicated in polls that they'd vote for McCain is too small a portion of the electorate (about 2.6%), and not concentrated in swing states. I think it's mostly aimed at independents and undecideds who might be attracted by a unique shot of "personality" for a ticket that was lacking in it. And at no cost to the base--she lacks the experience of a Ridge or a Romney, but has all the right stances.

Obama revealed that he has weakness in Pennsylvania and Ohio, especially Western Pennsylvania. I think Ridge would have been a better choice, but I can definitely see Palin helping out and taking some of these voters.

Obama is not going to win West Virginia, and now he will lose by an even larger margin there. Democrats have not won without taking West Virginia since 1916. West Virginia is demographically and politically similar to parts of Western Pennsyvlania and eastern and south eastern Ohio.

But, will see how all the polls adjust in the coming days.

I just read up on her, she's a moose hunter, fur wearer, has a son named "Track" who joined the army on the anniversary of 9-11, has another son named 'Trigger' who was born this year, with down's syndrome, and she didn't get an abortion even after she found out he had it. Her husband works for BP oil and she's a proponent of drilling in Alaska. She's against gay marriage. If she were a man, she'd be criticized, but being a woman, it's not PC, which is probably why he took her. She is really inexperienced and unknown, and hardly the best person to be second in line to a man McCain's age.

NOBAMA '08'

have fun. there's some awesome blurbs in that community like:

"thy say mccain only nominated a woman because it'll trump the fact that obama is black.
but not only does it TRUMP his race, she also EMBARRASSES his record, "experience", and pretty much overall character.

bravo mccain. make obama cower."

and

"she has more experience than biden and obama combined. "

Palin is 44, Obama 47. She served in her statehouse 20 months. Obama served in his statehouse for eight years. Obama and Palin are running less on their resumes than on they are on their promise. The promise of change and new politics.

and to imagine; the amount of "doggone it's" and "darn it's" and "i'm so hopping mad's" that must have come out of his mouth.

i hope no children were present.

He'll get past it he always does; he knows it is about the country and not himself.

Give him a new set of hair gel and speaking assignments and he'll be whole again.

Mitt gets geeked on serving; not position or power.

:)

<>

Look at what happened to Barack Obama in Pennsylvania and Ohio. Thats all the evidence one needs to know that this was a good pick for McCain, although I still think Ridge would have been better.

No it's not

It's not. He lost, because a majority of Democrats preferred Clinton over Obama in those states. That has absolutely no bearing on the completely separate match of Obama vs. McCain/Palin.

With Ferraro on the Democratic ticket, Reagan won 56% of their vote.

Give him a new set of hair gel and speaking assignments and he'll be whole again.

unbranded-just-for-men-shampoo-in-hair-colour-natural-medium-brown.jpg

Which means he would have won the election with who on the ticket?:wink:

Maybe he could've got Bush to run as VP.....
could've worked.....people were stupid enough to vote for him twice.

are they completely retarded?:|

They went full retard.

I can't believe what I read in there. What bothers me most about people who argue politics is that they just have no idea what they're talking about and rather than educate themselves on what they're talking about they just talk out of their asses.

well, Democrats, now is the time to ask yourselves the same question that Republicans have been asking themselves since 2004:

"how do we beat the bitch?"

I mean seriously, you feel more comfortable knowing that your country could be ran by a former beauty queen with less experience than Obama (in the instance that the aging McCain could die)

Another little tid bit of info, Americans have selected a ticket in each election for the past 40 years with a governor on it, except in 1988. You have to go back to the early 1960s to find a time when the Democrats won the Presidency without having a governor on the ticket.

There's no point getting worked up over the 'Nobama' people...their website name says it all already. Worry about what appeal this pick will or won't have for actual undecided and independent voters.

Every person I've talked to today (note: numerous undecided PA voters involved!) has thought this was a bad move, including my independent, undecided (though McCain-leaning) mother.

So, while STING has his biased numbers and logic, I have the real people to talk to. In a swing state. Everyone seems to think it's a joke.

In terms of political strategy, who do you think would have been McCains best pick?

for me, someone who would have told us that McCain was taking the appointment with some degree of seriousness beyond sheer political calculation. someone who was clearly qualified to be president, especially when one is 72 years old and has survived cancer 4 times.

that would be the first thing. for me.

as much as i've come to dislike Joe Lieberman, he would have at least reaffirmed the "core" McCain "values" he's cultivated with the media that once made him the most appealing national Republican figure.

In terms of political strategy, who do you think would have been McCains best pick?

Depends on your strategy. I personally think Lieberman would have been a good choice for the independent side of things, which is what McCain needs.

So, while STING has his biased numbers and logic, I have the real people to talk to. In a swing state. Everyone seems to think it's a joke.

Interesting. Earlier this year, you seem to claim that Pennsylvania was not a swing state. Solid Blue.

Also, Pennsylvania is a lot bigger than simply Philadelphia and the nearby counties, the only part of Pennsylvania Obama was able to win in the primary.

Interesting. Earlier this year, you seem to claim that Pennsylvania was not a swing state. Solid Blue.

Also, Pennsylvania is a lot bigger than simply Philadelphia and the nearby counties, the only part of Pennsylvania Obama was able to win in the primary.

I said it was going to go Democrat even though it's pretty much indisputable that it's a swing state. I still believe that. It's been consistent for numerous elections.

My county, for your reference, is pretty balanced, slightly Republican but moving Democrat: Chester County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every person I've talked to today (note: numerous undecided PA voters involved!) has thought this was a bad move, including my independent, undecided (though McCain-leaning) mother.

:shrug: Yeah, but....it's just anecdotal. That sort of evidence is pretty useless in terms of gauging overall public opinion. For all we know, the sort of people you talk to are predisposed to dislike a Palin pick.

for me, someone who would have told us that McCain was taking the appointment with some degree of seriousness beyond sheer political calculation. someone who was clearly qualified to be president, especially when one is 72 years old and has survived cancer 4 times.

that would be the first thing. for me.

as much as i've come to dislike Joe Lieberman, he would have at least reaffirmed the "core" McCain "values" he's cultivated with the media that once made him the most appealing national Republican figure.

Its a bit silly to argue that a Senator with 3 years of experience and the most liberal voting record in the Senate is qualified to be President, but a conservative governor in office for 2 years is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom